Innova chamion plastic question

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Innova chamion plastic question

Postby koronin » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:15 pm

I'm a novice player who uses a few Innova DX discs (leopard, cheetah, stingray, shark, avair) and am getting the hang of things pretty well. I play in a tightly wooded course and my leopard is getting beat up pretty good and turns over much easier than it used to, I'm guessing due to age/wear?

My question is, is the champion plastic differ much from the DX in terms of control? I've found a nice and light (150, good for me) Champion Leopard and was debating on purchase thinking that it would be about the same but would last longer due to the plastic.

Many thanks,
Jeff
koronin
Tree Magnet

Postby Amateur » Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:42 pm

Champion plastic is more overstable (harder to control for beginners) and usually is the shortest in flight. Discs become more understable as they get beat up.

A Champion Leopard is a great disc for a beginner who likes to hit trees! It will take a long time for you to wear it in (years). Even when you outgrow this disc as a straight driver it will still be useful as a right turnover driver. It will be money well spent in this case.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:09 pm

champion is also generally more inconsistant in terms of control, if you look in any sucessful pros bag, you will be most likey to see discs they use for control in pro-D/DX plastics. DX plastic will also teach you more about your form and in the long run make you a better player.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby dflaschiii » Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:06 pm

I used to love champ plastic because it was so overstable and durable... that was before I really learned how to throw a disc though. Now I only carry one champ disc, the firebird, and that is for spike hyzers or extreme wind. I find that DX plastic has much better feel in my hand, and gets a helluva lot more glide than champs do.

If I was to go back 3 years and start it all over, I would not buy a champ disc that costs twice as much as a DX model. Learning to throw with DX would have improved my game in the finesse and accuracy categories. Only now have I begun to see the light.
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Postby Weebl » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:42 pm

Throwing 150 Putters and mids taught me more about form than DX did. DX taught me how to learn flightpaths and characteristics of different discs, 150 class mids and putters taught me how to throw without torque and learn more accuracy.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby krusen » Fri Sep 01, 2006 7:16 am

There's a lot of good advice here.
I would say to buy it. It might be nice to have something that doesn't change as much when you slam it into a tree. But realize just because it's more expensive, that doesn't mean it's the best, or longest version of the disc.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

champion

Postby twmccoy » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:02 am

I've had nothing but frustration throwing DX discs. They get so beat up the flight path changes dramatically and quickly. I use primarily pro or champion discs and love the consistency of the flight. Yes they are more overstable and may not go as far as DX, but I like the nice consistent flights. I don't buy any of my discs anyway, so cost is no factor here. I can literally throw any model in any plastic.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Sep 01, 2006 3:18 pm

I was going to ask if the majority of dx youve thrown was pond discs or not, sitting in water messes w/ dx more than other plastics, I wonder if that may have effected your opinion also.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

DX

Postby twmccoy » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:08 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:I was going to ask if the majority of dx youve thrown was pond discs or not, sitting in water messes w/ dx more than other plastics, I wonder if that may have effected your opinion also.

Yeah, I'd say about 95% of all the discs I've ever thrown were pond discs. My favorite DX drivers are probably orcs just because they go 400' without even trying. They get dinged up really quickly though. I used to use DX discs at badlands a lot on the water holes. First disc I ever cleared hole 12's pro tee with was a DX valkyrie.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:16 pm

I agree, the dx orc was not a bad disc, but it definately breaks in much faster than any other dx driver ive thrown.

You clear the pond from the pro tee pretty easily now? In the beginning of the summder (the first time I played badlands) It was a very intimidating hole, my D isnt really any better, but so much more consistant, thats almsot become one of my favorite holes now.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby presidio hills » Sat Sep 02, 2006 10:49 am

in my opinion DX doesn't beat in THAT fast. people are always saying it does, but let me tell you... i throw nothing but DX eagles and rocs in a tightly wooded forest and it takes months for me to beat a disc into its next stage of wear.
i only have one super flippy eagle, a few that are fairly flippy, a few that are dead straight, a few that are overstable... and some new ones to join the club some day.
the ones that are "fairly flippy" i use most often and they've just gotten slightly more understable over the last 6 months (mind you i rotate between 3 of 'em). i hit plenty of trees, too, in these parts. this is exactly how i want my driver stash... if i lose something it's not TOO big of a deal. it's easy to choose what to throw. i know my discs really well. etc.

a slightly beat in DX gazelle would be a much better disc than the champ leopard you're considering. i'd buy 2 of those... maybe use one a whole bunch to beat it in to its first stage of wear. then use the other when you need a little more fade or when the wind is a blowing a bit.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby zealot » Sat Sep 02, 2006 3:51 pm

presidio, do you have amazing accuracy? the disc wont wear in if you dont hit trees.

also if you dont have enough snap for 300' it might be hard to do anything to a dx disc. i just know if i rip one really well into a close tree, the disc changes right then and there.
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby presidio hills » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:09 pm

well, if i'm faced with a tight window through the trees, i'm probably not ripping the disc with more than 300' of power. i hit plenty of trees throwing with 300'+ of power, though... maybe the dx eagle mold holds up better than other drivers. i know rocs can take a beating forever before getting 'understable'. gazelles hold up really good, too.
seriously, i think a brand new disc smacking those first couple trees does get changed... but after that i think it takes a while to reach the next stage of wear. with something like the eagle a few tree hits later, it's still pretty overstable, after a few months it gets straight... then a little flippy... then a year later it's a roller.
sure a champ eagle would take about 5 years to become a roller... but i see that as a disadvantage.
different strokes for different folks.
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:15 pm

I agree that DX dosnt beat too fast (other than orcs :-\) however if you like the way the disc flies on its first throw, it will seem to beat fast. I think discs are best after two weeks of use (fairly open course), or mabey 5 or 6 rounds on a wooded course.

If you like the way a disc flies like new, try a different disc.
Goes the same when yorue buying a new mold to try out, dont give up on it until its broken in, especially if the only problem is its too stable.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Bradley Walker » Sat Sep 02, 2006 4:59 pm

presidio hills wrote:in my opinion DX doesn't beat in THAT fast. people are always saying it does, but let me tell you... i throw nothing but DX eagles and rocs in a tightly wooded forest and it takes months for me to beat a disc into its next stage of wear.

I really, really think it depends on the disc.

Eagles and Rocs break in sweet in DX. They will take a ton of abuse considering. I suppose Teebirds would be the same. Cyclones break in slow in D plastic.

Orcs and Beasts are junk after a few trees.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Next

Return to Equipment