Questions about Joe's Disc Flight Chart

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Questions about Joe's Disc Flight Chart

Postby Warlord » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:11 pm

For Blake....and whoever else can explain so I can get it through my thick skull:

I'm having a little trouble understanding the power requirements for optimal performance of different discs.

For example, both Wraiths and Sidewinders are listed as having a range of 5; but the power requirement for a Wraith is listed as 5 while a Sidewinder is listed as 3. Does this mean that the optimal power/speed for maximum distance with a Sidewinder is 60% of the power used maximum distance with a Wraith?

I've heard in many places that you should throw with 100% technique and 80% power...so would I throw a Sidewinder with 60% of the 80% I use with a Wraith...60% of full power....or none of the above?

I am what I would consider somewhere between amateur and intermediate in skill. I have thrown both Starfires and Orcs between 320 and 345. I use a around 80 percent of my power on drives with those discs.

Or....is the answer in the Power Requirements "Table" on the left of the chart?

1. less than 175' of power
2. 175-225' of power
3. 225-275 .....
4. 275-325.....
5. 325 or more

One of the reasons I am asking this is that in the Power Requirement Notes it is stated that, with different levels of stability, throwing with not enough, or too much power will effect the listed flight characteristics of the disc thrown.

Hopefully, you will be able to follow this gibberish....if anybody can, please enlighten me.

Thanks in advance.
Warlord
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Sep 11, 2006 11:33 pm

I will let blake speak for himself as far as percentages, but generally the power requirement chart is what you need to refer to, if you have the arm to throw that far, you should be able to handle the disc well.
the way I take it, it hs to do with cruise speed, if you can throw hard enough to reach the cruise speed, the disc will fly as its ment to, less it will fly overstable, too much, it will fly understable.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Return to Equipment