150 Lovers

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: 150 Lovers

Postby domromer » Sat May 30, 2009 9:16 pm

marmoset wrote:I agree domromer...
JLS, Leopard, *EX are my next acquisitions.
Any input on plastics for the JLS?
I am thinking of going Q. I really like my GZs but the blend of the ones I have is kinda weak. I am thinking maybe a QJ will fly similar to my somewhat broken-in DX GZ. I know it won't be as good in the wind but I have other discs for that.

Super fast discs are still on my out list. Yeah I might be able to get them up to cruising speed now but I still find them too nose angle sensitive for my tastes. Maybe when I get my form "nailed down"...

I've thrown just about every version of JLS plastic and I gotta say I like the base Millennium plastic the best. for me the SJS and QJLS were just not the same disc. Plus the base plastic last forever!!! I've got a 5 year old JLS that I use as a turn over disc and a 3 year old JLS that is still my bread and butter driver..it's been thrown hundreds if not thousands of times. It last 10x longer than DX. Plus still flys real nice.
Last edited by domromer on Sat May 30, 2009 9:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby domromer » Sat May 30, 2009 9:17 pm

black udder wrote:
domromer wrote:I need to get a 150JLS and a 150 something super stupid fast that I can't usually throw, maybe a boss or something. I'd like to finally try the latest greatest fast disc.

I've got a 150g Teerex and 164g Boss as well as the 150g Flick and just because they're 150g doesn't mean they're easier to throw. They're still really overstable and nose sensitive. In my opinion, the 150g stuff is best for the fairway type drivers where you crave accuracy. That way, with less than full effort, you can get similar results as a heavier disc and not have to focus so much on power.

I have a 150g SOLF that's nice, but if you really try and throw it for distance, it gets away from the "ease" of the throw and accuracy.

The Boss, if thrown like a low weight disc is super overstable and if thrown for power/distance, then it's similar to what the heavier weights do. Problem is, if you can't throw the heavier ones, the lighter ones won't do anything extra for you (that I've seen), they'll just be less worthwhile in windier situations when you could reach for them in the heavier weights.

Agghhh!!!
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby SkaBob » Sat May 30, 2009 9:50 pm

I'm tellin' you guys...150 ESP Flick. mmmmmmm!
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Mr.SmOOOth » Sat May 30, 2009 11:05 pm

SkaBob wrote:I'm tellin' you guys...150 ESP Flick. mmmmmmm!

Yeah, man! I love mine for low ceiling shots that need to finish left. Used mine on Wed. in Stockton during a singles round. Two throws, two birds. One guy was tripping because I gave it a nice easy throw and it cruised, faded and skip, skip, skipped to the basket. 5 footer drop in.

Would a 150 Avenger beat in to be a good turn over disc?
"Are you talking to me on a cellular phone? I don't know you. Who is this? Don't come here! Prank caller! Prank caller!"
Mr.SmOOOth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Z BUZZZ

Postby Eric » Sun May 31, 2009 7:05 am

black udder wrote:
domromer wrote:I need to get a 150JLS and a 150 something super stupid fast that I can't usually throw, maybe a boss or something. I'd like to finally try the latest greatest fast disc.

I've got a 150g Teerex and 164g Boss as well as the 150g Flick and just because they're 150g doesn't mean they're easier to throw. They're still really overstable and nose sensitive. In my opinion, the 150g stuff is best for the fairway type drivers where you crave accuracy. That way, with less than full effort, you can get similar results as a heavier disc and not have to focus so much on power.

I have a 150g SOLF that's nice, but if you really try and throw it for distance, it gets away from the "ease" of the throw and accuracy.

The Boss, if thrown like a low weight disc is super overstable and if thrown for power/distance, then it's similar to what the heavier weights do. Problem is, if you can't throw the heavier ones, the lighter ones won't do anything extra for you (that I've seen), they'll just be less worthwhile in windier situations when you could reach for them in the heavier weights.

Thank you! That was a great tip.
Things that fly, or mostly fly.
Eric
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Smiley Face!

Postby Eric » Sun May 31, 2009 7:27 am

How do the ESP and Z Flicks compare side by side ? I use a Z flick for forehands , tomahawks , thumbers and most any other "get out of jail" or " just for fun" type shot, all of which I pretty much suck at. My forehands are a lot better because of reading here though, and I DO have this little thumber dink shot that RULES for supermanning it up over clumps of trees/bushes and rolling to the basket. Anyway, what will an ESP Flick deliver that a Z flick cannot and how do they compare with respect to durability? I hits me some trees, yes I do!

I was planning on carrying a 150 z-Flick as my overstable distance disc but think maybe a teebird or gazelle would be better to complement the leopard. I just got a star leopard @ 150 because I heard it was "glidy-er". So I guess the flick as an overstable driver at 150 grams would be pretty hard to make work consistantly?

edit: Big kudos to the Sabre. I don't throw a leopard exclusively for driving because I can use a Sabre in heavier weights. Can't wait to see what a light sabre will do for me!

Anyone know where to get a glow leopard ?
Things that fly, or mostly fly.
Eric
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Smiley Face!

Postby marmoset » Sun May 31, 2009 3:43 pm

Eric wrote:Can't wait to see what a light sabre will do for me![\quote]
I've been wondering the same thing...

Eric wrote:Anyone know where to get a glow leopard ?

Nope; let me know if you find some.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby black udder » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:11 am

Eric wrote:

How do the ESP and Z Flicks compare side by side ? I use a Z flick for forehands , tomahawks , thumbers and most any other "get out of jail" or " just for fun" type shot, all of which I pretty much suck at. My forehands are a lot better because of reading here though, and I DO have this little thumber dink shot that RULES for supermanning it up over clumps of trees/bushes and rolling to the basket. Anyway, what will an ESP Flick deliver that a Z flick cannot and how do they compare with respect to durability? I hits me some trees, yes I do!

I was planning on carrying a 150 z-Flick as my overstable distance disc but think maybe a teebird or gazelle would be better to complement the leopard. I just got a star leopard @ 150 because I heard it was "glidy-er". So I guess the flick as an overstable driver at 150 grams would be pretty hard to make work consistantly?

edit: Big kudos to the Sabre. I don't throw a leopard exclusively for driving because I can use a Sabre in heavier weights. Can't wait to see what a light sabre will do for me!

Anyone know where to get a glow leopard ?

The Flick is a fast disc, so the 150g isn't an exception. If you can't get it up to crusing speed or give it the extra snap with a sidearm, then it's just mucho overstable. The flick is sort of like a faster predator imho in that when thrown correctly, it's dead straight with a really hard fade as it slows down. The teebird @ 150g is more like it's heavier counterparts. It's straight with a predictable fade. If you throw it softer, then it it's going to hyzer most of the flight. It breaks in just like it's heavier counterparts as well (to a great hyzer fip disc with predictable fade/come back).

I've had a Z and have an ESP and they seem to fly the same to my memory. The ESP is grippier and feels better in the hand (grip and slight flex) the Z I had was old and really stiff. The one mandatory element of technique I feel you have to have for the flick is snap. If you try and muscle it, you'll turn it over. It requires reasonable snap to get it to fly correctly.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Jun 02, 2009 7:31 am

Ya'lls ain't kiddin about the moneyness of the 150 star teeb. I picked one up with some tourney winnings a month or so ago but hadn't thrown it much aside from my yard (around 250-275ish). Anyway, it is really easy to throw 300' with this disc. Give it a nice smooth pull like your throwing a mid and watch it just sail. It is much easier to get the 150 teebird up to cruising speed than the heavies.

I think I'm going to start to peice together a 150 bag for fun, my 150 kc roc is also a sweet disc. I wonder what a 150 star leo would be like?
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby black udder » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:04 am

I like combining the 150g stuff with my bag. Thus, you have all situations covered. If you're on a wooded course, maybe you can pull out the 150g teebird and get more use because it's accuracy and shorter distances vs having to throw harder and risk loss of accuracy.

I've tried a champ leopard @ 150g and it was surprisingly overstable. Much more than I had expected. Although it's supposed to be like a sidewinder, I found it more overstable than that. Since it was so overstable I had no need to put it in the bag. I'm sure it breaks in to more understable, but thought I'd mention that it might not start out quite different than you expect.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby uNicedmeMan » Tue Jun 02, 2009 8:10 am

black udder wrote:I've tried a champ leopard @ 150g and it was surprisingly overstable. Much more than I had expected. Although it's supposed to be like a sidewinder, I found it more overstable than that. Since it was so overstable I had no need to put it in the bag. I'm sure it breaks in to more understable, but thought I'd mention that it might not start out quite different than you expect.

I don't doubt it. I have a few max weight champ leo's that are pretty beefy. I'm thinking that the 150 star will start out a little more understable than the champ. I'll post about it when I track one down.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Postby marmoset » Tue Jun 02, 2009 10:41 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:I wonder what a 150 star leo would be like?

I don't know yet but give me a week and I'll find out. My next order will be JLS, Leo, Eagle X.

I have a 145 Champ Leo that is typical Leo... a bit of turn, little fade, awesome return on power investment. It is a little too broken in for the slot I'm trying to fill so I am auditioning the *Leo, JLS, Eagle.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby Aubin » Tue Jun 02, 2009 3:42 pm

1st post! :D

I've been having BIG trouble with drives lately... spraying it all over and no real distance (under 300', probably a 250' average IF it's a straight line, never is).

Like a lot of folks, I started out with an Innova pack that came with a 150 Sidewinder, and I used that thing to death then decided to move on when i started flipping it. 20 or so drivers came and went, read this thread today and pulled out 2 old 150 champ sidewinders for fun.

My backyard is 220' end to end, with a stream on one side. Concentrating on form and a good snap with flat release (stand still), the ol' 150 'winder went over the stream and about 40 or 50 feet into my neighbors yard, gentle S curve, with only about 70% of the 'power' I'd usually throw with... wow.

Consider me back in the 150 club.
ChallengerMagnetCometTeebirdsDestroyersPredator
Aubin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: APX

Postby marmoset » Tue Jun 02, 2009 4:29 pm

Aubin wrote:1st post! :D

Welcome!

I don't know why more people don't throw 150... they have alot to offer.
Pros:
1 Less power
2 more distance from glide
3 more accuracy (because of the lower power requirement)
4 more useable discs (because I can hit the cruising speed on faster discs)
5 they make you concentrate on your form more
6 more versatility (partially because they are more sensative, partially because I can either underthrow or overthrow them more easily)
7 they make you learn to play the wind. The better you are in the wind the easier you will beat people.

Cons:
1 not as many molds/plastics available
2 wind bullies them easily
3 they don't roll as far/ they slow down faster because of less momentum
4 usually viewed as *girlfriend discs*
5 more sensative= less forgiving

I probably missed a few on either side.
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby uNicedmeMan » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:17 am

^^ nice list ^^

I really like the idea of keeping a 150 version of some of the molds I throw in my bag. If I'm in a situation where I don't have much of a back swing I'll toss my 150 kc roc or 150 star teebird. Similarly, if I'm staring down a tight tunnel I can throw them nice and smooth with a better chance of hitting the first gap. For more open shots I'll toss the heavies for greater consistency.

BU: I can see my 150 star teeb getting alot of throws @ the grange.
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment