Lid-like Putters

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Lid-like Putters

Postby disc_golfing_fool » Sat Sep 09, 2006 1:28 pm

I'm interested in trying a whitler, which has got me searching around about its comparison to old school lid-like putters.

Being new to DG and flying discs, I have no appreciation for the history of older, floatier, finesse putters.

Could some of you old schoolers or lid throwers help me with a list of lid-like putters that have been around over the years.

I am also interested to know which ones are still widely available or in production. I see that the 86 softie is still available, is that the only one?

Finally, for those with lid experience, would a lid-newbie get the same learning experience throwing an 86 softie as they would throwing the whitler? Should I get a good ulti lid and learn that?

I'll probably end up buying both, with my plastic habit. I am just interested in some commentary from those who have extensive experience throwing lids and lid-like putters.

I am interested in learning the finer points of touch shots. Any recommended ways/equipment for doing this? (My touch shots now are with wizards).

Thanks!

8)
~~~some rise, some fall, some climb to get to Terrapin~~~
~~peace.love.disc~~

OM
disc_golfing_fool
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Weebl » Sat Sep 09, 2006 3:39 pm

Super Puppy!
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Solty » Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:01 pm

Weebl wrote:Super Puppy!

Hey fool....

when we play next week...i always have a super puppy in the car to show off w/ wierd floaters.....it makes a great disc for catch too!

mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

putters

Postby twmccoy » Sat Sep 09, 2006 9:46 pm

How about the birdie and polecat. Both look like lids, as does the rhyno.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Weebl » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:28 am

Birdie and polecat fill this roll, but the rhyno is a negative.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Terrence » Sun Sep 10, 2006 8:35 am

The Aero possibly? It may be considered a little too fast for those kind of slow finesse shots though.
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:38 pm

Terrence wrote:The Aero possibly? It may be considered a little too fast for those kind of slow finesse shots though.

areo flies very lid like, you know im sure this is said often but the ultrastar is pdga legal under 200 grams, so is the zehyr and the innova main ultimate disc. The condor flies like a lid especially in the 170s range, jaguar... really any of the big diameter discs fly mroe lid like.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Sun Sep 10, 2006 6:17 pm

How about a birdie?
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby roadkill » Sun Sep 10, 2006 7:29 pm

DG Fool,

I've been playing since 1987 and to this day am still rather old school in my philosophy, strategy, playing style and disc selection. I've been throwing 86's since 1988. First as a driver and midrange (the old yellow stiff ones) and then started putting with them when they started making the softie version in late 88/ early 89.

I actually consider the 86 to be a hybrid of a lid design and golf disc design. It is slower than 99% of the golf discs out there but still slightly faster than a true lid design.

Lidlike putters:

Super Puppy- Lid shape, profile with good airbounce and float characteristics. Was the disc of choice for disc golf greats Joe Mela and Craig Gangloff for many, many years in the 80's and early 90's.

Skystreak- Old school style discraft lidlike approach and putt disc. More people use these for approaches and long floaty runs than actual close range putting. Larger diameter than most discs. Some of the folks at Snap disc sports reference the Skystreak when talking about the new Whittler.

Birdie- Similiar in shape, size and profile as the Super Puppy but in more durable, more grippy plastic. Slightly more stable than the SP.

Polecat- Similiar to the Birdie except slightly lower profile and a little more glide and maybe a tad faster.

Puttr - Made by discraft it's available in Z plastic and X plastic (not sure about the D plastic). I used it for a while. Probably my favorite among the modern lidlike versions. Good for airbounce shots, slow floaty approaches as well as short range putting.

While I don't characterize the 86 Softie as a true lid-like putter, I do highly reccommend this disc. It was my primary putter for 17 years and I've made shots with this disc that would've been near impossible with any other mold. (Helps I knew this mold better than any other). While I switched to a wizard a year and a half ago for close range putting, I still use my 86 very frequently for floaty approaches in the 60-180 foot range. It's especially good for soft anhyzers and anhyzer putts that must go around trees enroute to the chains.

The discs I've mentioned thus far are ones I've had substancial experience with as they've all had a place in my bag at one time or another over the past 20 years. Here are a few more molds that would meet the criteria for a lid-like putter:

Pirahna
Zephyr
Rattler
Bulldog
71 mold

I personally see great upside for having a floaty old school disc in your bag. It is easier to control distance and they are far more forgiving than any other golf disc. The downside is if it is windy out you'll have to go to something else since their higher profiles and slower flights make them very vulnerable to the wind.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Sep 10, 2006 10:01 pm

I agree the birdie can be lid like, but it also is kinda like throwing a brick in heavy weights. In lighter weights it can be thrown more like a lid
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Weebl » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:40 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:I agree the birdie can be lid like, but it also is kinda like throwing a brick in heavy weights. In lighter weights it can be thrown more like a lid

The older Birdies without a thumbtrac are more floaty to me. Birdie without thumbtrac at 150g =sky rancher.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby adamschneider » Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:18 am

I use an Aerobie Arrow, which doesn't exactly look like a lid but sort of flies like one. (I throw it forehand.)
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

Postby Weebl » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:28 am

adamschneider wrote:I use an Aerobie Arrow, which doesn't exactly look like a lid but sort of flies like one. (I throw it forehand.)

The Arrow I will argue a good putter, I won't argue it is anything remotely similar to a lid putter. Too little glide, too pronounced a fade although it does look like a bottle cap lid...
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:26 am

I was told years ago that the birdie was good in the south Texas wind, but I had alot of trouble with it in the wind.

Also, I used a z putt'r for a while, but I also didn't like trying to putt in the wind with it. I like the putt'r more for approaches than putt'rs. And I believe they are available in d plastic as someone wanted to trade me one for my z when I moved to wizards.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby adamschneider » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:01 pm

Weebl wrote:
adamschneider wrote:I use an Aerobie Arrow, which doesn't exactly look like a lid but sort of flies like one. (I throw it forehand.)

The Arrow I will argue a good putter, I won't argue it is anything remotely similar to a lid putter. Too little glide, too pronounced a fade although it does look like a bottle cap lid...

Yeah, I guess I should have said "doesn't exactly fly like a lid but sort of looks like... well... it doesn't look like a golf disc, anyway."
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

Next

Return to Equipment