Champ Starfire vs. Champ Orc

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Champ Starfire vs. Champ Orc

Postby adamschneider » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:47 am

According to both "Joe's Flight Chart" and the Marshall Street Flight Guide, a Starfire and an Orc are somewhat similar, but the Starfire should be more overstable. My experience, however, has been that my Champ Starfire (160g) is quite a bit less stable than my Champ Orc (162g). If thrown flat, the Orc pretty much goes dead straight at first while the Starfire turns right before coming back.

I'm not complaining, mind you; that Starfire has become my go-to driver on a lot of holes. I'm just wondering if other people have noticed this. Is what I'm seeing unique to Champion plastic?

The only explanation I can think of is that I've had the Starfire a little longer and it's therefore whacked a few more trees, but I thought Champ plastic would be more immune to such issues.
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

Postby GetMuddy350 » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:52 am

My experiance with those two drivers were the opposite for me. I found the orc to have less fade, my champ starefire was a pig.
GetMuddy350
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Sep 12, 2006 11:56 am

champ starfire or cfr starfire? you may have one of hte few champ starfires which are accually the sl mold or the same mold as the pro starfire and the star sl.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby adamschneider » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:00 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:champ starfire or cfr starfire? you may have one of hte few champ starfires which are accually the sl mold or the same mold as the pro starfire and the star sl.

It says "Champion Starfire" on it; I bought it this past spring. I don't have any Star SLs or Pro SFs to compare it to...
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Blake_T » Tue Sep 12, 2006 12:21 pm

about 2% of champ starfires are SL's marked with the SF mold.

the orc and starfire are like how the eagle and teebird were, or cheetah vs. gazelle.

orc turns more and has more fade.

both the orc and starfire have huge blend variation that affects the profile, which will change flight characteristics.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby adamschneider » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:37 pm

So is it possible that what I have is an exceedingly rare 160g Champ SL?

(If so, I'd better not lose it... it's hard to find 160g discs!)
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

starfire

Postby twmccoy » Tue Sep 12, 2006 4:48 pm

Honestly if you gave me a champ orc and CFR starfire in the same weight unmarked, I probably couldn't tell the difference. The discs look exactly the same and fly almost exactly the same. The starfire seems to have just a tiny bit less high speed turn though. Both go straight with a fairly pronounced fade at the end of flight. I have not thrown any of the new (non CFR) champion starfires.

The SL is noticeably different both in feel and flight. It is like the old beast vs. new beast.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Return to Equipment