DX Teebird?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

DX Teebird?

Postby KRooster » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:36 pm

I throw a 170g DX Valkyrie 300-320' usually, and a typical drive with my Roc takes me around 270'-280'.

There's a hole on the course I usually play that is 295', with forest 15' behind it. I used to use the Valk on this hole, but as I'm getting more consistent I find I need to use the Roc to make sure I don't overshoot the basket. But, I can't reach the basket with the Roc.

Would a Teebird be good for this sort of situation? My drives aren't THAT consistent yet that I feel I should be carrying more kinds of discs..... but I do feel like there is a small gap between the ranges of the Valk and the Roc.

This hole also happens to be the ONLY hole on the course that I need to drive my Roc for max distance because every other hole is longer than 320' or shorter than 240'.... so maybe for the sake of improvement I should just keep throwing the Roc on this hole.

Any thoughts from anyone who has been in a similar situation as a newbie?

As for the Teebird, if I did get a Teebird, would I be good with the same weight that I throw the Valk in?
KRooster
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby zealot » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:39 pm

either way wouldnt be bad

the teebird needs a lil hyzer to flip up just like a valk so it might work well for you in that slot, though i fear you might be able to throw it just as far as your valk. ill leave this one up to someone else on here, but i will say that teebirds are extremely accurate and i think you should give one a toss atleast.
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Sep 02, 2006 5:48 pm

I would say keep working it with the roc, but pick up a teebird for control anyways (at your power a gazelle or cycloen may be better)

one day you will find yourself reaching it with the roc, and will never want to throw that hole another way again.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby presidio hills » Sun Sep 03, 2006 2:37 am

if there's room for it, you could use more hyzer angle on a driver to control the distance. the disc's path will be just as far, but you'll land shorter, in other words
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby garublador » Sun Sep 03, 2006 7:00 am

I'd say to try playing with just your Rocs and putters for a couple of rounds and get better at throwing your Roc, and whatever putter you use, for distance. I do that every few weeks and I always surprise myself. I think that would be a better solution for a hole like that. I'd rather come up short and have a 15'-20' putt than risk going in the woods.

In the long term, I think it may be worth while finding a control driver inbetween a Roc and a Valk, too. I use Teebirds for when I want straight distance and Gazelles for when I want some sort of a line that isn't straight, but there are many discs out there that work well.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Jones » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:07 am

On that hole, if you are throwing 280 or so with a roc, doesn't that give you about a 15 or 20 foot putt? Also, have you tried throwing the roc with a little more height?
Jones
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby KRooster » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:20 am

Well a 280' drive would be towards the upper range of my drives with the Roc. Usually 275' is more like what I throw, sometimes less.
KRooster
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:07 am

I would say if you are consistantly getting yourself within 35' (which means a chance for bird) you should stick to the roc, you may park the hole more often w/ a driver, but your overall consistancy will be better with the roc.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Return to Equipment