Who loves Orc?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Who loves Orc?

Postby zj1002 » Wed May 13, 2009 8:26 am

ah ok thanks for that info

that disc is still #1 on my wish list I just don't want to order one online. hopefully discnation starts carrying them now that they gave it a new name and plastic
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby JKP » Wed May 13, 2009 8:35 am

Maybe i should test one of these so special orcs against my 12x wraiths
Omega ss-Kc Aviar-Comet-Roc-Vision-Pd-Firebird-Katana
JKP
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: vision

Postby JR » Wed May 13, 2009 11:01 am

JKP wrote:Maybe i should test one of these so special orcs against my 12x wraiths

I've thrown a PD S-Line 168 once in a headwind and a rear wind. Straight about Striker max weight D more wind resistance. I threw my Champ 167 Orc yesterday and at that weight in mild to moderate winds it was very flippy in low winds in low lines and it's new. I like it in some situations after all I've got an after dark ace with it. The LED inthe bottom center of the flight plate didn't seem to change flight when I installed it. i have 175 12x star Wraith and it's a fine disc without the usual finickiness of regular Wraiths but in enough headwind it still shows speed sensitivity. Just with a higher cruising speed or HSS. I'd say higher speed or it's a tad more LSS too. I'd like to know how SB Orcs fare against 12x Wraiths. Against 167 and 175 C Orcs 12x Wraiths are faster and significantly more HSS and a bit more LSS with more glide thus speed if you've got linear speed to spare. Orcs require more snap for stability straightening and D and are easier to snap harder without bear sized hands. Wraiths are better for low snap high arm speed throwers that can cope with the wider wing or can't generate big snap no matter the wing width.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Donkeypuncher » Wed May 13, 2009 1:29 pm

The orc sucks, so all of you should stop using them and send them to me :D

I find the orc/starfire combo still works great, until you hit 20+ mph headwinds.
200, and 40 dollars......a worth a puddin'
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discspeed » Wed May 20, 2009 7:16 pm

I found a beat Champ Orc that is so flippy it has replaced my Roadrunner. I prefer the grip of the Orc and this one flies a tiny bit more HSS than the Roadrunner and actually has less LSS. So now I have the beat Orc/straight champ Orc/Champ Starfire combo.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Acer1 » Sat May 23, 2009 11:36 pm

i had a star orc that i used for short holes that i would put a lot of hyzer on and it would drop right next to the basket. i never really used it for long drives. it just didn't carry for me like my beast or my wraith did.

i lost it last week tho, luckily i found a champ orc and i use it for those shots now.

a lot of people like to drive with them, i just never liked it for that
My Bag

2x star beat
1x champ beast
1x champ wraith
1x elite-z first run crush
1x star orc
1x dx valk
2x champ t-bird
1x pro leo
2x elite-z wasp
2x ss wizard
Acer1
Noob

Favorite Disc: Star Beast

Postby latitude » Sun May 24, 2009 5:11 am

I've seen a lot of players using the Champion Orc, but as close to never seen anyone throwing the Star. I'm gonna buy one for my dad whos currently are throwing (both new) a Pro Starfire which seems a bit to understable and a Pro Wraith which is a bit too overstable. Would a Star Orc fit in between these two?
latitude
Fairway Surgeon

Postby discspeed » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:45 am

I have been a little bummed the last couple of weeks because I threw my seasoned Orc into the lake. The Orc is my main driver on longer holes where I use it for almost all lines between hard hyzers and shots that need to flip a lot, so losing the one I know best is a setback. Yesterday I bought 3 new ones to try and cope with my loss. After experimenting with many different shapes, weights, and plastics over the past summer I have come to the conclusion that max weight is most consistent and not necessarily overstable out of the box, so I chose 3 @ 175g. Since I was looking for straight, the first 2 I grabbed were magenta/clear with a medium dome and of medium stiffness. The store also had a new breed of champ Orc in stock, ones that I believe are the result of the new "stabilization process" that Dave D. has been doing to selective runs of most of Innova's stable to overstable drivers. These discs felt much different from all the other Orcs as they were very domey, very stiff, and opaque (like a hybrid between clear and pearly). They had 10 of these, all marked 175. After weighing them all, only 1 actually weighed 175g. All others were 173-174. And while most were bright colors, that single 175 was army green...hardly my favorite color for a disc. I bought it anyway because my Orcs stay in the fairway for the most part.

The magentas flew well out of the box, however with the flashing they had some annoying LSS. After removing the flashing they now fly as straight as my seasoned one had, perhaps even straighter. Immediately after I sanded off that flashing I used one on the first hole of my doubles round, which is a 390' hole with about a 10'-12' ceiling right off the tee. There was a slight headwind. I threw my Orc with slight hyzer just under the ceiling and it cruised 400' straight. The others in my group thought that it would fade in for an ace run (used to watching wraiths, destroyers, and bosses), but I knew better. It literally faded less than 5' to the left and dropped right behind the basket. These were exactly what the doctor ordered.

The GI Joe Orc is a badass in its own right as well. With the flashing it was quite overstable, resisting the characteristic straight Orc flight in favor of an early pull to the left. Flashing removed it is still extremely HSS (true "0"), but it now has a late fade on a flat throw. Any micro amount of hyzer at release is translated into an earlier straight gliding fade. Although I'm quite attached to the stable Orc in my bag, this one flies truer(more HSS, less LSS) and I look forward to Innova continuing to make this type of Orc.

IMO the Orc is the pinnacle of speed and controlability. All faster discs lack the versatility and predictability that I get from the Orc, and when I go a step slower the 400' straight hyzer becomes much more laborsome for me.
discspeed

Postby erb » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:30 pm

discspeed wrote: that single 175 was army green...hardly my favorite color for a disc. I bought it anyway because my Orcs stay in the fairway for the most part.

Dye it.

discspeed wrote: IMO the Orc is the pinnacle of speed and controlability. All faster discs lack the versatility and predictability that I get from the Orc,

Yeah, the orc is a solid disc.
erb
Tree Magnet

Postby discspeed » Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:48 pm

erb wrote:
discspeed wrote: that single 175 was army green...hardly my favorite color for a disc. I bought it anyway because my Orcs stay in the fairway for the most part.

Dye it.

Army green + any color dye = poop brown.
discspeed

Postby erb » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:52 pm

discspeed wrote:
erb wrote:

Dye it.

Army green + any color dye = poop brown.

lol. Well, unless your throwing in a field of shit, it should be good!
erb
Tree Magnet

Postby LumberJack » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:54 pm

I love Orc! But if it's open.. I'm throwing an Rpro Boss. But But But... I love Orc!

Pure, Rhyno, Roc, Saint, QOLF, Astra, Quasar, Predator

People deserve the government they get. Why? Because they haven't learned to govern themselves.
LumberJack
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby jnecessary » Sun Oct 11, 2009 9:59 am

I got interested in the Orc a while back, ended up acquiring 5 champ (one of which is the champy/star) and only threw them for one round, didn't even take them to the field. I guess I was mad that they were flipping in the wind. I may need to give them a shot again because I still think it is the perfect driver for my power. I can get Wraiths to 400 when needed but it takes a bit more effort that I would like to put into it. I thought the Orc would be perfect for that power range because I should be able to manipulate the disc by overpowering it from hyzer which is what I prefer to throw when possible.

I'll take em out and report back.
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Postby discspeed » Sun Oct 11, 2009 10:50 am

jnecessary wrote:I got interested in the Orc a while back, ended up acquiring 5 champ (one of which is the champy/star) and only threw them for one round, didn't even take them to the field. I guess I was mad that they were flipping in the wind. I may need to give them a shot again because I still think it is the perfect driver for my power. I can get Wraiths to 400 when needed but it takes a bit more effort that I would like to put into it. I thought the Orc would be perfect for that power range because I should be able to manipulate the disc by overpowering it from hyzer which is what I prefer to throw when possible.

I'll take em out and report back.

Just remember this...Flat and/or flexible turn at high speed brand new, and domey/stiff fly stable to overstable when new.
discspeed

Postby jnecessary » Mon Oct 12, 2009 7:22 am

discspeed wrote:
Just remember this...Flat and/or flexible turn at high speed brand new, and domey/stiff fly stable to overstable when new.

couldn't be more true...the gummier ones were flippy and the 2 that were very hard champ plastic were very stable to overstable...spot on, none of them had a lot of dome but i guess the stiff ones had just a tad bit more but wow that is nice to know that they are exactly what you said they would be.

I almost threw them on mirror lines, gummy I would throw 15deg left of target(RHBH) and they faded right the whole way, while stiff/stable i threw 15deg right and they hyzered in to center nicely
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment