Time to flesh out my bag (hey,maybe I should actually buy 1)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Time to flesh out my bag (hey,maybe I should actually buy 1)

Postby Hadoken » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:03 pm

I started out using a DX Leopard and retired it long ago, and ever since I've been playing with a Champion Sidewinder for drives, E Element for mid, and a Z Magnent for putting and now I am finally ready to commit to buying a bag and fleshing it out with discs for different conditions.

I'm LHBH, with a max distance of 300 ft if the stars and moon align, more commonly about 250, then a right curve back to 225 :x (when will I learn to get the disc DOWN?).

So what do you guys suggest I buy to fill out my bag? I'm looking for discs to cover whatever I might come up against, something like 8 discs including the element and sidewinder I already use.
Ever since I got my E Element I've been a big fan of Gateway discs, but I'm pretty open to most things.

Also I've been having major problems with my Z Magnent, it seems like this thing is always rolling away from the basket on missed putts because the course is so hilly here, but that might be my fault. I think I'm going to ditch it and my DX Avaiar and try some Wizards anyway though..
Hadoken
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:08 pm

a control driver: Cyclone, Gazelle, chetta (for your powerlevel), or w/ youf facination in gateway a Sabre in S plastic is very straight, however will not be too long until you learn to throw with height AND nose down.

You may benifit from a slower and or more stable mid, such as a Element X (S plastic), mabey a more stable putter for short drives and long approaches (wizard)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby zealot » Fri Sep 08, 2006 11:43 pm

i would post but dirty stole mine ({more or less) 8)
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby Solty » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:16 am

if you like the feel of the magnet.....you could always pick up a soft magnet
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Hadoken » Sat Sep 09, 2006 8:43 am

I'm already in talks with a forum member to pick up a E Sabre and some other things.

Here is a virtual tour of the course I play at so maybe some of you can see why I like to use a premium plastic since I hit so many trees...

http://www.radl.biz/Courses/GLENNCHILTON/main.htm (don't do it on 56k)

Ignore the first hole, its just a tease, you really get into the thick of it after hole 7.

I don't really like or dislike the magnent, aside from the fact that it seems to flip and roll more often than it lands flat, but that might have something to do with the course being built on hillsides and valleys.
Hadoken
Noob

Postby Timko » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:01 am

Hadoken wrote:I don't really like or dislike the magnent, aside from the fact that it seems to flip and roll more often than it lands flat, but that might have something to do with the course being built on hillsides and valleys.

This probably has more to do with the techique. I can do everything I can do with my wizards approach wise that I can do with my wizards. I just have 15+ wizards, so it seems logical to use them :).

I also agree on getting a driver that is more suited to your distance. The Sabre is great for control, and can teach you a lot about driving.

I've got elements in my bag, and new, they're great. They do get a bit squirrlly when they beat in though, and since my technique is nowhere near torque-free, they tend to not behave. A slightly more stable midrange may be a better idea. The elementX is great, and has nice glide and speed for a midrange. The fade is minimal for a disc that has such good penetration. Just another option.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:34 am

e sabres just dont have as good of a flight as S sabres. S plastic is surprisingly durable, (most out of baseline plastics) and your scores would get better if you werent trying to throw full power through trees ;-) (E sabres are more likey to turn and have a less predictable fade)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Hadoken » Sat Sep 09, 2006 2:25 pm

I'm definitely going to pick up a Element X, and some kind of Sabre, but the choice between E and S plastic I still have to make.

I guess I'll have to try out some Gateway in S plastic so I can see how much more durable it is than DX.
Hadoken
Noob

Return to Equipment