150 Lovers

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: 150 Lovers

Postby marmoset » Sun Nov 07, 2010 1:42 pm

I really like them. I have 6 of them. Mine are all domey lil' sugar-pies... nice and stable. They translate well to 150 class and you don't really have to hold back on 'em. So they fly like normal TP 'Clones except they aren't as good in the wind. I like them for woodsy schtuff.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby JR » Sun Nov 07, 2010 5:47 pm

Monocacy wrote:After selling / trading a pile of discs, I have enough resources to complete my 150 bag. The main quandary is choosing a stable driver or two to complement the Champ Leopard and Star Valk or Star Roadrunner. I play a mix of tightly-wooded and wide-open courses, so I need something that can handle headwinds, tree hits, and my less-than-pristine forehand.

Here are the discs I am considering. If the budget was not limited I would simply order all and compare . . .

Teebird 150 Star: I have two on the way from trades. I love Teebirds, but when new they need to be thrown fairly hard to fly right. Throwing hard and hitting gaps may not be the best combination.

Eagle-X 150 Star: Eagles have always been shorter than Teebirds for me, but maybe I haven’t given them enough time or punishment. Also need to be thrown hard.

Eagle-L 150 Champion (11x, if it makes a difference): I have never thrown these. Would they complement or overlap with the Champ Leopard and Star Teebird?

Northman 150 VIP: Also never thrown but intriguing – I am picturing something between the Eagle and River. I do worry about a large-diameter disc in the wind, though. Has anyone thrown this in 150?

What to do, what to do?

Valk and Northman overlap. My 154 Northman is the domiest i could find and it turns just a little on full power and fades a little at the end. Overall very Valk like flight. My 175 Star Valk is fairly new and it fades more than my 154 domey Northman. The Northman is about 10' shorter for me on average than full weight Valks. For me the 150 TB isn't that much shorter than the 154 Northman. I haven't thrown a fresh TB for a while so i can't compare exactly because mine has lost some fade and ain't as HSS as a new one. Throwing 410' occasionally skipping to 440' with warp speeders. Warp speed discs at 150 are fun if wild.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Monocacy » Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:25 pm

JR wrote:Valk and Northman overlap. . . . Overall very Valk like flight. . . . The Northman is about 10' shorter for me on average than full weight Valks. For me the 150 TB isn't that much shorter than the 154 Northman.

Thank you, JR. Presumably your Northman takes a different flight path compared with the Teebird?

If the Northman is like a shorter Valk, then maybe the Star Roadrunner will be a better complement as a distance driver. I love Valks, but the RR seems like a longer Leopard and Leopards are growing on me.

If the Northman bears any resemblance to a a 150 g River, I can scrounge up the 15 bucks to see for myself.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JR » Mon Nov 08, 2010 6:06 am

I haven't thrown so light Rivers. My 154 Northman is definitely more HSS than new DX 175 Valks but not by much. My somewhat broken in 175 Star Valk is flippier than the DX Valk and 154 Northman. My 162 i think Northman also with a massive dome doesn't flip from a flat release when thrown at full power. The fade isn't really much more than that of the 154 and it drops just detectably faster and bot are within feet of each other on low line drives. RR flips most out these and for me is around as long as the DX Valk. Meaning it is longer than the Northmen. That Northman is a better TB for me if a good TB is a straight one. Although the 162 is even straighter in the beginning and can take gusts a little better. I'm not a big hitter though so for them the 150 TB might be better. A new Star 150 TB IIRC flips a few degrees for me and has a harder fade than the Northmen i have. There is the but in that assessment that i haven't thrown a new 150 Star TB with current form and power. Both of which have moved forward.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Monocacy » Sun Nov 28, 2010 10:39 am

Leopard wrote:i've got a 150g TP Cyclone at my disposal... what could i expect? anyone thrown 'em?

i doubt i'd put it in my bag. i'd buy it and let it sit around. makes me hesitant to try it. i know it'll kick ass :cry:

Nah, you’d probably hate it. Um, send it to me? :mrgreen:

Northman report: Perhaps I sanded the flash too aggressively, but my 150 VIP Northman was almost uncontrollably flippy, and waaaaay less stable than a beat-up 150 Champ Valk (standard disclaimer – no such problems with 163 Z Comet, 150 Champ Leo, etc.). Bummer.
Edited to add: Shortly after posting, I threw the 150 Northman and a beat-flippy 150 Champ Valk in a field. With approximately the same hyzer release, the Valk flipped up, tracked right, and then finished with a small fade. The Northman flipped up, slowly turned right, and then kept gliding right until it disappeared into some shrubbery. I didn't look too hard for it.

150 report: After a month or so, I am digging the mostly-150 bag, especially when I wake up the morning after playing a few rounds with nothing more than my normal aches and pains. Champ Leopard (understable), Champ Banshee (very overstable), and Star / Champ Valkyrie (distance) have settled happily into their roles. Two slots remain up for grabs:

Stable control driver: Perfection would be a 150 that flies like a more durable, mildly-seasoned 165 DX Gazelle. I have some 150 Pro-D / TP Cyclones on the way for testing, but the 150 Champ / Star Teebird and 150 Star Eagles are too beefy to be workable for me. Perhaps I need to try a 150 DX Teebird or track down some 150 DX Gazelles.

Would an S JLS or Pro-D XL overlap too much with the Leopard? Any other suggestions for the stable control slot?

Moderately overstable driver: The DGR P PD is breaking in to give me some beautiful throws, but I would like to see how the Champ / Star Teebird and Star Eagle fly after they break in a bit.

Midranges: I used to flick heavier DX Rocs quite frequently, but 150 DX Rocs refuse to tolerate my forehand OAT on anything longer than wristy approaches. The Banshee and Leopard are covering these shots for now, but I may try a 150 KC Pro Roc as a crutch until I can get my forehand cleaned up.

Sticking with the 163 Z Comet and 160s putters for now.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Nov 29, 2010 3:31 pm

I just got a 159 champ XD. I am soo super stoked to throw this thing.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:05 am

I bet that is going to be sweet. I got to throw a guys reg DX XD back to him after he canned some long putts. I forgot how well that disc holds a line.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:19 pm

Trip report on 150 champ XD: it's fun to throw. Innova needs to make more of these.
Frank Delicious

Postby BrotherDave » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:44 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:Trip report on 150 champ XD: it's fun to throw. Innova needs to make more of these.

I didn't know those existed. CFR run?
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby Flipflat » Fri Dec 03, 2010 10:49 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:Trip report on 150 champ XD: it's fun to throw. Innova needs to make more of these.

How was it on drives?

I didn't know those existed. CFR run?

I believe he said in another thread that they were run for one of the Japan Opens.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby Frank Delicious » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:10 pm

Flipflat wrote:

How was it on drives?

I didn't really use it on drives, just approaches and jump putts. I took it with me to a tourney today but it was snowing pretty good and didn't get to use it since I don't like premium putters in the rain/snow.

I'll report back when I play a lunch round and throw it.
Frank Delicious

Postby FHthrower » Mon Dec 06, 2010 10:46 pm

Monocacy wrote:
Leopard wrote:i've got a 150g TP Cyclone at my disposal... what could i expect? anyone thrown 'em?

i doubt i'd put it in my bag. i'd buy it and let it sit around. makes me hesitant to try it. i know it'll kick ass :cry:

Nah, you’d probably hate it. Um, send it to me? :mrgreen:

Northman report: Perhaps I sanded the flash too aggressively, but my 150 VIP Northman was almost uncontrollably flippy, and waaaaay less stable than a beat-up 150 Champ Valk (standard disclaimer – no such problems with 163 Z Comet, 150 Champ Leo, etc.). Bummer.
Edited to add: Shortly after posting, I threw the 150 Northman and a beat-flippy 150 Champ Valk in a field. With approximately the same hyzer release, the Valk flipped up, tracked right, and then finished with a small fade. The Northman flipped up, slowly turned right, and then kept gliding right until it disappeared into some shrubbery. I didn't look too hard for it.

150 report: After a month or so, I am digging the mostly-150 bag, especially when I wake up the morning after playing a few rounds with nothing more than my normal aches and pains. Champ Leopard (understable), Champ Banshee (very overstable), and Star / Champ Valkyrie (distance) have settled happily into their roles. Two slots remain up for grabs:

Stable control driver: Perfection would be a 150 that flies like a more durable, mildly-seasoned 165 DX Gazelle. I have some 150 Pro-D / TP Cyclones on the way for testing, but the 150 Champ / Star Teebird and 150 Star Eagles are too beefy to be workable for me. Perhaps I need to try a 150 DX Teebird or track down some 150 DX Gazelles.

Would an S JLS or Pro-D XL overlap too much with the Leopard? Any other suggestions for the stable control slot?

Moderately overstable driver: The DGR P PD is breaking in to give me some beautiful throws, but I would like to see how the Champ / Star Teebird and Star Eagle fly after they break in a bit.

Midranges: I used to flick heavier DX Rocs quite frequently, but 150 DX Rocs refuse to tolerate my forehand OAT on anything longer than wristy approaches. The Banshee and Leopard are covering these shots for now, but I may try a 150 KC Pro Roc as a crutch until I can get my forehand cleaned up.

Sticking with the 163 Z Comet and 160s putters for now.

Gotta be careful on the Discraft 150's in Pro-D, as the stability drops from other Discraft plastics, same disc. I like em. I use 150 class Pro-D XL, Pro-D Cyclone, and T-Bone for fairway drives when I can't get much into the throw due to obstacles or poor footing.
Is Frank Serious?
FHthrower
Feed Me Seymour!

Postby Monocacy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:16 pm

FHthrower wrote:Gotta be careful on the Discraft 150's in Pro-D, as the stability drops from other Discraft plastics, same disc. I like em. I use 150 class Pro-D XL, Pro-D Cyclone, and T-Bone for fairway drives when I can't get much into the throw due to obstacles or poor footing.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions. If Pro-D XLs and Cyclones beat in too quickly they would overlap with my 150 Star Leopards, to which I have become quite attached.

Gummy 150 Champ Gazelles earned first crack at the stable control slot after a few blustery rounds last weekend. The gummy 150s seem to fly similarly to my beloved 165 DX Gazelles, but should maintain their stability longer. More testing will be needed, since it is difficult to evaluate discs in strong, shifting winds.

I appreciate your response, FHthrower.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby FHthrower » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:31 pm

Monocacy wrote:
FHthrower wrote:Gotta be careful on the Discraft 150's in Pro-D, as the stability drops from other Discraft plastics, same disc. I like em. I use 150 class Pro-D XL, Pro-D Cyclone, and T-Bone for fairway drives when I can't get much into the throw due to obstacles or poor footing.

Thank you for confirming my suspicions. If Pro-D XLs and Cyclones beat in too quickly they would overlap with my 150 Star Leopards, to which I have become quite attached.

Gummy 150 Champ Gazelles earned first crack at the stable control slot after a few blustery rounds last weekend. The gummy 150s seem to fly similarly to my beloved 165 DX Gazelles, but should maintain their stability longer. More testing will be needed, since it is difficult to evaluate discs in strong, shifting winds.

I appreciate your response, FHthrower.

On Discraft's site, they distinguish between stability ratings for Pro-D vs other plastics, disc to disc. With Pro-D often being the much less stable versions. If you click on the different plastics after pulling up a disc, it will show that.

How do you feel "gummies" hold up? The one gummy I had had(a Helios EGR 'Gummy') was destroyed on the first impact, totally warped. Regular Helios EGR are holding up okay.

UR welcome...no problem.
Is Frank Serious?
FHthrower
Feed Me Seymour!

Postby Monocacy » Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:54 pm

FHthrower wrote:How do you feel "gummies" hold up? The one gummy I had had(a Helios EGR 'Gummy') was destroyed on the first impact, totally warped. Regular Helios EGR are holding up okay.

Champion plastic generally holds up very well, but last weekend was my first experience with "gummy" Champion. I hope to bounce a few drives off trees next weekend, which should provide some insight into durability.

I have not thrown Helios, so I can’t compare plastics.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment