Who loves Orc?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Who loves Orc?

Postby Roy » Fri May 08, 2009 6:17 am

lovetoDG wrote:Anyone throw Pro Orc?

Orc was my first driver also that helped me improve fast by using forehand. I always wished I still have it because it was best disc I ever used. I would look for it every ones in a while in hoping to find it but that was 2 years ago. I doubt I will find it.

Where can I find special blend Orc??? I don't want order by mistaken that only comes in Star.

Pro orc was a different mold wasnt it? Like an Orc-L
Roy
Colonel Cleavage

Postby uNicedmeMan » Fri May 08, 2009 6:28 am

I have a bunch of pearly champ orcs sitting arround that I gathered for trade fodder. They feel great in the hand and flip up to a nice glidey flight for me but I've been using wraiths as my distance driver for a bit. I don't throw my distance drivers all that much backhand but very often forehand. I think the orc would be a great backhand distance disc for me but I don't know if it would work as good for the FH as the wraith. I use the wraith because it works for both.

Do you guys throw your orcs FH with good success?

My buddy who throws a bit farther than me uses orcs for controlled distance and destroyers/boss for all out distance. Is anyone doing this as well?
-Find the Others-
uNicedmeMan
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Gotta be the PD

Postby discspeed » Fri May 08, 2009 6:48 am

Roy wrote:

Orc was my first driver also that helped me improve fast by using forehand. I always wished I still have it because it was best disc I ever used. I would look for it every ones in a while in hoping to find it but that was 2 years ago. I doubt I will find it.

Where can I find special blend Orc??? I don't want order by mistaken that only comes in Star.

Pro orc was a different mold wasnt it? Like an Orc-L

Nope, same mold. If there is an Orc-L it is called the Beast.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby discspeed » Fri May 08, 2009 7:27 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:
Do you guys throw your orcs FH with good success?

Hell yes! One of my 2 FH aces was with a Champ Orc. For me it is the most effortless driver I can throw FH and still get some predictability out of. I must say that I have a somewhat soft delivery and do not torque as much as power FH throwers.

My buddy who throws a bit farther than me uses orcs for controlled distance and destroyers/boss for all out distance. Is anyone doing this as well?

Yes. Orc/Starfire/Boss for me.
Last edited by discspeed on Fri May 08, 2009 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
discspeed

Postby dvlcek » Fri May 08, 2009 7:50 am

Kind of funny this thread popped up. I grabbed a beat DX Orc last night from the stack to toss for the dogs and was out driving where I put my Surges and Wraiths. Got me thinking I should go back and give this disc another try and why I dropped it in the first place. Maybe my form wasn't what it is today back then and kept searching for the next miracle disc. Probably that.
dvlcek
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Piranha

Postby floppydisc » Fri May 08, 2009 7:54 am

I had a Pro Orc for a while that I found on the course. It was a sweet disc for long turnover shots. Just threw it straight and flat and watch it turn slowly and glide and glide and come back for a small fade at the end. But since they dont make those any more I didn't want to get too involved with it.

All of my longest throws ever (370-380 ft) have been with Champion Orcs.
floppydisc
Noob

Postby chiggins » Fri May 08, 2009 8:11 am

uNicedmeMan wrote:My buddy who throws a bit farther than me uses orcs for controlled distance and destroyers/boss for all out distance. Is anyone doing this as well?

Yep. Love them Orcs, super dependable. I use Wraiths for the "that's longer than I can throw and pretty open" shots, and Champ Wraiths for forehands, but anything I can reach I'd rather hit with an Orc
chiggins
2009 DGR Donator

Postby metal » Fri May 08, 2009 8:43 am

seasoned champ orcs are $$$
RATTLE THE CAGE!!!
metal
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Jaysus » Fri May 08, 2009 9:24 am

I carry 3 Champ Orcs in my bag, two @ 171 (one beat, one newish) and one at 156 (beat and pink!).

The 171s are my main forehands discs, and the beat one is my distance backhand disc for open holes. I use the 156 Orch as a utility flick/trick shot type disc and on calm days for long straight back hands... oh, and on long uphill shots.

I have two DX Orcs as well, one I found and have never thrown, and the other I don't through because It got beat to hell quick like on the wooded courses I play most - I'd have to really spend some time with it to figure it out, and since I know what I get from the Champs at this point, I'll just roll with them.
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Seneca_22 » Fri May 08, 2009 10:19 am

I like my 162 Champ Orc. It's a cool disc overall, but I throw it RHFH if I need a straighter line and not too much S curve. It will level out, turn over a little and glide for a while before coming out nicely. It's also my main RHBH for shorter holes since I have so little D on my RHBH. It's my S-Curve disc for that shot.
Seneca_22
Tree Magnet

Postby practically invincible » Fri May 08, 2009 11:03 am

Yesterday when playing a round I realized that I was getting more glide and distance out of my pearly orc, even when choosing at random to make sure it wasn't in my head. Why is this? And where can one find more?
The only disc I throw well consistently is my lucky Wizard.
practically invincible
Tree Magnet

Postby holyschemp » Fri May 08, 2009 11:18 am

This is probably a silly question, and not completely thread related, but you guys keep referring to your "beat" champion orcs. I haven't had enough encounters with trees and such to be able to make the call for myself, but isn't champion plastic supposed to retain original flight characterisics?...for..ever?
holyschemp
Tree Magnet

Postby Jesse B 707 » Fri May 08, 2009 12:22 pm

holyschemp wrote:This is probably a silly question, and not completely thread related, but you guys keep referring to your "beat" champion orcs. I haven't had enough encounters with trees and such to be able to make the call for myself, but isn't champion plastic supposed to retain original flight characterisics?...for..ever?

nope
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Leopard » Fri May 08, 2009 12:33 pm

practically invincible wrote:... pearly orc ... where can one find more?

i have a good number of them for sale, $22 shipped
decent range of weights, all new! tourny stamp from World Doubles 04
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby discspeed » Fri May 08, 2009 12:41 pm

holyschemp wrote:This is probably a silly question, and not completely thread related, but you guys keep referring to your "beat" champion orcs. I haven't had enough encounters with trees and such to be able to make the call for myself, but isn't champion plastic supposed to retain original flight characterisics?...for..ever?

I guess forever is actually a relative term. Compared to dx...Champion lasts forever. Dave Dunipace, inventor of the modern disc and Innova's disc designer has said that one of the reasons that most of the discs that have come out since the Orc have an "L" bevel is that the structure is more impact resistant than the notched "X" bevel. He has also noted that the Orc is one of the least durable of the distance driver molds because of this and this is one reason the pro Orc was discontinued. SO...Champion plastic is great, but in a mold like the Orc it will break in noticably over time. I have a max weight Champ Orc that is VERY flippy, about like a Roadrunner.
discspeed

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment