Strikerholics Anonymous

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Striker

Postby JimW » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:05 pm

Soon enough half the trade lists in the forum are going to have the Striker on them as Wants. :)
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Postby Parks » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:06 pm

I always think of fairway drivers as 1.6 and 1.7 cm rims, but the Striker is 1.9. That puts it in the same range as other tweener discs like the Viking or the Assassin.

Is it a touch fast for an accurate fairway driver?

From the comments, it seems like its not quite stable enough to be an excellent control driver like a Teebird, and not enough LSS to be as versatile as an Eagle-X.

What role does the Striker fill best?
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:18 pm

Parks wrote:I always think of fairway drivers as 1.6 and 1.7 cm rims, but the Striker is 1.9. That puts it in the same range as other tweener discs like the Viking or the Assassin.

Is it a touch fast for an accurate fairway driver?

From the comments, it seems like its not quite stable enough to be an excellent control driver like a Teebird, and not enough LSS to be as versatile as an Eagle-X.

What role does the Striker fill best?

you are definitely not going to be working EX type lines with this mold but id say its definitely HSS enough to offer a great amount of control, from my experience this is one of those molds that doesnt change direction too fast at all, its always a nice gradual flip up from hyzer to flat or from flattish to anny depending on a clean throw of course. Ive had 0 problems as far as speed goes and i throw it on all the holes where i did throw eagles previously (and several that i could never reach with my eagles), if anything its been easier to control the flight and be accurate as i dont have to nut it as hard to keep it from fading early
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby RoomTenONine » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:26 pm

Jesse B 707 wrote:
RoomTenONine wrote:I'm holding out in hopes of a trade for one of these before I go out and buy some. Wink, wink, hint, hint.

hell yeah its the best FW driver ever!! let me trade you mine :wink: just go buy some, you may have to wait a bit to get a trade

I thought you couldn't play any more (aka, that disc fire-sale)? If your feet hurt that bad, why not lend me your strikers? I promise I'll give them back...
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Sanny Q-Sentinel

Postby zj1002 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:46 pm

JimW wrote:Soon enough half the trade lists in the forum are going to have the Striker on them as Wants. :)

they already do
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby RoomTenONine » Tue Apr 14, 2009 5:51 pm

koyok23 wrote:
JimW wrote:Soon enough half the trade lists in the forum are going to have the Striker on them as Wants. :)

they already do

No harm in asking. Same thing happened with the bosses when they came out (and any other popular disc). Now those bosses are IN a lot of trade lists. (Not saying the boss and striker compare here, just observing the phenomenon.)
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Postby zj1002 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:03 pm

the boss was a whole new speed of disc

im sure people will go back to their teebirds but i can bet strikers stay in most of our bags
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby RoomTenONine » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:07 pm

koyok23 wrote:the boss was a whole new speed of disc

Like I said, I'm just commenting on the phenomenon of "hot new discs" ending up of lots of want lists, then lots of trade lists a few weeks/months later. Irregardless of speed or place in the bag, this happens a lot.
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Apr 14, 2009 6:15 pm

RoomTenONine wrote:
koyok23 wrote:the boss was a whole new speed of disc

Like I said, I'm just commenting on the phenomenon of "hot new discs" ending up of lots of want lists, then lots of trade lists a few weeks/months later. Irregardless of speed or place in the bag, this happens a lot.

it will happen with these too, for some folks im sure they will find it unreliable or too flippy which is what i expected to think but it works SO good for me that i dont care what i think
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Postby optowesome » Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:04 pm

I don't know what people are talking about flippy? I throw it 380 and pushed it to somewhere around 430(the hole length is accurate, but the tees were muddy so I had to drive from the street 25 feet back) on a couple pulls today in a slight right to left wind. I got basically the same flight, straight, straight, straight, late fade. The 430ish did track a bit, but I was throwing with basically no hyzer( less than 5 degrees). This thing is not flippy, but is really workable for some reason. I made of a hole that was a sweeping anyhyzer that has the hole tucked in a small hyzer, 2nd time I played it..parked..first time I messed up the thinnest tree in the middle of the fairway. I love this I can't wait to try a domey one.
optowesome
Tree Magnet

Postby Bangrrr Bob » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:51 pm

So from what I have read so far, this disc is basically between a JLS and a TeeBird stability wise, but longer??
Focus, Meteor, Buzzz, Stalker, Nuke, Pred....
Bangrrr Bob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Soft Focus

Postby Timko » Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:54 pm

It sounds very similar to the CD.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby JR » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:50 pm

optowesome wrote:I don't know what people are talking about flippy? I throw it 380 and pushed it to somewhere around 430(the hole length is accurate, but the tees were muddy so I had to drive from the street 25 feet back) on a couple pulls today in a slight right to left wind. I got basically the same flight, straight, straight, straight, late fade. The 430ish did track a bit, but I was throwing with basically no hyzer( less than 5 degrees). This thing is not flippy, but is really workable for some reason. I made of a hole that was a sweeping anyhyzer that has the hole tucked in a small hyzer, 2nd time I played it..parked..first time I messed up the thinnest tree in the middle of the fairway. I love this I can't wait to try a domey one.

How many RPMs do have on the disc? Not easy to tell without high speed camera but would you characterize yourself as a snap or speed dominated thrower?

Those that have thrown Strikers and CDs which fades more and how much and am I correct in assuming that the CD needs more power to fly without fading?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Jesse B 707 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:17 am

Bangrrr Bob wrote:So from what I have read so far, this disc is basically between a JLS and a TeeBird stability wise, but longer??

that sums it up nicely
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Postby optowesome » Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:48 am

JR wrote:
optowesome wrote:I don't know what people are talking about flippy? I throw it 380 and pushed it to somewhere around 430(the hole length is accurate, but the tees were muddy so I had to drive from the street 25 feet back) on a couple pulls today in a slight right to left wind. I got basically the same flight, straight, straight, straight, late fade. The 430ish did track a bit, but I was throwing with basically no hyzer( less than 5 degrees). This thing is not flippy, but is really workable for some reason. I made of a hole that was a sweeping anyhyzer that has the hole tucked in a small hyzer, 2nd time I played it..parked..first time I messed up the thinnest tree in the middle of the fairway. I love this I can't wait to try a domey one.

How many RPMs do have on the disc? Not easy to tell without high speed camera but would you characterize yourself as a snap or speed dominated thrower?

Those that have thrown Strikers and CDs which fades more and how much and am I correct in assuming that the CD needs more power to fly without fading?

I don't know if I am snap or speed dominant. I can tell you I don't like high speed drivers and I don't have nose up issues. Thus the striker is perfect.
optowesome
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment