Voodoo Practitioners?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Voodoo Practitioners?

Postby discspeed » Mon May 18, 2009 7:43 am

I've went through many putters in my days of DG. I've had a pattern of this: Find a new putter and get really excited, practice a lot, and see a boost in putting...Get bored over time, go through a slump, and switch.

I'm now going on my 8th month with my Organic Voodoo, and I cannot see myself switching again. I love this putter, and the more it breaks in, the better it gets. It is so straight and comes out of my hand so cleanly that I'm putting better than I ever have. During my tournament last weekend I was making crazy putts in the wind, through gaps, running everything from 60-70', making a couple and never going more than 15' past...This disc is amazing. I also use it for almost every approach shot from 200' and in, and I let it float then drop and I always feel like it gives me a chance and lands by the basket. My approach/putt has never been better and my DG game never more consistent.

I know there are some more Voodoo lovers out there, so here is your chance to sound off.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: Voodoo Practitioners?

Postby some call me...tim? » Mon May 18, 2009 8:35 am

I haven't gotten a chance to try one yet, but I'd be interested to. I love my wizards, but if a small bead version is anything like a worked in wiz, I think I'd like it.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby spitfire » Mon May 18, 2009 8:42 am

I threw bangers for the most part of a year, went to Wizards and thought they were good but i just couldn't get that consistent with them. Part of that was my stance as well. I tried the Warlock too but just wasn't for me. I quickly went to the Voodoo when it came out and have not switched back. Putting the best I ever have. I was using SSS but picked up a SS from an Ice Bowl and use that as my primary now and recently picked up a E Voodoo for drives and approaches and it is awesome. If you don't have one get one good addition to the bag.
spitfire
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: pro wraith

Postby BLURR » Mon May 18, 2009 8:45 am

The Voodoo went in my bag as my main putter this year. My wizards have been limited to driving use. I have to say that I am very impressed so far with the Voodoo's. Once broken in, these babies are even better than wizards. I am definitely glad that I made the switch. Soft Voodoo's are pure money. I might have to try an Organic one someday soon as well.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby victorb » Mon May 18, 2009 8:46 am

Consider me to be sounding off :)

I have not stopped preaching the same things discspeed has since I started using the voodoo. It's stable enough to use when it's windy, but not so overstable that putting seems "forced". I'd like to add more than that, but discspeed has pretty much hit the nail on the head.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discspeed » Mon May 18, 2009 8:47 am

spitfire wrote:I threw bangers for the most part of a year, went to Wizards and thought they were good but i just couldn't get that consistent with them. Part of that was my stance as well. I tried the Warlock too but just wasn't for me. I quickly went to the Voodoo when it came out and have not switched back. Putting the best I ever have. I was using SSS but picked up a SS from an Ice Bowl and use that as my primary now and recently picked up a E Voodoo for drives and approaches and it is awesome. If you don't have one get one good addition to the bag.

I have E Voodoos, but I drive with M Wizards. The E Voodoo feels and flies like a completely different disc than the organic ones. My Voodoo is a very consistent disc around 200' and in. I don't like to throw it harder than that. I use my Wizard outside of that or in wind.
discspeed

Postby black udder » Mon May 18, 2009 10:00 am

Seems that the voodoo holds a line a bit better than my wizard, which wants to fade faster. I've thrown a few drives or up shots with it and people have commented how nice it flies.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby emiller3 » Mon May 18, 2009 10:07 am

Do you guys find that the S-Series Voodoo's are consistently made? I'm a little discouraged with my Wizards, I never know if they're going to be warped when I get them, and sometimes the softs I get are closer to medium (which I like), other times their closer to SS or SSS, I just never know. I'm also having a hard time finding S-Series mediums in the weight that I like.
Trades | Bag | Drives | KC Aviar - Roc - Eagle - Monster - Valk - Destroyer
emiller3
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Jerrod » Mon May 18, 2009 10:45 am

I also have been throwing the Voodoo since release and I love it. I still drive with Wizards but I simply cannot putt as consistently with them. I have tried switching back to Wizards twice and my putting drops every time. Honestly I think if my form was a bit cleaner I could probably drive with the Voodoo as well but I can't control my OAT enough yet. I throw organics for putts and softs for upshots. I think Gateways organic is my favorite plastic to date. Nice and stiff but with the traction of a gummy plastic. Water and dirt don't seem to have much effect on organic.
Coyote Point Local
Jerrod
Tree Magnet

Postby Jaysus » Mon May 18, 2009 10:53 am

I am carrying two Voodoos now (no more Wizard)... a SS Ice Bowl one for Putting, and a sweet M one for driving and longer approaches. I'm a fan.

I love trying to air out the Medium one...
Jaysus
1000 Rated Poster

Postby BLURR » Mon May 18, 2009 11:07 am

emiller3 wrote:Do you guys find that the S-Series Voodoo's are consistently made? I'm a little discouraged with my Wizards, I never know if they're going to be warped when I get them, and sometimes the softs I get are closer to medium (which I like), other times their closer to SS or SSS, I just never know. I'm also having a hard time finding S-Series mediums in the weight that I like.

I think that they are more consistenly made. I have a handful of softs that are almost all identical. I have a handful of mediums that are all identical as well. But I have noticed that there is a bit of a difference between the plastic flexibilities.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby dvlcek » Mon May 18, 2009 11:08 am

Why don't you Voodoo lovers take the four I have for trade off my hands. :)
dvlcek
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Piranha

Postby Jeronimo » Mon May 18, 2009 12:42 pm

Something I've noticed with the voodoo's is that they have a suprising amount of glide. I remember making a 15ft putt and a decent headwind picked it up and threw it right up and over the top of the basket. Rolls like a bastard if its spinning and lands the right way. Other than that, I love this thing!
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby discspeed » Mon May 18, 2009 1:24 pm

Jeronimo wrote:Something I've noticed with the voodoo's is that they have a suprising amount of glide. I remember making a 15ft putt and a decent headwind picked it up and threw it right up and over the top of the basket. Rolls like a bastard if its spinning and lands the right way. Other than that, I love this thing!

I've certainly experienced this as well and you must keep the Voodoo's nose down in the wind or this can be very problematic. I sometimes use my Medium Wizard into strong headwinds for peace of mind. The Wizard cannot float slow and straight to the basket like the Voodoo in calm conditions though.
discspeed

Postby JimW » Mon May 18, 2009 2:21 pm

I started using Wizards for putting recently and picked up a Voodoo as well in trade. I think I like the way the Voodoo feels in my putting grip a bit better, the beadless rim makes my index finger hook a bit more comfortable and allows for a slightly cleaner release. I only started getting serious about working on putting a few days ago though and trying to develop a consistent form so there isn't really any difference yet for me between the two discs, both release well enough that it doesn't seem to affect my make chance. I've been using the Wizard during rounds more simply because with 3 Wizards and 1 Voodoo more of my practice putts are with the Wizard so my familiarity is higher.

I do like the Voodoo a lot though and once I'm making better putts and from longer distances I think it may take over. I'd be happy to trade for some of dvlcek's Voodoos if he wanted stuff I had available for trade. :)
discspeed wrote:We're not owls

The core of my game is throwing pink stuff really straight
JimW
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Whatever

Next

Return to Equipment