Progression into premium plastics

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Progression into premium plastics

Postby majorsick » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:01 pm

I've been lurking the forum for about a month and this is an awesome site.

I've definitely figured out that premium plastics are not good to learn on. I've got 3 DX discs that I've been using for a couple months now. Leopard, Coyote and Birdie. My leopard is getting pretty broken in (it turns over when thrown straight where as before it had a natural hyzer line) and I feel like my power is developing a bit beyond it. I could be wrong but I can really rip that thing now. I can get 300 feet pretty regularly.

My question is, where do I go from here? I like the leopard as an understable disc (I can really park the anhyzer shots with it) but I'd like something I can continue to develop power with.

When do you guys begin to phase in the more premium plastics, if ever? Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
sick
majorsick
Noob

Postby superq » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:08 pm

I dont think that learning on premium plastic is nescesarrly a bad thing. What I have strong feeling about is learning on nothing to overstable, and that may have something to do with plastic. For example a star stingray is a lot more stable at high speed than a dx.

So if you are throwing DX now and are not having a problem keeping them on the lines you are trying to hit go ahead and move into better plastic, you will like it. As you get better and throw farther you will discover that DX plastic is just not as durable, I can ruin a driver in one throw with DX where the same hit with E plastic would only season the disc a little more.

Get the good stuff just make sure you can throw it without it dive bombing left while it should still be flying

my.02
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby Timko » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:11 pm

I'm actually moving in the oposite direction; while I've still got some Z/Champ/Star stuff in my bag, I've recently put in a lower end plastic mid (S ElementX) as well as some drivers (DX teebird and DX valkyrie). I find it great for exploring new lines. I'm also trying to remove the understable champ stuff from my bag and replace it with beaten in dx stuff (dx valkyrie for rollers and anhyzers instead of the champ roadrunner; I'm very accurate with my star valkyrie, and feel comfortable with that mold).
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Eric O » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:16 pm

I would say that you don't need to change plastics until you start wearing out baseline plastic too quickly and have to constantly change how you are throwing a disc to compensate. Of course, some will say you are better off sticking to DX indefinitely because of the excellent flight characteristics that result from having more air friction than other plastics. It is probably a matter of preference after a certain point.

As far as disc molds, you would be well served by learning to throw a driver with a more pronounced fade at the end of the flight than a Leopard. Cheetahs, Gazelles and Cyclones seem to be the preferred discs of choice in this category for most people posting to these forums. At least in terms of slower flying discs. I would also add XLs to that list. I find they are pretty easy to get a sweet throw with.

Most importantly, disc golf is fun!
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:35 pm

once youve tried enough you will probably perfer pro/dx (and equals) for everything other than your overstable discs. Most agree there is more control and distance potential in pro and dx plastics.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

champion plastic

Postby twmccoy » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:45 pm

I phased in champion discs fairly early. I started out throwing a DX eagle and cheetah as drivers, but after trying a champion orc and outdistancing them by 50' I knew it was time to move on. IMO, beginners can use premium plastic, but they should only use certain models and weights. Yes, champion/star/Z plastic is more overstable, but if you find the right weight, you can find flippy discs in these plastics. Besides, the discs last so much longer. I have a champion orc that has been thrown for 2 1/2 years now with no wear or change in flight at all. Innova even makes a beginner set of champion discs that includes a light (150g) champion valk, leopard and a putter.

For putting, a DX disc would work fine since putters don't get beaten like drivers do from hard impacts.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: Progression into premium plastics

Postby koronin » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:05 am

I too use a Leopard a lot and mine started to do the same thing, in fact unless I tilt it a little, it will turn over and roll very easy. This week I purchased a champion Leopard and find it quite nice, it's easy to grip and throw and maintains a nice slow and steady flight.

I highly recommend the champ Leopard.

majorsick wrote:I've been lurking the forum for about a month and this is an awesome site.

I've definitely figured out that premium plastics are not good to learn on. I've got 3 DX discs that I've been using for a couple months now. Leopard, Coyote and Birdie. My leopard is getting pretty broken in (it turns over when thrown straight where as before it had a natural hyzer line) and I feel like my power is developing a bit beyond it. I could be wrong but I can really rip that thing now. I can get 300 feet pretty regularly.

My question is, where do I go from here? I like the leopard as an understable disc (I can really park the anhyzer shots with it) but I'd like something I can continue to develop power with.

When do you guys begin to phase in the more premium plastics, if ever? Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
sick
koronin
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:39 am

The only reason I went to premium plastic was due to how quick I was going through dx/pro D plastic.

I actually prefer x. I've gone to carrying several of the same disc as well as carrying a few z/esp for when I know for sure I will hit something.

I've learned from Blake, that beating up a disc isn't such a bad thing though. But, I still try to avoid turning all my discs into turn over/ roller discs.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Equipment