Star Monster

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Star Monster

Postby Bradley Walker » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:17 am

I only have ONE disc left to finish my bag after my latest re-do.

I need a disc to heyser into a strong wind and for knife heysers. I have found that my TeeRexs will flatten and go dead staright when thrown from a heyser into a strong wind.

I like the Predator a lot, but it would break in stop heysering hard into winds in the X-plastic. I really do not like Z plastic, so I do not want to go to a Z-pred.

I am kind of loving Star right now (a lot). So, I grabbed a Star Monster.

Anybody have any Monster experience?
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Tanner » Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:25 am

I found a champ monster about a week ago and I've been throwing it a lot recently. I think that the disc is a great forehand disc. I can send it on a nice hyzer relase for about 200ft, then it will flatten for another hundred, and then fade back right at the end. If I throw it backhand (RHBH) the disc will go far, but fade to the left faster. I don't know how else to explain it. All I know is, I'm looking for a new monster to replace the tye-dye one I have
-Tanner
Tanner
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Sep 03, 2006 11:10 am

I am a pred guy, and would perfer a firebird over a monster. Monsters are faster and less overstable, meaning a strong enough headwind will flatten a monster before a z pred or champ bird. The added speed of the monster makes it longer than a firebird, but the fade is less predictable.
If the monster works fine for now keep it around, the moment the ESP Pred comes out pick one up, you wouldnt regret it. (that or see if you can force yourself to like Z ;-) )
Personally I would almost perfer a ESP pred to Z, not becasue feel, but I like preds alittle beat (again must be the attitude :roll: )
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Rooster » Sun Sep 03, 2006 4:58 pm

ESP Preds are out.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Sep 03, 2006 9:19 pm

well there you go, try one of those first, I dont know many people who have seriously given the pred a chance like it less than a monster, the only monster throwers I know throw them because they are impartial to innova
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Sep 04, 2006 2:06 am

My z predator which may very well be my oldest disc (in the bag) is not as overstable as it used to be, so I've been waiting for esp preds. Can't wait to try one.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Solty » Mon Sep 04, 2006 6:55 am

i usta carry a monster.....more for skip shots than wind hysers....i was introduced to the predator....and that disc....does a better job for me.... its skips further and fights the wind better.

lemme at a * Monster X and we can see what happens then :)
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

star monster

Postby twmccoy » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:06 am

I've tried the champ monster a few times and never really got the hang of it. It has no glide and fades during it's entire flight, which kills distance potential. I like the pred and flick better for overstable discs because they will hold up in a wind and still get good yardage. The monster is good for medium length shots into hurricane force wind when you want to throw a driver. I have a stack of about 10 I found in case I ever get the urge to throw them again.

After throwing the star starfire, I'm guessing the star monster will be even more brutal than the champion. The star starfire flies like a firebird.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Weebl » Mon Sep 04, 2006 10:55 am

Get a Firebird-L.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Re: star monster

Postby Eric O » Tue Sep 05, 2006 9:55 am

I carry a champ Monster as my most overstable disc. It is one of my favorite discs I have thrown due to it's extremely predictable nature. It is also my disc of choice when a drive goes astray and I need a crazy awesome shot to get on the green to save par.

it was suggested to me by a wise disc golfer that I put a Monster in my bag and see how throwing it will improve my overall game. That was a great piece of advice.

twmccoy wrote:It has no glide and fades during it's entire flight, which kills distance potential.
This is an accurate description, although I have seen a few people throw their Monsters a country mile. In my hands it is not a particularly long disc, but the lack of glide and consistant fade contribute to the disc taking the intended flight path for me every time I throw it with proper form.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Sep 07, 2006 11:12 am

I would compare the flight of the newest Star Monster (which as a very L-like wing) to a DX Banshee but longer.

Very nice to throw, Not crazy nose sensitive. Always fades, period.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Return to Equipment