Second chance for the spectra

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Second chance for the spectra

Postby twmccoy » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:04 pm

After giving up on this disc a while back I decided to give it another try today. I don't know if my form changed or what but I was ripping the hell out of it. One thing I did discover is that the spectra will not hyzerflip. You have to release it flat. I think discrafts rating of 1 on this disc is wrong. To me it seems more like 1.5. BTW, the spectra may be discrafts fastest disc other than the flick.

The low speed fade still cuts a bit of distance, but if thrown hard enough, the spectra will hang with anything out there.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby deaddisc » Thu Sep 07, 2006 5:41 pm

Id have to agree, and I dont even throw Discraft. The spectra is a sweet disc for a consistent rhbh, and my full color stamp makes it even better.
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:30 pm

I like the disc and have hyzer flipped it, but there are better discs I believe. I too am thinking of throwing it bag in the bag. I like fast discs, but I prefer fast + overstable.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Blake_T » Fri Sep 08, 2006 12:25 pm

the spectra stability varies a lot with weight (much like the valkyrie).

i have hyzer flipped it, but due to its dome height and wide wing, you need a nose down angle greater than or equal to the angle of the slope on the top of the disc.

the nice thing about the fade on it is that it will get a good forward flex if you put the disc into a distance turn.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

spectra

Postby twmccoy » Fri Sep 08, 2006 9:58 pm

Yeah, I was throwing some nice S curves with it. I was actually trying to flip it a bit and instead it would just dart straight ahead about 400'.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby deaddisc » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:06 pm

How much Hyzer angle did you put on it for the dead straight 400'?s and How much height?
Love to be able to rip this disc to its full potential, to the fields...
deaddisc
Fairway Surgeon

spectra

Postby twmccoy » Sat Sep 09, 2006 4:44 pm

I don't hyzer it at all. I release it flat and hard, let it roll over a bit and then fade back at the end ot its flight. Hyzering this disc just didn't seem to work. The spectra is beefier than the stability rating may indicate.

BTW, don't try to throw this disc with half power. It won't do anything.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Return to Equipment