Gateway vs Innova

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby superq » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:05 am

Gateway is really a different deal all together, where Innova and Discraft are very beginer friendly and have several models for all levels of players Dave at Gateway went a different approach, He made Golf discs for Professionals first. You have to have a certain amount of power and grace to bomb a sabre or a blaze, then when he made the speed demon/ spirit / ilusion, he was making something longer than anything at the time and still gearing it towards the pro players. Now with the merger with Quest and the things they are doing going back and making discs that everyone can throw and throw a long way.

Gateway is a lot more of a grass roots disc company, I have been on the team for less than 6 months and I am always meeting guys that are on the team and even before they know I am they are nice and curtious and always willing to let someone throw there stuff, I can not count how many screams I gave out to people I was playing with around town...

bottom line is that the Gateway line of golf discs are not the same as innova just like innova discs are not like discraft. the thing is that if you are not a sponsored player then it does not matter what you throw and unless you are seriously looking at sponsorship then you are doing yourself a disservice by having blind loyalty to any company and by not giving another company a fair shake then you are denying a chance to improve.

I throw Gateway plastic becuase in my opinion it is as good and in some cases better than what I was throwing before, becuase Dave Mccormick was willing to take a chance on me, and becuase it allows me to spend my money on the things that are really important in my life.

8)
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Re: gateway

Postby twmccoy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:01 pm

Fritz wrote:
twmccoy wrote:Wow, you gateway lovers are a testy bunch. :? . I still think their discs are nothing special.

How many of them have you thrown? considering you don't buy discs? (I'm not being mean, in saying that I just want to know what your statement of they aren't anything special comes from).

I've thrown a demon, apache, wizard and illusion. Flat out nothing special. Hey, they are better than lightning discs though.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Jwt4412 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:10 pm

What were you trying to do with the Demon?

Cuz there is nothing like a demon for short stick-it knife hyzers...
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby Fritz » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:01 pm

Jwt4412 wrote:What were you trying to do with the Demon?

Cuz there is nothing like a demon for short stick-it knife hyzers...

Ya got that right. The Demon is a great knifer disc. Hole 5 short spot Badlands perfect disc for that type of hole.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby discmonkey42 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:37 am

OK, I can't help at least one post here. I threw all Gateway for a while. I professed their virtues and how wonderful they were. See my posts on the STick it forum for proof. The only Gateway left in my bag is the wizard (which will never leave). My scores are lower with teebirds and valks, period. But that's me. I would not presume to bash the discs Gateway makes. They make some good ones. They are just over my skill level right now. I think all companies make both good and crappy discs. Could we spend more time helping each other now and stop bashing each other and the discs we like? If throwing a pringles lid works for you, it is a great disc, for you. No one has the right to say it's not, ever.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Jwt4412 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:46 am

They are just over my skill level right now.

That's my problem too.

I still throw Wizards and Demons.

I practice with a stack of Sabres to work on my form. But I throw Leopards, Gazelles and Banshees when I play on the course so I can judge my form and and understanding of discs when playing with others as I continue to learn the details of the game...

I have been throwing Wasps, Buzzzs and Glides to try them out but I am thinking seriously of going back to Element Xs and Elements...

I told myself I wasn't changing the bag for the season... so I won't.

It is the Archer not the Arrows...
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:51 am

I remeber you doing that (it was only a couple months ago), And the short term was you were posting scores= to your previous correct? Then going back to a mixed bag gave you better scores, so in the end your game got better right?
I to am back to just the wizard, and am throwing my best rounds yet, but I still appreciated gateways stuff, especially element x and sabre (and of course wizard)
I am looking to try the inferno, although I havent tried a new D driver since I started throwing just avengers. are DX Starfire X's here yet?
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Jwt4412 » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:06 pm

Yep...

But I think my game is getting better, not because of the mixed bag, but because I have slowed down the drivers...

Advice I picked up from reading this site.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Solty » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:58 pm

i can only agree. I started a gateway kick in the beginning of summer however nothing could compare to the accuracy of the teebird. I couldn't get used to an element and stuck with my classic roc(i know...prolly the only person who uses em) and i still swear by my wizards. I did carry a speed demon however it was too much disc for my needs. I started recently using a predator....which makes me thing i could go back to the speed demon.....but man.....the SP is a stable pig.

Like everyone else, i never bash a company, and really never hate a disc. Like our gateway bandit, JWT4412.....It truly is the the archer, and not the arrow.

mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Fritz » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:45 pm

Keep your eyes open, Gateway will be releasing a disc that will compete with the Teebird soon. Hopefully they'll actually be able to do it. No one else has yet.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby garublador » Thu Sep 21, 2006 7:04 am

Fritz wrote:Keep your eyes open, Gateway will be releasing a disc that will compete with the Teebird soon. Hopefully they'll actually be able to do it. No one else has yet.

They've been saying that for several years now. They've promoted the Sabre and Hybrid as alternatives to the Teebird before as well.

I will give them that they made a good midrange, though. It took a while, but they did come through on that one with the Element-X.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Timko » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:12 pm

garublador wrote:
Fritz wrote:Keep your eyes open, Gateway will be releasing a disc that will compete with the Teebird soon. Hopefully they'll actually be able to do it. No one else has yet.

They've been saying that for several years now. They've promoted the Sabre and Hybrid as alternatives to the Teebird before as well.

I will give them that they made a good midrange, though. It took a while, but they did come through on that one with the Element-X.

I will say it when I see it. While the sabre and hybrid are great discs in their own right (well, the sabre is...I just don't posess the arm to throw my hybrids yet), nothing has come around to knock my dx teebirds out of my bag.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Previous

Return to Equipment