Gateway Plastic

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby garublador » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:53 am

Jones wrote:I added a Medium for driving and hard throws hoping to curb the effect with hopefully a more durable Wizard. I was just wondering if I should invest in an E Wizard for added warping or bending durability. I love the feel of the S plastic though.

Here's where you find one of the complaints about Gateway. Since their runs of discs are so small and most retailers don't know much about them, you're never quite sure what you'll get unless you're there to pick it out yourself.

My Wizards labled Medium I've used that I'd call Medium haven't had this problem. I do have a Medium Wizard that feels like a Soft Wizard I have that has been developing the problem you're describing, though. The newest Medium Wizards I recieved from GGGT have been really firm and kind of shiny and they are too new for me to comment on its durability. However, because of the firmness, I'd expect that it wouldn't warp.

If you have the cash, it's worth checking out the E, though.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Fritz » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:53 am

garublador wrote:
Jones wrote:I added a Medium for driving and hard throws hoping to curb the effect with hopefully a more durable Wizard. I was just wondering if I should invest in an E Wizard for added warping or bending durability. I love the feel of the S plastic though.

Here's where you find one of the complaints about Gateway. Since their runs of discs are so small and most retailers don't know much about them, you're never quite sure what you'll get unless you're there to pick it out yourself.

No need to worry about that anymore. Gateway jsut released new packaging for retail sotres that explains everything someone would want to know about the said disc.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Weebl » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:01 am

Fritz wrote:
Thatdirtykid wrote:
daevidcardiac wrote:id just go with the s sabre...i like the 844's

second, s sabres are best, 844s were the best of the best, but I would take any s sabre over an E

I agree with dk here.

844 Sabre 172g for $6...
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Rob » Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:22 am

garublador wrote:
Jones wrote:My Wizards labled Medium I've used that I'd call Medium haven't had this problem. I do have a Medium Wizard that feels like a Soft Wizard I have that has been developing the problem you're describing, though. The newest Medium Wizards I recieved from GGGT have been really firm and kind of shiny and they are too new for me to comment on its durability. However, because of the firmness, I'd expect that it wouldn't warp.

They last batch or two i got were also more firm and shiny. They do hold up very well but i prefer the softer plastic. Its weird i got some supersofts that are harder than some mediums and some softs that feel more like supersofts.
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Craig » Thu Sep 14, 2006 2:49 pm

Just got a 5 pack of Wizards from Gateway, and they threw in a DT Scream. Nice surprise! Haven't thrown it yet.
Craig
Tree Magnet

Postby Fritz » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:08 pm

Craig wrote:Just got a 5 pack of Wizards from Gateway, and they threw in a DT Scream. Nice surprise! Haven't thrown it yet.

It's understable so put some hyzer on it and it'll soar for days.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby presidio hills » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:22 am

damn, that reminds me i should get 5 more wizards :twisted:
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Craig » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:27 am

Fritz wrote:
Craig wrote:Just got a 5 pack of Wizards from Gateway, and they threw in a DT Scream. Nice surprise! Haven't thrown it yet.

I got a chance to throw the Scream DT this weekend (173g). Oddly enough, it was crazy overstable. It makes my 168 Flick look super understable. I was shocked. It seemed to move really quick, though.

I released it flat, and it was hyzering off ten feet out of my hand. It still went a pretty good distance (probably because it's so fast), but not at all what I expected.

The disc has dimples on the bottom and says "proto-type".
Any explanations?
Craig
Tree Magnet

Postby Fritz » Mon Sep 18, 2006 11:30 am

Craig wrote:
Fritz wrote:

I got a chance to throw the Scream DT this weekend (173g). Oddly enough, it was crazy overstable. It makes my 168 Flick look super understable. I was shocked. It seemed to move really quick, though.

I released it flat, and it was hyzering off ten feet out of my hand. It still went a pretty good distance (probably because it's so fast), but not at all what I expected.

Any explanations?

Wow that's odd. Every person I've seen throw that disc it goes off to the right then fades in slightly to the left. Ignore hte proto writing. It's an approved disc.
The dimples are there to create lift.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby bigs348 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:55 pm

Craig wrote: I got a chance to throw the Scream DT this weekend (173g). Oddly enough, it was crazy overstable. It makes my 168 Flick look super understable. I was shocked. It seemed to move really quick, though.

Any explanations?

Are you sure it's a Scream DT? Does it say Scream, or are you assuming it is because of the dimples? They just put out a Speed Demon DT (the dimples are supposed to make it slightly less overstable, but that's not saying much with that disc), and it's possible that it's that. Even if your thrown isn't as strong as some, I would think the Scream DT would still be pretty straight.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Craig » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:26 pm

bigs348 wrote:Are you sure it's a Scream DT? Does it say Scream, or are you assuming it is because of the dimples? They just put out a Speed Demon DT (the dimples are supposed to make it slightly less overstable, but that's not saying much with that disc), and it's possible that it's that. Even if your thrown isn't as strong as some, I would think the Scream DT would still be pretty straight.

Ah - You're right! I thought it said S-DT on the bottom, but it says SD-DT. I guess that explains the over-stability. Not feeling too bright right now.
Craig
Tree Magnet

Postby Jwt4412 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 5:35 pm

Craig,

I am glad you shared this experience... The disc didn't do what you thought it would do... but you described its flight perfectly and somebody could tell you what the plastic/mold was by your description by sitting in front of a computer someplace else.

It says alot about your form and the consistency of the mold... I think that is kind of cool.

jmho
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby bigs348 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:48 pm

I ordered two Infernos, a Scream, and a double-beaded Scream from Gateway. They just got in today and they threw in a Scream DT and a Speed Demon DT. Haven't got a chance to throw anything yet, but I'm loving the plastic of all these discs. It's like E, but with a slightly matte finish allowing for better grip. I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow...
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fritz » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:00 pm

bigs348 wrote:I ordered two Infernos, a Scream, and a double-beaded Scream from Gateway. They just got in today and they threw in a Scream DT and a Speed Demon DT. Haven't got a chance to throw anything yet, but I'm loving the plastic of all these discs. It's like E, but with a slightly matte finish allowing for better grip. I hope it doesn't rain tomorrow...

Even if it does, you'll get a chance to see how grippy those discs still are in the rain. I was extremely pleased when I tested them in the rain. I think you will too.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Weebl » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:54 pm

What's a double beaded scream?... super-bead, like an X-2?
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment