wizard vs. challenger

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Do you rate the challenger as more overstable than the wizard?

yes
46%
no
54%

Total votes : 13

wizard vs. challenger

Postby the invisible tree » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:24 pm

I don't believe this has been discussed before. The UFC has these two discs rated as identical. They look quite similar but the Challenger is significantly more overstable on putts, IMO. I have a somewhat beat 170-172 challenger that I used for about 2 months before I switched to wizards. It is more overstable than max weight medium and firm wizards that I have. Do I just have an anomolous disc or could a small adjustment in the flight chart be in order?
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby Rooster » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:30 pm

really depends on the pastic i would say that the in general the wizards are more overstable with the exception of the cryztal.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby the invisible tree » Wed Aug 30, 2006 6:34 pm

I should have noted that the challenger I have is in prod plastic.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Wed Aug 30, 2006 9:30 pm

on short throws, the challenger is substantially more low speed overstable.
on long throws (~275'+) they are nearly identical with the challenger being marginally more low speed overstable (like ~1-4').

the chart has them rated the same because i think it's stupid to try and be too specific. if a wizard is HSS 0, then a KC aviar should technically be like -0.1 and the challenger more like +0.1.

similarly speaking, if the wizard is LSS +2, then the kc aviar should be like +2.1, and the challenger like +2.2. they are still closer to +2 than +2.5.

the slower a disc is moving, the greater the differences will show. when you are putting some nutz on a putter toss, the HSS is the key component, while the LSS is relatively similar across most of the fairly stable putters.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:37 am

What Blake said.

They seem similar to me. I currently use a wizard. If I didn't, I would have to say the banger and challenger would be my next choice.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:08 pm

I would say the challenger has a bit more fade, but breaks in to the point it turns alittle sooner than a wizard. That fade (read as low speed overstable) makes it alittle studier in the wind on shorter shots, while longer ones, I would say they are pretty equal.

I perfer the life and distance I achieve with a wizard, however if one day discraft picked me up I would have less trouble switching from a wizard to a challenger than I would if gateway picked me up and I couldnt throw avengers anymore...
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby the invisible tree » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:24 pm

Sometimes I actually put my nuts on a putt when it's a long one and I've got to start my pitch from about waste level. That doesn't feel good and usually results in misses. W/r/t the chart, it's already the Bible of disc flight information as it is but if you know that there are small differences in flight characteristics I don't see a good reason not to represent them.
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Postby BAM » Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:18 pm

So then what's the difference between the Banger and the Challenger?

As far as I can tell the Banger is the big bead Aviar and the Challenger looks like the small bead. But, I've got a Z Challenger, the Z is similar to the Champ & KC big bead Aviar I have as far as flight goes.

The X Challenger I have took one hit on a tree and now turns over right away, whereas my KC Pro has hit a lot more stuff and doesn't turnover.

Actually, what are the differences between all these putters as well as the other Aviar clones?
BAM
Noob

Return to Equipment