150 Lovers

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: 150 Lovers

Postby jubuttib » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:06 pm

Very understable discs do weird things when you don't throw them hard enough to burn 'em. They don't want to fade at all and go a long ways. I used a DX Sidewinder for very limited motion forehands. Easiest and straightest 150' I ever saw.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:16 pm

So a while back I found a 150 X-Clone and gave it to my wife. She likes it for overstable approaches. She also has a 150 Dx banshee but she feels they fill different roles. What in production disc would be a suitable 150 replacement for the X-Clone. I threw it a few times, and it goes really straight and has a bit of glide and very predictable fade. I would be throwing a Teebird for very similar lines when I used to throw a lot of 150 stuff.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby BrotherDave » Mon Oct 18, 2010 4:44 pm

jubuttib wrote:Very understable discs do weird things when you don't throw them hard enough to burn 'em. They don't want to fade at all and go a long ways. I used a DX Sidewinder for very limited motion forehands. Easiest and straightest 150' I ever saw.

Yeah, the guy who films a lot of the Clash vids (can't remember his name, he looks like the head henchman from the Venture Bros) supposedly fan grips discs 300' easy. I've seen him throw and it looks so nonchalant but the disc just keeps going, he has to be throwing one fiddies.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby Spinthrift » Tue Oct 19, 2010 6:29 am

BrotherDave wrote: Yeah, the guy who films a lot of the Clash vids (can't remember his name, he looks like the head henchman from the Venture Bros)

Billy Crump
2012, 2013 PDGA MS1 World Champion
Spinthrift
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Sweet beat Rhyno

Postby Monocacy » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:54 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:So a while back I found a 150 X-Clone and gave it to my wife. She likes it for overstable approaches. She also has a 150 Dx banshee but she feels they fill different roles. What in production disc would be a suitable 150 replacement for the X-Clone. I threw it a few times, and it goes really straight and has a bit of glide and very predictable fade. I would be throwing a Teebird for very similar lines when I used to throw a lot of 150 stuff.

TDK, I’ve never thrown an X-Clone, but it sounds like a Teebird might be similar. Other alternatives might be a Pro-D Cyclone, beat DX Banshee, or an Eagle. Here is a thread that might give you some more ideas:

Discraft X-Clone
http://www.discgolfreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=10933&p=148458&hilit=clone#p148458

In other news, I managed a few throws with some of my old 150 discs.

TL Pro 150: Floppy and flippy, but went nice and straight when thrown with a little hyzer. I can’t imagine that the barely-polymerized plastic will survive its first tree hit.

Raven DX 150: This was my main (well, only) driver back in the day, and I remember why I liked it so much. Large diameter, good glide, easy to throw low and flat, turns very slowly, and hooks reliably as it slows down.

Leopard Champ 154: Y'all know about Leopards. This one turns easily but recovers with a little mini-fade. This will be used for hyzer flips and drives that need to finish right, especially when my sidearm is uncooperative.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Monocacy » Sun Oct 24, 2010 8:38 pm

I played 36 holes on Sunday throwing mostly 150s. No problems other than one unplanned turnover flicking a DX Roc into the wind. As a bonus, my ragged-out shoulder ached much less than usual afterwards.

A used 150 Star Teebird should arrive in a week or so, and I can’t wait to start throwing it as my main fairway driver. In its absence, my old 150 Champ Leopard got a workout. As Marmoset warned, the Champ Leopard is surprisingly stable. When I threw them previously, my form had more dirt and it was easy to get an OAT-induced turnover. My throw is somewhat cleaner now, and I was having difficulty getting the Leopard to hold a turn. Probably just needs a little anny and some height (or maybe I just need a bigger arm). :roll:

An out-of-town visitor joined our group. In an odd coincidence, he was throwing all 150s in preparation for a tournament in Japan.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby marmoset » Sun Oct 24, 2010 9:09 pm

:D
I use my Star Leo as a shorter Teebird
My Champ is like a shorter EX

BTW, I played the blue tees at my home course. Listed as 4159 feet long. I used only my new-ish 150g DX Aviar and came out at even par 54. I was 3 under par going in to the last hole but unfortunately I triple bogied. I guess I'm not really a pressure player.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby SkaBob » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:31 pm

Another good 150 class Comet analog is the Squall.
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Monocacy » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:23 pm

I inaugurated my mostly-150 bag on the 7,900-foot Little Green Monster at Patapsco, and scored 9 strokes better than my previous two rounds there. Can’t argue with that.

Observations:

Accuracy was well above average. When I missed my line, most misses were to the right. This should improve with practice.

Flicking 150s puts considerably less stress on my creaky shoulder, compared with flicking heavier discs. My forehand technique did need a little adjustment to avoid turning over my 154 Roc. Less arm and more wrist, basically.

I overshot a few downhill approaches because 150s glide so well. I was able to adjust by discing down from a midrange to a putter, or by “wristing” a putter with little or no reach-back.

The 154 Champ Leopard absolutely bombs downhill. My longest throw of the day, about 390’ downhill (yah, I know), griplocked right, magically missed every tree, threatened to turn into the Patapsco River, and then faded towards the basket. Too bad it was only a practice throw.

I will probably stick with putting putters in the mid-160s, but I definitely want to get a 150 gram Wizard for approaching / driving. A few longish approaches with my 168g Wiz slipped out early, probably a result of switching between 150 and 165 weights.

The 150 Squall and 150 Tui are on my list of discs to try when funding improves. Thanks for the recommendations, SkaBob and NoLifeLeft.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby marmoset » Mon Nov 01, 2010 5:48 am

Yeah, Comets and putters were the last heavy weight discs in my bag. I figured out that jumping back and forth between weights wasn't helping me so I abandoned them and went all 150.

My 150g Wizards are still beefy. Hey, even my 140g Wizards are beefy but over a shorter range.
I don't think 160g putters will put too much stress on your body unless you are trying to drive 300' with them.

Glad to hear things are going well for you!
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby SkaBob » Mon Nov 01, 2010 11:20 am

Wait, what? You guys are so beat up that you even consider a Comet hard on the body?

I thought you were younger than me!
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby marmoset » Mon Nov 01, 2010 4:58 pm

No, the Comet is not hard on my body.
Jumping between 175 and 150 was making it hard for me to adjust.
I threw a normal weight bag on Sunday. Comet was workin' all the typical Comet-ey lines and I parked a 360' hole with it. The hole was downhill.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Monocacy » Mon Nov 01, 2010 9:10 pm

marmoset wrote:I don't think 160g putters will put too much stress on your body unless you are trying to drive 300' with them.

Glad to hear things are going well for you!

Thanks, and no worries – I am in no immediate danger of driving 300’ with putters. :roll:

SkaBob wrote:Wait, what? You guys are so beat up that you even consider a Comet hard on the body?

Nah, Comets feel light. The problem is that jumping back and forth between weights can goof up timing.

SkaBob wrote:I thought you were younger than me!

Can't speak for anyone else, but I'm grandmaster eligible by age if not by skill.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Monocacy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:10 pm

After selling / trading a pile of discs, I have enough resources to complete my 150 bag. The main quandary is choosing a stable driver or two to complement the Champ Leopard and Star Valk or Star Roadrunner. I play a mix of tightly-wooded and wide-open courses, so I need something that can handle headwinds, tree hits, and my less-than-pristine forehand.

Here are the discs I am considering. If the budget was not limited I would simply order all and compare . . .

Teebird 150 Star: I have two on the way from trades. I love Teebirds, but when new they need to be thrown fairly hard to fly right. Throwing hard and hitting gaps may not be the best combination.

Eagle-X 150 Star: Eagles have always been shorter than Teebirds for me, but maybe I haven’t given them enough time or punishment. Also need to be thrown hard.

Eagle-L 150 Champion (11x, if it makes a difference): I have never thrown these. Would they complement or overlap with the Champ Leopard and Star Teebird?

Northman 150 VIP: Also never thrown but intriguing – I am picturing something between the Eagle and River. I do worry about a large-diameter disc in the wind, though. Has anyone thrown this in 150?

What to do, what to do?
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Leopard » Sun Nov 07, 2010 12:14 pm

i've got a 150g TP Cyclone at my disposal... what could i expect? anyone thrown 'em?

i doubt i'd put it in my bag. i'd buy it and let it sit around. makes me hesitant to try it. i know it'll kick ass :cry:
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment