Who loves Orc?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Who loves Orc?

Postby DPJ88 » Mon Oct 12, 2009 2:26 pm

I love Orcs. If you dislike how they can get flippy into some winds, you can accent them with Starfires which fly very similarly, but more stable.
Pred - Orc - EagleX - River - Wasp - Buzzz - Fuse - Challenger
DPJ88
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Postby lovetoDG » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:07 pm

Nice to see this bought back alive.

I lost my beaten Champ Orc and has not had any Orc Greatness since. I had an hard time looking for Pearly Domey Champ but instead got flat pearly and clear domey ones. I have used them a lot less but still use ones in a while. My Domey Champ is starting to get beat but haven't met my demand yet. Sad to see my space ship get drunk into the water.
Nuke-PD-Teebird-Roadrunner-Roc-Wizard
lovetoDG
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 11x Teebird

Postby Jaysus » Tue Oct 13, 2009 8:06 am

I carry 3 champ Orcs in my bag... but I lost one over the weekend that may be gone for quite some time. Not a happy day.

On the plus side, it was my newest one, and will be easier to replace than the others.
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby matchu » Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:16 am

I like the orc, when it is someone else's... seems when I buy one for myself I end up with the freak overstable ones that won't even fly flat. There great disc imo
Synchronize the why’s, the if’s the lies. Shake and sift through the mess. Digress the flesh left is our disguise.

matchu
matchu
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Earl » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:12 pm

The Orc is my favorite distance driver, but it has such an exaggerated S-curve (--HSS, ++LSS) that I have trouble throwing it in windy conditions. If I rip the Orc hard and flat into a headwind there's a good chance it won't flex out in time and will continue turning right into the ground. Throwing the Orc with hyzer fixes this problem, but then the low speed fade becomes unpredictable: sometimes there is only a slight fade, sometimes it hyzers out pretty hard. Maybe it's just me. :?

When the wind isn't blowing I love the Orc. Unfortunately, my home course is usually pretty windy (Old Settler's Park - Round Rock, TX) and it always seems like I'm throwing my Teerex instead. When it's REALLY STUPID WINDY, I throw a Max.

I think I'll have to try the Starfire, soon. The Teerex seems to be a little out of my power range--I'm much more comfortable with speed-10 distance drivers. Do the Teerex and Starfire have similar flight characteristics?
The secret to life is that there is no secret; this is the secret we keep from ourselves.
Wraith-Predator-Teebird-Leopard-Buzzz-Comet-Wizard
Earl
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Predator

Postby jnecessary » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:32 pm

For me the TeeRex had a bit more HSS than the Starfire X

When thrown equally hard, going for a 375'-400' hole the TeeRex basically locks on straight with a strongish fade at the end, while the Starfire X has some left to right movement before a bit less pronounced fade at the end. I would definately trust the TeeRex into the wind moreso than a Starfire
--Current bag: Yeti, Roc, Teebird, Firebird, RoadRunner, Wraith, Force, Nuke...
--My PDGA--My Trade List
grodney (IOWADG.COM) wrote:There are no righty holes, no lefty holes, no hyzer holes, no anhyzer holes. There is only skill and lack of skill.
jnecessary
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby niuvalleycane » Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:50 pm

Earl wrote:Do the Teerex and Starfire have similar flight characteristics?

Depends, I've had Ch SFX with 0 turn, Ch SFX with -1.5 turn, and now Star SFX with 0 turn, I think there was a bad (too much turn) batch of Ch SFXs, I think the SFX is a solid mod overstable driver. I've had TRXs with with little to no HSS and dependable fade, and I've had regular teerexes with more turn than a wraith, multiple mold changes so depends what gen you get. Safe bet is the Star Starfire X, I find it longer than a 0 turn Ch SFX.
niuvalleycane
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Donkeypuncher » Tue Oct 13, 2009 7:52 pm

The star starfire is definitely the better of the X mold. A 170-ish is the perfect weight for lighter winds, but I wouldn't go over 173g. Any heavier and it seems to be a pig. I stopped using mine because the pro PD has filled that slot much better for me.
200, and 40 dollars......a worth a puddin'
Donkeypuncher
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discspeed » Wed Oct 14, 2009 9:28 pm

There are new runs of champ Orcs out there that are very stiff and domey with a slight pearlescence in the otherwise clear plastic. I believe that have been molded using Innova's "stabilization process". These fly like faster Starfires with a true "0" in HSS. These are champs in the wind. Thanks to Dave D. for helping my bag stay minimalistic. If I need more beef I use an overstable Champ DF Boss (stiff and domey...perhaps "stabilized" as well).
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby DPJ88 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:57 pm

Sounds interesting.

I always carry 2 orcs:
a flat, gummy, opaque, pearly orange orc that is pretty new, doesn't get thrown as often, but is just a bomber in calmer conditions and has been a little easier to turn than my other orcs.

and I also have a domier, but still pretty flat, transparent yellow, pretty rigid, that is my work horse max D driver. It's really beat up, a couple deep gashes in the rim, but it still flies more stable than the orange pearly one. A bit more controllable max D, doesn't seem to glide AS far as the orange one.

But neither are magnificent into the wind, that is why I carry a seasoned starfire that is a TAD more stable than my yellow orc, and a new starfire that is kind of a pig with a lot of late fade. They accent each other well and cover my Max D shots in many different wind conditions, but if they have more stable orcs being produced, I may be able to phase out the starfires.
DPJ88
Tree Magnet

Postby discspeed » Thu Oct 15, 2009 6:59 pm

The nice thing about my new stiff and domey Orc is it is very HSS (same as stable starfire), but it does not have that much low speed flare.
discspeed

Postby DPJ88 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:03 pm

Nice. sounds very promising. Thanks for the info!

[edit]:

Mike Phillips. . . Forgive the totally off topic and irrelevant question, but you wouldn't happen to be the same Mike Phillips of TechPB ? I think he is from Florida..
DPJ88
Tree Magnet

Postby discspeed » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:26 pm

DPJ88 wrote:Nice. sounds very promising. Thanks for the info!

[edit]:

Mike Phillips. . . Forgive the totally off topic and irrelevant question, but you wouldn't happen to be the same Mike Phillips of TechPB ? I think he is from Florida..

If I were sponsered in another fringe sport I doubt I'd be spending this much time here. 8) Anyway, my first name is the 4th most common in the US and my last name is the 45th most common. There are lots of us out there. One of us killed a sheriff in the Tampa Bay area last year...
discspeed

Postby DPJ88 » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:30 pm

I was kind of thinking the same thing. .

But the name, and same geographical area, I figured I'd ask :P

Now I gotta find me some of those Orcs you were talking about, they sound like they would fit my bag perfectly. Unfortunately the closest place to buy discs in-store is pretty poor.

GottaGoGottaThrow is someplace around here, though I haven't found it in 3 years :lol:
DPJ88
Tree Magnet

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Oct 15, 2009 9:30 pm

discspeed wrote:
DPJ88 wrote:Nice. sounds very promising. Thanks for the info!

[edit]:

If I were sponsered in another fringe sport I doubt I'd be spending this much time here. 8) Anyway, my first name is the 4th most common in the US and my last name is the 45th most common. There are lots of us out there. One of us killed a sheriff in the Tampa Bay area last year...

It is weird you know those things about your name.

Tell me you at least had to look them up.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment