Gateway vs Innova

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Gateway vs Innova

Postby Fritz » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:13 pm

I picked Innova cause my bag is entirely Innova and Millennium so those are what I'd have to compare to Gateway discs.

Ok so, here is my assesment of Gateway discs to Innova discs.
Let me know (Blake or others :) ) if my assesment is correct.
Drivers:
Gateway to Innova

Illusion flies like a Starfire and/or Beast
Spirit flies like a Viper
Blaze flies like a Firebird and/or Banshee
Sabre flies like a Gazelle
Element X flies like a KC PRo Roc - Roc
Element flies like an Ontario Roc
Demon is all alone nothing to really compare too...Maybe a Whippett??
Scream DT flies like a Sidewinder and/or RoadRunner

So far these are the ones Iv'e thrown.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Amateur » Sat Sep 16, 2006 10:24 pm

The Demon might compare to a Whippet X. Innova doesn't have anything like the Sabre. The Spirit is way faster than a Viper.

That's all I got. You might as well expirament, I really like their plastic.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Weebl » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:14 am

my experience with the illusion is that the illusion is a lot more high speed stable, as well as low speed overstable. Demon is comparable to a Ram.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:16 am

not even a champ whippet-x really compares to a demon, the drone (discraft so dosnt count here) is the only one that s close
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Fritz » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:33 am

I felt the Gazelle and the Sabre were really close. Only thing different was that I could put the gazelle maybe 10 feet farther. However I noticed that when the sabre got beat in it really didn't lose any of it's stability unlike the gazelle which gets pretty understable over time.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:18 am

the sabre is a straight driver, and the gazelle is versitle (although part of that is being capable of a pretty darn straight toss.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby Timko » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:13 am

I've felt the Blaze is more similar to the Whippet than to the Firebird. I've felt the Blaze is more of a long mid/fairway driver.
Also, I'd compare the Spirit to nothing in the Innova line. Perhaps the TeeWrecksX. The Spirit just has an unparalleled combination of (over)stability and speed. I've never thrown a Ram, but I've heard it's a super-crazy overstable. I know the Viper is less overstable than the Demon though.

Scream - Orc
Hybrid - Between the Banshee and Teebird stability wise. Teebird glide. Teebird speed.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

innova

Postby twmccoy » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:27 pm

Innova any day. They make far more discs and in many more different molds than gateway. Also, gateways are hard to come by and their plastic isn't as good as innova's.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Re: innova

Postby eg37167 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:38 pm

twmccoy wrote:Innova any day. They make far more discs and in many more different molds than gateway. Also, gateways are hard to come by and their plastic isn't as good as innova's.

Innova has more discs and much higher market recongition and penetration. I agree with that. Gateways are harder to find in a retail store, but that is not the only way to shop.

To say Gateway's plastic is inferior tells me you haven't thrown it much. I don't think you should dismiss it so lightly if you haven't.
Gateway S is much more durable than Innova DX. Also, many of Innova's discs are VERY similar, where Gateway does try different concepts. They don't always pan out, but they are on the cutting edge, I think.
eg37167
Tree Magnet

Postby Timko » Sun Sep 17, 2006 3:57 pm

twmccoy wrote:Innova any day. They make far more discs and in many more different molds than gateway. Also, gateways are hard to come by and their plastic isn't as good as innova's.

I knew it would take someone less than 10 replies to turn this into some Gateway vs. Innova thread. I thought were just trying to compare molds. Both companies have particular discs that are superior to their competitors.

Both make good discs.

There. End of the dick waving contest.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Fritz » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:39 pm

Furthur wrote:

I knew it would take someone less than 10 replies to turn this into some Gateway vs. Innova thread. I thought were just trying to compare molds. Both companies have particular discs that are superior to their competitors.

Both make good discs.

There. End of the dick waving contest.

WE were this wasn't a post of who's dick is bigger and better it was a comparing of who's disc is like who...

I jsut wanted to see if My assesment was on par with what others thought about the discs.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Fritz » Sun Sep 17, 2006 5:40 pm

eg37167 wrote:

Innova has more discs and much higher market recongition and penetration. I agree with that. Gateways are harder to find in a retail store, but that is not the only way to shop.

To say Gateway's plastic is inferior tells me you haven't thrown it much. I don't think you should dismiss it so lightly if you haven't.
Gateway S is much more durable than Innova DX. Also, many of Innova's discs are VERY similar, where Gateway does try different concepts. They don't always pan out, but they are on the cutting edge, I think.

I agree with youyr statements EG37167.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:20 pm

twmccoy wrote:their plastic isn't as good as innova's.
that is the oppisite of what I think, gateway has been one up on the other companies as far as plastic goes. S is more druable (and flies as well) as DX or Pro D, H is similar to pro/x but feels more like star, while E is very similar to a star/esp blend, but more durable.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby eg37167 » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:44 pm

Furthur wrote:I knew it would take someone less than 10 replies to turn this into some Gateway vs. Innova thread. I thought were just trying to compare molds. Both companies have particular discs that are superior to their competitors.

Both make good discs.

There. End of the <deleted> waving contest.

I was not waving anything, just to clarify.

I agree, both companies discs have their merits. I don't pretend to know enough to tell anyone what is right for them. My game is average on a good day. I personally have a lot of success with Gateway discs, and have yet to find an Innova that I was confident to use regularly.

The plastic comments seem opposite of what I have read an perceived. Even some players who don't like a GDS disc enough to keep it in their bag have really liked their plastic.
eg37167
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Sep 17, 2006 7:57 pm

of course both companies have their faults too. and its funny, each company is only represented by one mold in my bag. LONG LIVE DISCRAFT!!! lol, just kidding...
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Next

Return to Equipment