Additions/ Subtractions from my golf bag...

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Additions/ Subtractions from my golf bag...

Postby -Frank- » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:08 am

Here's the scoop. I have been playing disc golf for a little less than a month, and have become hooked. I have been really helped by the information and posts on this site, and I trust that I will get some great advice from you guys.

Like I said, I recently started playing, and have become pretty good during that time. I throw 325'-350' pretty consistently (with flip-flops, need to start wearing tennis shoes when I play :oops: ) and very accurately. I started with an Innova starter set (Leopard, Shark, Aviar) and soon after found two Xpress and an Xtreme in the pond at a local course. One of the Xpress became my go-to driver when a friend lost my Leopard, and was an amazing disc. I played with these discs for about two weeks, until my car was stolen with the discs inside.

I had to start from scratch, and assembled a collection of discs from my findings and a few purchases. I've played with these for about two weeks also, uduring which my biggest strides have come. Earlier tonight, I got my car back, and have my original discs in addition to my current bag. I would like your help in finding overlaps and unnesessary discs in this collection. Some of these are already set in my bag, and I will note that. The ones I marked with an * I need help figuring out (more) uses for.

My for-sure bag:

Drivers:

Pro Wraith (171, worked in)- Go-to driver, tight woods, long approaches
Pro Wraith (172, new)- Wide-open drives
* Champion Beast (?, well worked in)- anhyzer drives, windy putts
Dx Wraith (?, thrashed-to-hell)- rollers
* Z XS (?, new)- tomahawk/ hammers/ thumbers
X Xpress (?, worked in)- tunnels, all-purpose, deadly accurate drives

Midranges:

Z Buzzz (177, new)- tunnels, straight approaches, short hammers, long putts
DX Roc (180, well worked in)- approaches

Putters:

DX Aviar P&A- (150, newish)- short approaches, long putts
Z Putt'r (174, new)- shorter putts

Not sure about:

* X Wildcat (?, new)
* X Xtreme (?, worked in)
* DX Firebird (?, worked in)

Thinking about getting:

Champion SIdewinder/ Roadrunner
Aerobie Epic
Wizard

As I stated earlier, I need help trimming and fleshing out my bag. If you see any holes, any redundances, or any misuses, please let me know. I am looking for any kind of advice. Thanks in advance.

Oh, and another question, my Champ Beast is clear red, but is much more opaque than normal champ/ z plastic. I might describe it as translucent. It also appears to have streaks, and the center circle is kind of puckered. A friend who has worked in a plastics factory says it looks like a factory error, but there is no mark to indicate if it is an x-out. Does Innova have a mark to signify a x-out?
-Frank-
Noob

Postby zealot » Mon Sep 11, 2006 2:59 am

i would use something less stable than a pro wraith for go-to drives.. im not familiar with the xpress so i cant say, but it seems you are missing something for accuracy drivers around 320+

mids etc look good. the pro wraith is great for distance for sure

ever throw a dx teebird or a star tl? :D
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Re: Additions/ Subtractions from my golf bag...

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:36 am

-Frank- wrote:.

My for-sure bag:

Drivers:

Pro Wraith (171, worked in)- Go-to driver, tight woods, long approaches
* Champion Beast (?, well worked in)- anhyzer drives, windy putts
* Z XS (?, new)- tomahawk/ hammers/ thumbers
X Xpress (?, worked in)- tunnels, all-purpose, deadly accurate drives

Midranges:

Z Buzzz (177, new)- tunnels, straight approaches, short hammers, long putts
DX Roc (180, well worked in)- approaches

Putters:

DX Aviar P&A- (150, newish)- short approaches, long putts
Z Putt'r (174, new)- shorter putts

Not sure about:

* X Wildcat (?, new)
* X Xtreme (?, worked in)
* DX Firebird (?, worked in)

Thinking about getting:

Champion SIdewinder/ Roadrunner
Aerobie Epic
Wizard

The wildcat overlaps with the xpress; the xpress will beat up to be a good turn over driver. So if you get a sidewinder or roadrunner, it will replace your xpress. The xs is a good stable to understable driver. I don't know anything about the epic. I like putters, but you will have to choose one. My personal favorite is the wizard. I don't think you need a firebird and an xtreme. I like them both. But, I believe I would choose the firebird (actually I would by a z predator for headwind purposes).

I've been told a roc breaks into a new buzz. So you want to choose one here too. I carry a buzz and a wasp for when I need more stability.

I like the wraith, but I believe that from what you got that the z xs would be my go to disc. My go to disc is currently the x avenger at about 169.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

bag setup

Postby twmccoy » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:12 pm

I'd say definitely get the sidewinder and lose the wildcat. X wildcats are extremely unreliable and flippy (very long though). Also skip the epic. This disc is just not that useful.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby dflaschiii » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:51 pm

I agree with lock-off's comment about trying a teebird. I reccomend toning down the speed of your drivers, as you are using wraith and beast, two of the very fastest discs out there. My game got a lot better when I learned how to use the slower discs, as they taught me how to lengthen the glide and fade portions of the flight instead of relying on the high-speed part.

I would defidently check out a dx teebird, but a disc that I'm really high on lately is the dx gazelle. Slightly slower than a teebird, once broken in it gets tremendous level glide and straight line fade.
dflaschiii
Tree Magnet

Postby -Frank- » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:24 pm

lock-off wrote:i would use something less stable than a pro wraith for go-to drives.. im not familiar with the xpress so i cant say, but it seems you are missing something for accuracy drivers around 320+

mids etc look good. the pro wraith is great for distance for sure

ever throw a dx teebird or a star tl? :D

I've heard really great things about the Star TL, what weight would you recommend? I'm actually really accurate with my Wraith, but I'd like a driver for shorter distances that stays straight in tight fairways.

TexasOutlaw wrote:I've been told a roc breaks into a new buzz. So you want to choose one here too. I carry a buzz and a wasp for when I need more stability.

My roc seems to be better if I need to throw anhyzer/hyzer around obstacles. Maybe it would be better if I chose, though....

TexasOutlaw wrote:I don't think you need a firebird and an xtreme. I like them both. But, I believe I would choose the firebird (actually I would by a z predator for headwind purposes).

I am leaning toward the xtreme right now (I'm not a huge fan of DX plastic), but I want to wait until I play in heavy wind to see which one performs better.

dflaschiii wrote:I agree with lock-off's comment about trying a teebird. I reccomend toning down the speed of your drivers, as you are using wraith and beast, two of the very fastest discs out there. My game got a lot better when I learned how to use the slower discs, as they taught me how to lengthen the glide and fade portions of the flight instead of relying on the high-speed part.

I think I'm gonna take this advice and get a Star TL.

And another question, what is the Beast good for that my Wraith can't do already? Haven't really figured this out yet.

Thanks for all the replies, and keep the advice coming! :D
-Frank-
Noob

Postby garublador » Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:42 am

-Frank- wrote:
lock-off wrote:I think I'm gonna take this advice and get a Star TL.

And another question, what is the Beast good for that my Wraith can't do already? Haven't really figured this out yet.

Thanks for all the replies, and keep the advice coming! :D

I haven't thrown a Star TL, so I can't make a direct comparison, but if I were you I'd definitely consider trying a DX Teebird instead of a STAR TL if you want something straight. I've found that the DX Teebird doesn't break in to be understable (unless it's really, really beat up), it just gets easier to throw and longer. It probably will be straighter, handle the wind better and you won't have to worry about it turning over as much as you would with a TL. They also cost a lot less. YMMV.

The newer version of the Beast will be a better turnover driver out of the box than a Wraith. Other than that, there haven't been many good reviews of the retooled Beast. It went from being too much like an Orc (but more durable in DX plastic) to being too much like a Sidewinder. IMO, it has the coolest name, though.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby zealot » Tue Sep 12, 2006 2:07 pm

just get whatever weight you are comfy driving

as far as vs. a dx teebird

the star tl is straighter out of the box. its has minimal fade. id say itsl ike a teebird you threw everyday for 3 weeks. forever. a little less fade too.

dx teebirds rock though, i carry 2, one beat for flips and one newer (like my star tl but i just throw it over water)
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby trogdor » Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:44 pm

-Frank- wrote:And another question, what is the Beast good for that my Wraith can't do already? Haven't really figured this out yet.

The Beast is more high speed understable. The Wraith is slightly further for some.

I try to keep my bag fairly simple and both of these are max-d discs. In the end, the Wraith won out and the Beast got kicked out.
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby zealot » Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:17 pm

ditch the champ beast and get a star tl and a dx teebird. you can wear the teebird to a straight disc and you'll understand then how flexible that disc is (its like the roc of drivers imho) everyone i've talked to that had a star tl loved it.
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Update

Postby -Frank- » Sun Sep 17, 2006 8:09 pm

Here's what my bag is at now. A tree ate my favorite beat-in Wraith, so I've had time to experiment as my newer Wraith is neither as straight or as dependable. Gonna be really pissed if I don't get that back. :( I'm really getting to like the XS for straight drives, and I'm keeping the Roc, but have really focused on mastering the Buzzz. I'm using my Xpress mostly as a understable approach/short drive disc now. Thinking about getting a Wizard to try, as I'm not putting well with the Putt'r and need a short approach disc. I did find a couple of discs, a Champ Orc and a Dx Wolf, so it has changed a little. Still need to get a DX Teebird and a Star TL.

Drivers:

X Xpress (?, worked in)- understable approaches/ short drives
Z XS (?, new)- go-to drives (for now)
Champ Orc (?, new)- hammers/ thumbers
X Xtreme (?, worked in) overstable drives/ winds

Midranges:

Z Buzzz (177, new)- tunnels, approaches, long putts,
DX Roc (180, well worked in)

Putter:

Z Putt'r (174, new)- missing most crucial putts, pissing me off

The Bench:

Champion Beast
DX Wolf (cool disc, though)
DX Aviar P&A
X Wildcat
DX Firebird
X Xpress (extra)
DX Leopard

As before, all comments are appreciated.
Last edited by -Frank- on Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Frank-
Noob

sidewinder

Postby twmccoy » Mon Sep 18, 2006 6:53 pm

You may still want a sidewinder for downwind or long anhyzer drives. This disc is very reliable once you learn how to throw it.

I know you already have an X press, but the sidewinder puts it to shame.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: sidewinder

Postby -Frank- » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:00 pm

twmccoy wrote:You may still want a sidewinder for downwind or long anhyzer drives. This disc is very reliable once you learn how to throw it.

I know you already have an X press, but the sidewinder puts it to shame.

I would have gone out and gotten one already, but I have a friend who is a beginner who found a brand-new ice blue Sidewinder when we were pond diving, and I've been trying to get him to trade it. He has no snap and no power, and every one of his shots with it are 50 ft. lawn darts, but he likes how it looks and is convinced he'll learn to throw it. I'm trying to get him to trade it for something out of my bag that would be good to learn on but I haven't worked out a deal yet. I'm gonna try to impress him with quantity and offer my X Wildcat, (my extra) X Xpress, DX Leopard, and DX Aviar for the Sidewinder.
-Frank-
Noob

Why start another thread.

Postby kvanorsdel » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:03 pm

So here is my bag please let me know what you think. I throw around 300 ft mostly rhbh, What could I be using to get more distance? The 171 Teebird is my go to driver

Drivers:
171 11x Champ Teebird
172 11x Champ Teebird
168 Champ Beast
168 Clear E Sabre
166 Champ Orc
175 11x Champ Firebird

Midrange
177 S Element-X
180 E Element
172 Z Buzzz

Putters
173 Soft Wizard
172 Soft Wizard
175 Champ Rhyno
kvanorsdel
Fairway Surgeon

Re: Why start another thread.

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:41 pm

kvanorsdel wrote:So here is my bag please let me know what you think. I throw around 300 ft mostly rhbh, What could I be using to get more distance?

Try a different plastic for your drivers, pick up a pro starfire, x avenger, dx valk, dx viking or something similar, I would avioid wraiths surges and discs at that speed, they arent ideal for your power level.

The beast is a good driver, but if you want added distance (and control and benifit of truely learning a disc, and eventually carrying multiples of a mold in different stages of wear leaving you infinate possibilitys in a bag you know well...) you should try out lower end higher performance plastics ;-)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Next

Return to Equipment