150 Lovers

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: 150 Lovers

Postby JohnnyBee » Thu May 01, 2014 6:36 am

UncleBrother2001 wrote:
JohnnyBee wrote:I have been trying out the new MVP drivers that they have released in the 150 class. Loving the Switch so far, and have had good luck FH with the Servo. I'm auditioning the Tesla's to try out against my healthy stack of SPDs, and they do seem similar, but need to invest more time with them head to head. The Inertia is puzzling at times, had some beautiful throws and quite a few turn and burns, still trying to find the happy medium with it. Gonna keep the Valks around still.

I've often wondered how a 150class bag would do. I've actually thought about making one,but have yet to.

Good to know MVP makes em now that's really cool right there. :D

It is a lot of fun. I do occasionally do an all 150 bag, helps to make sure everything is smooth.

I am all 150 all the time for my drivers, mids and putters are in the 166-172 range. That seems to be my happy medium right now. I was told that Legacy is supposed to be releasing some 150 class this year since I see your bag shows that, so if you do try it, it helps to have the familiar molds.
150 Lover
JohnnyBee
Noob

Postby UncleBrother2001 » Thu May 01, 2014 2:40 pm

JohnnyBee wrote:
UncleBrother2001 wrote:
JohnnyBee wrote:I have been trying out the new MVP drivers that they have released in the 150 class. Loving the Switch so far, and have had good luck FH with the Servo. I'm auditioning the Tesla's to try out against my healthy stack of SPDs, and they do seem similar, but need to invest more time with them head to head. The Inertia is puzzling at times, had some beautiful throws and quite a few turn and burns, still trying to find the happy medium with it. Gonna keep the Valks around still.

I've often wondered how a 150class bag would do. I've actually thought about making one,but have yet to.

Good to know MVP makes em now that's really cool right there. :D

It is a lot of fun. I do occasionally do an all 150 bag, helps to make sure everything is smooth.

I am all 150 all the time for my drivers, mids and putters are in the 166-172 range. That seems to be my happy medium right now. I was told that Legacy is supposed to be releasing some 150 class this year since I see your bag shows that, so if you do try it, it helps to have the familiar molds.

Nice man. I bet a 150 Rival and Patriot would be nice. :D
Tern|Beast|PD|Stalker|Truth|Comet|Suspect|Judge|Wizard|Magic

"Driver controls the music,shotgun shuts his cakehole"
UncleBrother2001
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Truth

Postby JohnnyBee » Thu May 01, 2014 4:11 pm

Yeah I would probably give a Patriot and Rival a try in 150 because I'm a sucker for the 150's.
150 Lover
JohnnyBee
Noob

Postby BentElbow11 » Fri May 02, 2014 10:12 am

I had 150 class champ Leopard and champ Teebird in the bag for awhile, for fairway shots where I would have poor footing and couldn't get as much on the throw as I normally do. As long as the stability is there, there's nothing wrong with using lightweight discs, IMO. Except for Blizzard junk...IMO.
BentElbow11
Tree Magnet

Postby marmoset » Thu Jul 30, 2015 10:39 am

BentElbow11 wrote:...Except for Blizzard junk...IMO.

Why is it junk?
I was thinking about trying the Blizzard Destroyer...

In other news, my bag has been settled for a while.
150g DX Polecat for short putts and slow speed finesse stuff
150g DX Aviar (x2) alternated for putts, ups, and some drives
150g Star Aviar for drives
150g DX Rancho Rocs (x2) one beat and one freshy
150g KC Pro Rancho Roc, still overstablish
150g Star Leopard
150g DX Teebird
150g Star Teebird
150g Champ Firebird
150g DX Destroyer for those rare, wide open, max distance shots

I'm toying with the idea of doing the "stages of wear" Eagle-Xs instead of the Leo/DX TB/Star TB combo, I just haven't had the time to break them in :cry:

I'm not a Innova fan-boy, I just like to throw readily available plastic. Innova is great for keeping 150 class stuff on the shelf.
*plop*
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby JohnnyBee » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:30 pm

Higher speed drivers in Blizzard have bubbles in the rim rather than the flight plate, so stability can be all over the place with a lot of them
150 Lover
JohnnyBee
Noob

Postby JohnnyBee » Thu Jul 30, 2015 1:37 pm

Also, welcome back Marmoset! You have been gone a long time from both forums. I have to give you credit for starting me on this after I read this thread years back after buying my first 150 driver, an 11x Champ Teebird. It has definitely helped me. I will say that I continue to mess with weights, as I haven't converted to a full time 150 Bag, keeping the mids and putters around 170.

I have started messing with the Eagle L/X a bit this summer like you have mentioned, but it hasn't been able to take over for TB/Leo yet.
150 Lover
JohnnyBee
Noob

Postby marmoset » Thu Jul 30, 2015 5:07 pm

Thanks JohnnyBee! It's good to be back!

Thanks for the info on the blizzards. Depending on the disc I think bubbles only in the rim might be beneficial, assuming they do not affect durability. The first blizzards I saw had bubbles throughout so I thought it was promising. Bubbles only in the rim complicates things because it throws off the weight allocation.

Does a new Eagle L act like a Teebird for you? The Eagle L is one of the few discs I have not messed with.

I have a hard time seeing the Eagles kicking out the Teebird and Leo combination… I'm just way too familiar with them. But I don't mind trying

What is your elevation in Iowa? I noticed that when I go down to sea level I really notice a big difference in my disc stability. If I lived at sea level I might have a mixed weight bag. But my home course is at elevation and in the woods so light weight putters aren't a negative. In fact, I find my 150 PC a big benefit in the tight and technical woods near my house.
*plop*
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby JohnnyBee » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:33 pm

I find the Eagle L to fit in between the TB and the Leo. My thought was to use it in place of my Leos when I was OATing them badly since the Eagle L will fade out of it's turn. I have since started messing with the Eagle X also . It does act like a TB, little less glide, but to my eyes, it looks like it flies faster out of the hand, and I have heard others say that. It is incredibly useful in the woods for me and is great for throwing turnover or anny lines that will come back at the end.

The Eagle L's are also only in Champ plastic, though you occasionally hear of some in Star coming out, but not any in 150. I do have 2 Champ Eagle X bought off of Ebay that I assumed were Eagle L's since it was stated that 150 Champs were L and 150 Star were X.
Some of the L's I have gotten seem more stable, some are flippier. I am finding the same with my Leos, with my Star being more domey and stable compared to my Champs, all at the same weight, 150-152.

The elevation here is 810 ft. I havent played outside of Iowa so I haven't seen a difference in stabilities. I do have some 150 putters, including the Polecat which is a blast. MVP has produced their putters Ion and Anode as low as 155, so I have some Anodes in that weight to monkey with, plus some others. They are great in the woods for wrist shots and limited reachback, haven't played with them enough exclusively to draw a good opinion. I have a 155 Air Truth that is a laser beam mid, feels like a Buzzz. Also have some DX Rocs, and Vibram Ibex and Obex. Just haven't messed with them much.
150 Lover
JohnnyBee
Noob

Postby JR » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:06 am

Bubble discs wear quickly more like DX around rocks at least. Eagle L and power produce a flip but Teebirds vary in heavy weights and years back Champ did not flip and then i got a slew of flipping TBs. And in calm conditions my 150 Star did not flip more than my 170s. But add some wind and the weight difference shows. I have a light Bliz Destro that is more hss and lss apparently in calm weather than full weight new ones. Add a little wind and the speed stability shows. So blizzards and bubble stars vary a lot. More than non bubble versions that vary too much anyway. The good news is that reportedly there are better TBs regarding not flipping now. TB tour fundraisers, TB3 and Thunderbirds which i consider to be in the same family being faster and less gliding with more hss. From a source i trust. With the normal caveat of disc variation.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Previous

Return to Equipment