Must have drivers?!!?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby superq » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:46 pm

wraith is a little to understable for a bigger arm, if you are generating 375 on your D shots then when you are on the course that is fairly open you are going to be rolling the pro wraith, the star wraith is way to touchy until Innova changes the mold (I have destroyed three of them in one shot each) for pure max D you have to look at lighter dx valks or dx wraiths for straight shots, I would also highly recomend throwing more midrange discs, whatever you are comfortable with, I can throw my mids about 85% of my total D so assuming I can throw a Spirit 475 and an Element 365-385.

when you throw a mid you are less dependant on what the disc does and more focused on throwing it hard and flat, this translates into D for drivers too. I learned the hard way, everyone told me I had to throw a roc, I never could so I forced myself for almost 6 months until I could throw a roc further than most of the guys I was playing with were throwing there drivers.

my.02
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby GetMuddy350 » Tue Aug 29, 2006 1:58 pm

Out of the box, I have never had a problem with the wraith being understable. I prefer the pro wraith to the other plastics simply for the superior grip. That being said after a few months with the Por Wraith, It was a great hyzer flip disc.

As I said right now i'm throwing a 150 dx wraith, and to tell you the truth, I love it. When I can play the wind well with it, it is longer than any other wriath i've thrown, with no wind, its a tad shorter.

I do throw my wasp often for any shot under 300'. @ 300 i'll normally throw a driver and take a bit off (honestly, leading to some inconsistancy). I can throw the Wasp 300', but not too much more..The biggest reason I don't throw it more @ 300' is wind. I'm scared to put too much on it and have it roll over short, or get lifted and die.
GetMuddy350
Noob

Postby zealot » Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:11 pm

i have a dx wraith that lost so much stability with no warp or anything. it just flips over now i cant throw it at all (i dont think anyone could) kinda wierd imo

however, the pro wraith i got is awesome. im sure the star wraiths are as well.

the star tl is a rediculously straight driver. i got my first ace with it the day i got it , so it gets my vote as a must have. haha
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Aug 29, 2006 10:52 pm

i liked pro the most, however I never got to throw a broken in dx
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby zealot » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:22 pm

thats what i mean the dx ones get too understable too quick. i know i hit a few trees but this plastic is even better than the old dx. point is, i think it gets flippy real fast b/c it starts off slightly understable (plz correct me if im wrong anyone)
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Aug 29, 2006 11:25 pm

wraiths are not stable, theyre just speed stable (stable/overstable for those who cant power them, understable for those w/ enough power) so makes sense.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

wraith

Postby twmccoy » Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:19 pm

I've been throwing a newish DX wraith 171g, and it is fairly overstable. You have to roll your wrist to turn it over. Good plastic too. I threw it off a fence and a parking lot and hardly a scratch. I'd say the DX is more overstable than the pro and about even with the star.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby roadkill » Wed Aug 30, 2006 1:48 pm

Jwt4412 wrote:TDK,

Don't get me wrong... I throw Roadrunners, Gazelles, Leopards and Banshees for a reason... I am pleased when I am throwing 280 to 310... I just think 300 to 375 is pretty impressive.

But hey, that's me...

I happen to agree with Thatdirtykid's assessment. Superfast overstable drivers like wraiths will likely hurt more than help a player with 300' golf distance.

I throw 350 golf D and 410' open field D and I consider myself too much of a weenie arm to benefit from the wraith. (I throw a champ orc, SL and champ valk for longer open shots and a goblin or dx leopard for finesse shots.)

What you find "impressive" has little to do with what kind of plastic someone should be throwing. (Btw many of the players I frequently play with throw over 450' consistently, so what is impressive is very relative).

Players should really place a higher priority on control and consistency if they want to shoot better scores. Unfortunately more distance appears to be the holy grail for most and this misplaced priority is causing players to make poor disc choices.

Discs do not make players throw farther. Good technique, conditioning and lots of practice make players throw farther.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby GetMuddy350 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:22 am

SO I purchased a few drivers...

Bought:

2x 150g DX Wraiths
2x 168g DX Wraiths
1x Glow Teebird 170g
1x 168g Pro TL

I LOVE the 150 wraiths. If these aren't the perfect disc for me I don't know what is. During leagues on tuesday I bombed my drive 400+, and made a nice second drive pin high, and hit the putt for my first 3 on a 760' hole @ my home course. Very exciting.

I was throwing them long and straight all round. My only problem was overthrowing some of the 300-325' holes. I also parked a 340' uphill drive to end my round. I've decided that contrary to everyone's advice, the wraiths (especially the lighter weights) are not too much disc for me. They are playing lines as they should, some HS left to right, with a straight soft fade at the end.

My drive is flying further than ever, with less effort than i've ever had. Much of this has to do with changes in driving form taken from this site. I can't wait to unlock more distance.

Now if only I could putt.
GetMuddy350
Noob

Postby redspexxx » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:29 am

161 CE Orc. im gonna have to live without is, as i lost it this weekend. oh well, i wanted to start using tee birds anyways...
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby zealot » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:45 am

when you hit a tree with a dx wraith you'll wish you bought a pro wraith. they have more glide too imo. if you are over shooting 300' holes try a teebird. tons of accuracy and just in that range for an easy toss for you (if you're throwing 400)
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby GetMuddy350 » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:59 am

I have used pro wraiths, I just think the DX is a bit longer. I throw mostly mids in the woods anyways, or i'll throw my teebirds.

My home course is pretty much tree-free. I am going to start throwing th tee-birds on the shorter holes, I just had to try out my new wraiths is all.

I'm pretty pumped about my drive game, as my D has never been very consistant.
GetMuddy350
Noob

Postby Weebl » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:14 pm

lock-off wrote:if you are over shooting 300' holes try a teebird. tons of accuracy and just in that range for an easy toss for you (if you're throwing 400)

Roc.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby zealot » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:24 pm

yeah or the roc. im just a bit shy of 300 with my roc so that was my viewpoint. :D

but im gonna be throwing a roc for that soon hopefully.
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby adamschneider » Thu Sep 07, 2006 4:55 pm

GetMuddy350 wrote:SO I purchased a few drivers...
I LOVE the 150 wraiths. If these aren't the perfect disc for me I don't know what is. During leagues on tuesday I bombed my drive 400+, and made a nice second drive pin high, and hit the putt for my first 3 on a 760' hole @ my home course. Very exciting.

I also get my longest throws out of a 150g DX Wraith, but be careful: after a few rounds, it'll get VERY understable. I now have to release mine almost perpendicular to the ground to have any hope of it coming back to the left at the end of its flight; released anywhere near flat, it dives hard to the right and hits the ground.
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment