Postby marmoset » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:46 pm

Latest setup
Aviars- 2 DX and 1 Star
Rocs- 3 DX
Cyclones- 1 TP... I'll probably add 1 Pro D for the beatin'
Teebirds- 2 DX and 1 Champ
OLF- 1 M and 1 Q
Firebird- 1 Champ

I got the last 6 150 TP Cyclones from GGGT ($5 each!). All I can say is "this is what I've been looking for!"
Too bad the new ESPs aren't run in 150 class.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Re: 150 Lovers

Postby domromer » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:56 pm

Cool Mang.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby marmoset » Sat Jun 20, 2009 8:31 am

I'm still amazed at the DX Rocs.
I was consistently putting them out to 350' (tailwind, flat ground) and they were not turning unless I intentionally torqued them. The first few throws landed well left of my target because they had more fade than I figured they would. Especially the newish one... it went about 80% of it's D and then started to gradually pull left. Not a hard flare, just a good easy fade.

So I guess I'm saying that 150 Rocs aren't much different than the fatties.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby domromer » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:16 am

What's your thoughts on 150 mids?

I'm heading down to Spinners tomorrow and they have a huge 150 section. My wife has been throwing bombs lately with a 150xl. I was thinking of getting her maybe a 150 shark and putter. I remember hearing through that heavy mids actually go further than lighter ones. Last thing I want to do is decrease her distance so I thought I'd check in here with the 150 gurus and see what the consensus is. Also what's another good 150 driver for her to to check out. I was thinking of maybe a Gazelle but I think that may still be too stable for her. I'd like to get her something in premium plastic as she'll throw the same driver every shot and the rocks here destroy dx with the quickness. Maybe a champ Leopard? Oh Her golf D is like 225 and max would be 250ish I think.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby marmoset » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:37 pm

domromer wrote:What's your thoughts on 150 mids?

I am pleasantly surprised at how well mids take to 150 class. I was afraid that because they are so slow that they would have more time to get bullied by the wind. This just does NOT happen with my Rocs. Even the more beat Roc holds well. They get those towering lifts more easily but they hold their line well. The only150 DX Shark I have played with recently was way beat but again surprised me with the amount of stability it retained. I used the Shark in the forest so I have no comment about wind play.

domromer wrote:Also what's another good 150 driver for her to to check out. I was thinking of maybe a Gazelle but I think that may still be too stable for her. I'd like to get her something in premium plastic as she'll throw the same driver every shot and the rocks here destroy dx with the quickness. Maybe a champ Leopard? Oh Her golf D is like 225 and max would be 250ish I think

They make 150 JLSs in M, Q and S plastics. I have a QJ and it is nice and straight (and long) but I throw a little further than 250'. For her it might be overstable. Maybe the MJLS would be better.
I bought a Champ Leo at the same time I got the QJ. It is only minimally less HSS. At 250' of power it will be slightly overstable like the QJ. My Champ Leo has more fade than the QJ. Odd.

Sooo... Leo or JLS. I think these are the only 2 premium plastic drivers that would be suitable.

EDIT: 2 more thoughts, I haven't thrown either. Maybe a Star Skeeter or an ESP Impact. Both are long midranges/short drivers, both available in 150.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby domromer » Sun Jun 21, 2009 5:52 pm

She already has a Z glide that sorta covers the longer mid sorta thing. I"ll have a gander tomorrow and see what they have. If she doesn't like the 150jls I'll just keep it. I've been wanting one of those for a while.

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby SkaBob » Sun Jun 21, 2009 6:26 pm

Mr.SmOOOth wrote:Would a 150 Avenger beat in to be a good turn over disc?

I tried that with some success... If I was forced to play with all 150 class, I'd probably use the 150 Avenger as my all purpose disc, but I'd honestly rather use something else (ie- heavier. I use Comets and Z Surge SSs for turnovers, depending on the distance and line needed). Once the 150 Avenger starts beating in, it gets pretty flippy, pretty quick.

Eric wrote:How do the ESP and Z Flicks compare side by side ? I use a Z flick for forehands , tomahawks , thumbers and most any other "get out of jail" or " just for fun" type shot, all of which I pretty much suck at. My forehands are a lot better because of reading here though, and I DO have this little thumber dink shot that RULES for supermanning it up over clumps of trees/bushes and rolling to the basket. Anyway, what will an ESP Flick deliver that a Z flick cannot and how do they compare with respect to durability? I hits me some trees, yes I do!

I was planning on carrying a 150 z-Flick as my overstable distance disc but think maybe a teebird or gazelle would be better to complement the leopard. I just got a star leopard @ 150 because I heard it was "glidy-er". So I guess the flick as an overstable driver at 150 grams would be pretty hard to make work consistantly?

The ESP one is more HSS, more durable, and most often stiffer (other than the super sweet nearly FLX magenta ones). It's best when stiffer, honestly. More consistent release will help you keep it from going out of control, and the 150 flick is just flippy enough to really need to be kept in check when you're going for distance with it.

I wouldn't really call the 150 Flick an overstable distance driver. It's got the LSS for it, but it's SERIOUSLY flippy compared to say...the 174g Doss Surge I throw for distance. When you get it dialed in though...it's sexy. Sexy and long.

protip- carry a beat and a new one. There will be times the beat one won't be dependable for a shot you REALLY want to throw the flick on. I've noticed that more with 150 flicks than any other disc I've thrown... heh (not a bad thing, mind...so far I haven't gotten one so flippy I need to retire it, but the one I have that's beat that I use for distance isn't always a definite or strong fade, or can turn a bit too far in some crosswinds and almost moderate headwinds...

domromer wrote:What's your thoughts on 150 mids?

I like the 150 Squall. It's tasty. Blue and yellow are pretty money. Green is more stable but a little waxy...
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JR » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:07 pm

Flippy D rocket -Valk DX. Big time with little power requirement. Got it today calm winds. Lost it but got a call so hopefully I'll get it back. Fingers crossed.

Stability on low lines and still good D Discmania PD. Mine ain't the more stable Freak stamped variety. Haven't thrown those so the added stability is hearsay from Discmania site.

Edit: The Valk wasn't at the course 10 hour after the call :-( I'm really tempted to get a new one but I may have thrown a new Star 149 TB without flashing farther than anything ever into minimal headwind. I also need to see what S 150 and 166 PDs do after I take the flashing off. And some golden oldies of my disc selection to see what the need is. If I decide to get 150 DX Valk I'll probably get a min weight premium plastic Valk for outside driving field duty if there's any chance of hard collisions.
Last edited by JR on Tue Jun 23, 2009 9:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby mzuleger » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:24 pm

marmoset wrote:newish 150 MOLF
pure distance line, not even close to a golf shot
downhill
with tailwind

I have a 150 elite X Surge that is like this... makes me think I should put in the bag just for fun.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby domromer » Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:20 pm

Picked up a 150 JLS today...All I can say is HOLY SHit!!!!

It's for my wife..it may disappear from her bag though...
Last edited by domromer on Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby marmoset » Tue Jun 23, 2009 5:49 am

Haven't thrown a 150 MJLS but I recently got a 150 QJ. That thing hauls in a tailwind, I can only imagine how great a Mill. plastic version would be.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby domromer » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:20 am

I also picked up a 170 Mols, after throwing it a few times I'm kicking myself for not buying it in a 150 as well!!!!

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby domromer » Thu Jun 25, 2009 9:53 am

Holy cow! 150s in base plastic beat in insanley fast.

domromer
Plastic Fondler

Postby emiller3 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:32 am

I've recently discovered the beauty of 150 class discs, especially at altitude. I have a 150 12x Champ Teebird and a 154 KC Pro Leopard, both of which are really flexy with very translucent flight plates. The Leopard is awesome for low powered drives and hyzer flips, the Teebird flies what a Teebird should fly like...all of my heavier Teebirds are very overstable thanks to the high altitude. I keep the heavies around for windy days (although the 150 Teebird still does well in the wind) and for stronger finish or hyzer...it's like having the best of both worlds. Any other 150 class discs I should try? You can see what I throw in my sig, there's a link to my bag there as well.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby mzuleger » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:45 am

domromer wrote:Holy cow! 150s in base plastic beat in insanley fast.

You're telling me... My first toss this a 133g wizard hit a concrete pillar and it's wrecked.
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment