Innova disc to disc variability

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Innova disc to disc variability

Postby tchamber » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:47 pm

I'm just curious if anyone else has noticed things like this, and how you deal with it. Here's my latest story on the variability inherent in innova's disc molding process.

I've been trying to throw Valks ever since I started playing disc golf about 9 months ago, with little to no success. I drive consistently 300' controlled and 325' still with decent consistency. Most of the Valks I've thrown had a domey sort of lid to them and turned pretty hard left, but I just got one from GGGT a while ago that had a flat top. This thing throws like a COMPLETELY different disc. It's a LOT faster out of the hand and super straight, after a few more rounds I can tell it will be turning over and will become a hyzer flipping dream.

How is it that there's so much variability between innova's runs? How do you deal with this? Is there anyone who has just given up on internet ordering so that you can see the shape of the disc before you buy? Also, I'm throwing ~167g drivers, is there less variability in the max weight drivers?

I've seen this quite a bit with different innova molds, but discraft's discs seem to be much more consistent between runs.
tchamber
Noob

Postby Eric O » Wed Sep 20, 2006 12:55 pm

I throw a lot of Innova and I definitely like to inspect a disc personally before buying. There is a local dealer with online ordering prices ($7-14) so that usually makes it easy for me.

Variance between runs is kind of a bitch. As far as Valks in particular I have bought three lately in star plastic between 170 and 174. I picked them out myself out of big stacks and they have all pretty much flown the same. I try to stick with the same color plastic but I don't really know if that is helping or not.
Eric O
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Solty » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:13 pm

i have an orange teerex with is less overstable then my red and pink ones....

i think it hasta do w/ the pigments and drying/cooling

m
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Rooster » Wed Sep 20, 2006 3:36 pm

each color is a seperate run. humidity changes throughout the day. put two and two together and you get diffrent colling temps for each color and there you go.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Terrence » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:45 am

I also throw (DX) Valkyries and I've noticed a difference in the flight between colors. I have one white 170 DX Valk and one yellow DX Valk. The yellow is noticibly more stable than the white. I also have a red 166 DX Valk that is nice and beat up. It'll hyzer flip so easily that those long S-curve finesse shots are a piece of cake. It just takes a few rounds to get to know your Valks, now just don't lose them! :P

I've been getting curious about the CE Valkyries lately. The prices are so ridiculous I'll probably never throw one though.
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby superq » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:08 am

I have worked with injection molders and extruders and I can tell you right now that even in a verry large factory with enviormental controls (I do not think any of our manufacturers use these controls) molding polymer is no where near an exact science. I am happy if I buy a disc that looks and feels good, If it flies well then it is a bonus.
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby garublador » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:39 am

My understanding is that all disc manufacturers have similar variations between runs. Innova sells more discs than any other, so the chances of getting two discs from the same run is lower, especally when you don't buy them at the same time. Gateway has much smaller runs, so there's also a low chance of getting two discs from the same run. Discraft has larger runs, but the discs don't sell as well so there's a higher chance of getting two discs from the same run.
garublador
Disc Whore

disc variance

Postby twmccoy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:41 pm

Innova is actually very good at making their discs fly similar from disc to disc. DX plastic seems to have the most issues with variance though. I've thrown literally hundreds of different innova DX's and have seen issues with some valks. Most will flip over and anhyzer some before fading at the end of flight. Others are more overstable and fade harder. I once found a DX archangel that flew like a champion teebird.

As for innova champion plastic, these discs are very consistent from disc to disc, although you will see the occasional one that won't fly as it should.

Discraft seems to have far more issues with variances in discs. I've thrown lots of most models of their drivers and seen this.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Return to Equipment