Midrange

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Midrange

Postby Granduter » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:26 am

So I am just not happy with my midrange right now, its a 169 x wasp. The plastic is getting pretty hard and I don't really care for the disc. Its been used a good bit so I know the disc, i just want something that is just a touch more finesse than a dx roc but still has the distance and resistance to turnover, what do ya'll recommend?
I have gone thru
170 dx Roc (loved it and lost it)
177 x Buzz (loved and lost)
169 x Wasp (current)
176 dx Sabre (current - not really a true midrange but it fills a void still learning it)
I just bought a stingray xout yesterday to learn the roller shot so that is also in my bag right now.
I will also be playing in an ace race so count I will have that mold as well
Granduter
Tree Magnet

Postby Fritz » Tue Sep 19, 2006 8:30 am

Try a 177+ Evolution Element and a 177+ Evolution Element X. I think you'll like those if you give them a try.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Timko » Tue Sep 19, 2006 9:46 am

The elementX really has to be thrown hard or torqued over (even though it's very easy to torque over). The E Element may just be what you're looking for. Similar to a stingray in shape, but a touch more stable (haven't thrown the star though, and I hear a lot of comparisons between the E element and star stingray now).
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:13 am

s element x would compare to the roc he loved and lost, I perfer the element x over the element because it is more predictable, and in S breaks in to be even straighter. In evo proline the element-x is pretty straight compared to the clear E plastic.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Luckyg71 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:24 am

Try a coyote. I like em.
The road goes on forever and the party never ends
Luckyg71
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:53 am

I was thinking of a spider maybe. But try a z or esp buzz. When people say finesse, it usually means less overstable. I carry z buzz for most shot, putt and use a pro d buzz for understable shots. I also carry a z wasp for when I need more stability into the wind.

I keep a demon in the car for when the wind is ridiculous.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

new mid

Postby twmccoy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:03 pm

The spider is a good suggestion, as is a Z buzz. Both of these are relatively straight flying mids with good glide. They won't flip easily either.

The MRV isn't bad, but may just be more overstable than you're looking for.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Timko » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:23 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:s element x would compare to the roc he loved and lost, I perfer the element x over the element because it is more predictable, and in S breaks in to be even straighter. In evo proline the element-x is pretty straight compared to the clear E plastic.

I'll second the comment about the elementX in the clear E plastic. That thing is a hoss! I've got one of those, and they're mad overstable. They're also very domey. I've personally got a less domey red E ELX in my bag, and will probably be adding an S ELX for the exact reason the kid listed; they break in to be super straight fliers.
It should be noted, however, that the requirement of a "finesse disc" doesn't fit the ELX in my personal opinion. If you're looking for a disc like this, the element is a better fit for you.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:57 am

try to find a domey S element x (if you talk to online store, or buy in person) the flat top ones are about as stable as a buzzz
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Re: Midrange

Postby sleepy » Wed Sep 20, 2006 5:50 pm

Granduter wrote:170 dx Roc (loved it and lost it)

Then get another one! You've already tried the best. :wink:

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Return to Equipment