Does Anyone Not have a Firebird in their bag,

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Does Anyone Not have a Firebird in their bag,

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon May 04, 2009 7:24 pm

keltik wrote:i usually don't

but i don't really see the need for it at the courses i play

but also i'm not sure i understand the purpose of the FB/Pred/XXX type disc

i own an 11x champ FB a DX FB and a Z Pred (no Frank_Delicious you can't have this one too) and a Z Xtra

so please guys educate me on the need for these low glide meat hooks, please tell me what type of holes/shots/situations these bad boys are for......i'm not being sarcastic i'm genuinely curious because i'm thinking i may be missing something mega important from my game

much love

kel

a good example of why you need them is 1 @ middle creek. It was super windy on Sunday with a good 15 mph headwind coming in to the tee, I threw a nice easy Z pred out over the road and let it come back into play and had a 30 ft putt (that I pigjammed). The other guys try to throw an orc and a beat teebird and both got beat around in the wind.

You need a disc that can do that, even around here. The shot just isn't used as much since we have so many tight wooded courses.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby sth1oo6 » Mon May 04, 2009 7:56 pm

I use a Predator(distance) and Banshee for thumbers. Jesse B how is the XXX adding 50 feet to your thumbers? What is the disc flight like? Throwing the Predator around 350 has a long slow turn.
I run a non-profit home for beaten and abused rocs.
sth1oo6
Noob

Favorite Disc: beat Roc

Postby keltik » Mon May 04, 2009 7:57 pm

you know what frank_d i immediately thought of #18 at muddy creek after i posted and you are right and i also thought of #12 @ the big Z (Zebulon)......but that's two or three holes at muddy creek and maybe 4-5 holes at Zebulon......i guess i haven't faced enough wind since i've played mostly in the winter during my short time playing this sport

aside from wind fighting.....what else are these hogs good for?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon May 04, 2009 7:59 pm

keltik wrote:you know what frank_d i immediately thought of #18 at muddy creek after i posted and you are right and i also thought of #12 @ the big Z (Zebulon)......but that's two or three holes at muddy creek and maybe 4-5 holes at Zebulon......i guess i haven't faced enough wind since i've played mostly in the winter during my short time playing this sport

aside from wind fighting.....what else are these hogs good for?

predictability and confidence. As everyone else is holding their breath, hoping their disc comes back left. You can know yours will.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby phantem » Mon May 04, 2009 8:29 pm

I throw Preds.

great for shots that have to finish left (rhbh) and fight the wind. While I have other discs that can do this with a hyzer release, it is nice to have that dependability. I have found sharp turning skip shots are great with these "meathooks".
phantem
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Star Shark » Mon May 04, 2009 9:01 pm

Firebirds are many peoples' disc of choice for thumbers. Also you can throw a Firebird in pretty much any condition and you know it will hold a straight or hyzer line. That kind of reliability can't be underestimated.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby keltik » Mon May 04, 2009 9:34 pm

i guess i lack the power to utilize such discs properly......a teebird does this for me (straight to reliable fade) just farther.......but maybe without the wind resistance......and as far as over hand shots.....i use just about anything for those

this is why i'm asking if i'm doing something wrong.....or if i just don't throw far/hard enough
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Jesse B 707 » Mon May 04, 2009 10:27 pm

sth1oo6 wrote:I use a Predator(distance) and Banshee for thumbers. Jesse B how is the XXX adding 50 feet to your thumbers? What is the disc flight like? Throwing the Predator around 350 has a long slow turn.
if i throw my pred (tommy) it will just never turn over for some reason and just hit the ground at around the same angle i threw it at, firebirds do about the same thing for me :? so up until recently i was throwing tommies with my champ roadrunner and getting a nice slow turn and respectable distance (330ish) with the XXX i get a WAY more gradual turn and better foreword penetration. the XXX does take a bit more altitude to fly a complete pattern but with it my average tommy is in the 360 range with some stretching out around 375. As far as thumbers go i was never able to get a clean release with my preds (alot of flutter) so i never really used thumbers but with the XXX its super easy for me to get a clean release, its been the first disc that i can get any kind of respectable thumber out of (bout 300). if the banshee works well for you there may be no point but i wouldnt be shocked if you could pick up some extra d with a XXX
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby ChUcK » Tue May 05, 2009 12:10 am

BrettWare wrote:Seriously, the most used disc in my bag,

cant imagine not having like 4+ in my bag.

and then the FL comes to me like a miracle from heaven and i can get rid of 2-3 more molds laying in my bag with less consistency.

In my opinion the best disc innova has made.

I would put with it if i could

Long story short- to answer your question, yes, a veritable assload of folks do not carry a firebird, myself included.

I do share the love for discs that fill that slot, though. I cannot imagine playing a round without some sort of overstable pig in the quiver.
We are not like those other golfers. We throw our clubs and keep our balls where they belong. -Ol' Bob
ChUcK
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: all of 'em.

Postby JR » Tue May 05, 2009 5:49 am

victorb wrote:honestly I throw a predator and banshee longer on a thumber than a firebird....so no use for a firebird in my bag.

The best D depends on power and spin. Banshee and Flick are my longest tommy discs at this point in development.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Tue May 05, 2009 6:00 am

keltik wrote:i guess i lack the power to utilize such discs properly......a teebird does this for me (straight to reliable fade) just farther.......but maybe without the wind resistance......and as far as over hand shots.....i use just about anything for those

this is why i'm asking if i'm doing something wrong.....or if i just don't throw far/hard enough

They are best for long throwers. They get better for 400'+ crowd than 350' throwers and less than that they're just utility discs. Pig usage: Throwing low right of a tree ending left of it by the basket for approaches with ceilings. Skips hard headwinds straight or with a straight throw left finish. Avoiding killer hazards on the right. Spikes in winds without flipping or taken completely for a ride by the wind. Limiting blow bys spiking. FH. Compensating user error of OAT or too much arm speed or both. To name a few off the top of my head.

Read: Even a 250' thrower can find use for them but they grow with the thrower to become even better.

There are conditions that need even more overstable discs like tree felling winds and hard headwind left finish. My solution for that is named E Spirit in a heavy weight.

No FB in the bag. Mine is a domey Champ 12x that fades earlier becoming shorter than Z Pred that's straighter in a headwind especially early in the flight. Currently Boss 168 Star for FH, hyzers, straight headwind shots and s-curves complimented by the much beefier shorter Spirit cover many lines, distances and windy drives for me. Happy as a hog! No Pred blasphemy! It'd be in the bag without the light Star Boss. I'd have little problems putting it back if I lost the Boss. Pred can't replace the Spirit in many important shots.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby MR. WICK » Tue May 05, 2009 7:29 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:
sth1oo6 wrote:I use a Predator(distance) and Banshee for thumbers. Jesse B how is the XXX adding 50 feet to your thumbers? What is the disc flight like? Throwing the Predator around 350 has a long slow turn.
if i throw my pred (tommy) it will just never turn over for some reason and just hit the ground at around the same angle i threw it at, firebirds do about the same thing for me :? so up until recently i was throwing tommies with my champ roadrunner and getting a nice slow turn and respectable distance (330ish) with the XXX i get a WAY more gradual turn and better foreword penetration. the XXX does take a bit more altitude to fly a complete pattern but with it my average tommy is in the 360 range with some stretching out around 375. As far as thumbers go i was never able to get a clean release with my preds (alot of flutter) so i never really used thumbers but with the XXX its super easy for me to get a clean release, its been the first disc that i can get any kind of respectable thumber out of (bout 300). if the banshee works well for you there may be no point but i wouldnt be shocked if you could pick up some extra d with a XXX

So you are getting more distance with a disc that rotates more in the air? I switched from the pred back to the fb because the pred rotates too much causing lack of distance, once they complete their rotation they crash. The slower a disc rotates in the air on an overhand shot the more distance this will equate too. You just have to throw it hard enough.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby pointdisc » Tue May 05, 2009 7:51 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:if i throw my pred (tommy) it will just never turn over for some reason and just hit the ground at around the same angle i threw it at, firebirds do about the same thing for me :?

I find this happens when I get lazy on overhand & don't get enough spin. Perhaps the problem?

Anyways 11x Firechickens all the way. Had preds, went to these & never looked back. They do what I want them to when I want them to & how I want them to every time. I may have to try a XXX for overhand after all the praise, but I'm not expecting any additional distance...

pd
Rhyno - Element X - Eagle - Firebird - SOLF - QOLS
CLICK HEREto sign up for instant DGR karma!!!
pointdisc
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Eagle-X

Postby abcd » Tue May 05, 2009 7:55 am

Preds. If my shoulder allowed me to throw overhands I'd prolly carry a firechicken instead. Both are good discs.
abcd
Tree Magnet

Postby emiller3 » Tue May 05, 2009 8:08 am

For anyone who throws tomahawks, what would a Firebird get me over my pearly Champ Monster? The Monster is slow turning, predictable, and still very long, about as long as the Destroyer is for me (usually between 300-330') with a lot more predictability. It seems to be very easy to throw various distances with it as well. It also doesn't roll very much. I'm starting to really use my overhand game and it's making life a lot easier for me, but I'm not very sure of which discs are suited for this thing. I've tried Destroyers, Grooves, Orcs, and Monsters, and I've found that more overstable=less right to left movement=more consistent. Is that generally true?
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment