2006 USDGS Rocs

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

2006 USDGS Rocs

Postby Glock23 » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:27 am

So, now that they have been out for a while, what are the opinions? Are they worth the $? I am thinking about picking up one of the 2006 usdgc star plastic rocs, how do they compare to the dx as far as stability, break in, dome, ect? Thanks guys!
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby redspexxx » Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:57 am

pretty domey, very stable. not worth the money imo, unless its to put on a wall.
SE roc- $35-40
ESP wasp- $14-17 :)
redspexxx
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Weebl » Thu Sep 14, 2006 12:57 pm

I got my 2006 Glow Champion Roc for $30, and it was worth it for me. Glow in the dark plastic, a overstable pig when new and reliable for hyzer flips when I want a fade now that it's been thrashed (In this plastic it would be 'broken in', it just took forever). For the first 2 months or so, I could throw it as hard as I wanted, flat, in a 30mph headwind and it wouldn't turn over. Very flat top, comparable to stability of 11x KC Gazelles vs. DX Gazelles.

Will I spend the money to get another one next year or if I lose this one? Probably not, I'm hoping to get script once i play more tournaments and place in them and maybe I'll use tourny script for that, but who knows.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Sep 14, 2006 3:01 pm

I picked up a couple because the local played again had some in as factory seconds. They throw ok, not nearly as overstable as I thought they would be. They hyzer flip really well though. I actually just took it out of my bag in favor of a esp wasp. Not really worth the money in my opinion.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby diskgopher » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:31 pm

I've thrown the glow champion, champion, and '05-'06 sb. I really like the '05 sb for straight shots but after losing the one I don't think I am going to pony up the cash to buy another. The '06 sb are fairly overstable discs but they never really seemed that much different than my 11x kc pro discs except for feel. The champion rocs are to dx rocs like champion teebirds are to dx teebirds. Shorter with less glide and more fade. They are a little disappointing even though they look great. I think the glow champion are the best of the bunch. They are very flat topped and hold a great line in the wind. They are like z wasps only faster with less high speed turn and later fade. I have been using mine for over a year with great results.

Remeber that these discs are fundraisers and they go to support a great tournament. Think of it as giving a $25 donation and getting a great gift for it. I would most likely buy a new glow champion roc if I lost mine and not just because they are great discs.
Last edited by diskgopher on Thu Sep 14, 2006 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
diskgopher
Noob

Postby Eric O » Thu Sep 14, 2006 4:50 pm

diskgopher wrote:Remeber that these discs are fundraisers and they go to support a great tournament. Think of it as giving a $25 donation and getting a great gift for it. I would most likely buy a new glow champion roc if I lost mine and not just because they are grea discs.
Good way to look at it because that is exactly how it is. I don't really understand the complaining about price, as the mark up is relatively minor for one, and it is a smart marketing technique in a capitalist system for another. Not to mention that if you want to save $$ you can easily get a Z Wasp as so many are quick to point out.

As for the discs themselves, a friend of mine who throws an 05 Glow loves it to death. It is pretty flat topped as diskgopher has said.

I hope this rain backs off so I can pop the cherry on this 06 Star Roc I have sitting here and post feedback. Got it so I would have something to perform a little better in the wind than my KC that is starting to show more wear.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Timko » Fri Sep 15, 2006 9:11 am

diskgopher wrote:Remeber that these discs are fundraisers and they go to support a great tournament. Think of it as giving a $25 donation and getting a great gift for it. I would most likely buy a new glow champion roc if I lost mine and not just because they are great discs.

That's exactly what I was going to say. I acutally don't throw my 2006 rocs (I did throw my star roc for a while, but they've come out in leiu of my elementX and element), but I'm happy to support the USDGC and EDGE program. Next year, though, I won't be shelling out the 200+ dollars on rocs. I'll limit it to 1 or 2 :).
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Eric O » Fri Sep 15, 2006 10:44 am

Got in some throws and a few rounds with my new 180g star roc. It flies pretty much how I hoped it would compared to my somewhat broken in 177g KC: a touch more resistance to turn, stronger fade, same distance. Holds it's line better in wind. Exactly what I was looking for.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:09 am

Ching Roc FT smokes them all.

My "B" (stands for beat) skull disc is losing its fade, but still holds the high speed angle. That equates to a Roc that flies nearly dead straight from a heyser flip, will bore through the wind, and goes 350 with no wind (much faster and longer than a "regualr" Roc IMHO).

My A disc (less beat) fades a little more at the end and will take even more wind.

My new one can be thrown into a 30 MPH winds and will not turn.

I have never thrown anything close.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

factory seconds

Postby RustyP » Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:16 pm

Zonedriven.com is still selling factory second ChampGlow and SB Rocs - only 18.99. I got a glow a while back, and the only flaws are small black specks in the plastic...nothing even remotely wrong with the mold.

Just another option if you don't want to spend 30-40 bucks on a disc you're not sure you will keep in your bag.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Re: factory seconds

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:52 am

RustyP wrote:Zonedriven.com is still selling factory second ChampGlow and SB Rocs - only 18.99. I got a glow a while back, and the only flaws are small black specks in the plastic...nothing even remotely wrong with the mold.

Just another option if you don't want to spend 30-40 bucks on a disc you're not sure you will keep in your bag.

I was looking around for the champGlow. I only see normal champ and SB under factory second. Is that what you are talking about or are they sold out?
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Eric O » Wed Sep 20, 2006 6:54 pm

Eric O wrote:180g star roc.
This disc is money money. Went out yesterday to a pitch & putt type 9 hole course where drivers are a bit much most of the time and was putting this disc under the basket all over the place. Much more so than usual. Almost dropped a couple in off the tee. Holds it's line much better for me than an 11x. Doesn't get flippy at all.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jerry R » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:49 am

Orchard?
Jerry R
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Q Sentinel

Postby Eric O » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:56 am

Rockwood :)
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Re: factory seconds

Postby RustyP » Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:37 am

Frank_Delicious wrote:
RustyP wrote:Zonedriven.com is still selling factory second ChampGlow and SB Rocs - only 18.99. I got a glow a while back, and the only flaws are small black specks in the plastic...nothing even remotely wrong with the mold.

I was looking around for the champGlow. I only see normal champ and SB under factory second. Is that what you are talking about or are they sold out?

The Glow Rocs were grouped in with the other x-out champion Rocs when I bought mine. After I purchased it online, i called the Innova East office and asked if they had any glows left...the guy checked their stock, and before long I had the beauty waiting on my door step. The folks at Innova are VERY helpful when it comes to ordering discs online...they never seem to mind specific color/weight requests.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Return to Equipment