Voodoo Practitioners?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Voodoo Practitioners?

Postby what'shisname » Tue Aug 25, 2009 7:59 pm

I've got two in the bag at the moment as well, one's a bit softer than the other but they were both sweet to me today for a practice 9 holes I squeezed in. I threw my trusty wizard today too with much less success. I'd never really tried to flick one before today but I managed to nail a nice 15' flick putt leaning out from under a tree today. Tried it again with the stiffer one and hit metal. Even managed a couple very nice putter drives with them for easy birdies on a nice down hill 250', whereas before I'd always turn them over.

They'll definitely be staying in the bag a while longer. :mrgreen:
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby discspeed » Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:20 pm

A short time ago I switched out my driving Wizards/Warlocks for a minimalistic all-Voodoo setup. I was skeptical about the whole single putter mold theory, but I feel like I'm already seeing the benefits. Not only did I switch to all Voodoos, but I also went from carrying 4 putter discs to 2. Now I throw my actual putter(proto organic) if I want a little less stability and my stiff proto-Voodoo if I want a little more stability. Both are pretty straight, but the softer putter floats more and the stiff is better in the wind and will pull out of a turn. So far I can say that my releases have been cleaner and my lines truer. I seem to be shanking less, but that is most often due to something else entirely. I can definitely say that I haven't missed my other putters. I can also say that the Voodoo is the most badass putter for my style that I have ever thrown. Whether putting or driving it has the best ratio of HSS to LSS of anything out there. No turn, no fade. Hyzers and anhyzers fly pure as well. The turn is slightly faster than a Wizard, but much slower than a Warlock or Magic (or even a beat KC Pro Aviar). The closest thing I've thrown to a Voodoo was an old 9x KC Aviar that was worn almost round on the bottom. It flew like my Voodoo for putting and shots up to 150', but longer than that and it was flipping.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby discspeed » Fri Oct 09, 2009 7:52 pm

discspeed wrote:A short time ago I switched out my driving Wizards/Warlocks for a minimalistic all-Voodoo setup. I was skeptical about the whole single putter mold theory, but I feel like I'm already seeing the benefits. Not only did I switch to all Voodoos, but I also went from carrying 4 putter discs to 2. Now I throw my actual putter(proto organic) if I want a little less stability and my stiff proto-Voodoo if I want a little more stability. Both are pretty straight, but the softer putter floats more and the stiff is better in the wind and will pull out of a turn. So far I can say that my releases have been cleaner and my lines truer. I seem to be shanking less, but that is most often due to something else entirely. I can definitely say that I haven't missed my other putters. I can also say that the Voodoo is the most badass putter for my style that I have ever thrown. Whether putting or driving it has the best ratio of HSS to LSS of anything out there. No turn, no fade. Hyzers and anhyzers fly pure as well. The turn is slightly faster than a Wizard, but much slower than a Warlock or Magic (or even a beat KC Pro Aviar). The closest thing I've thrown to a Voodoo was an old 9x KC Aviar that was worn almost round on the bottom. It flew like my Voodoo for putting and shots up to 150', but longer than that and it was flipping.

This setup is paying dividends all ready. I'm sold on the single putter mold theory now. My releases have been cleaner and my short game has never been better. I'm doing almost all my driving with my proto Voodoo (which I bought a year ago this month). It is very straight like a Buzzz and I can throw it on any reasonable putter line 100'-300'. Not only this, but I am throwing it much more consistently than I was throwing my 3 different molds before. The cleaner releases also mean that I can throw my Voodoo in more wind than I was comfortable throwing the Wizard in. What a great mold.
discspeed

Postby JR » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:00 pm

discspeed wrote:
discspeed wrote:A short time ago I switched out my driving Wizards/Warlocks for a minimalistic all-Voodoo setup. I was skeptical about the whole single putter mold theory, but I feel like I'm already seeing the benefits. Not only did I switch to all Voodoos, but I also went from carrying 4 putter discs to 2. Now I throw my actual putter(proto organic) if I want a little less stability and my stiff proto-Voodoo if I want a little more stability. Both are pretty straight, but the softer putter floats more and the stiff is better in the wind and will pull out of a turn. So far I can say that my releases have been cleaner and my lines truer. I seem to be shanking less, but that is most often due to something else entirely. I can definitely say that I haven't missed my other putters. I can also say that the Voodoo is the most badass putter for my style that I have ever thrown. Whether putting or driving it has the best ratio of HSS to LSS of anything out there. No turn, no fade. Hyzers and anhyzers fly pure as well. The turn is slightly faster than a Wizard, but much slower than a Warlock or Magic (or even a beat KC Pro Aviar). The closest thing I've thrown to a Voodoo was an old 9x KC Aviar that was worn almost round on the bottom. It flew like my Voodoo for putting and shots up to 150', but longer than that and it was flipping.

This setup is paying dividends all ready. I'm sold on the single putter mold theory now. My releases have been cleaner and my short game has never been better. I'm doing almost all my driving with my proto Voodoo (which I bought a year ago this month). It is very straight like a Buzzz and I can throw it on any reasonable putter line 100'-300'. Not only this, but I am throwing it much more consistently than I was throwing my 3 different molds before. The cleaner releases also mean that I can throw my Voodoo in more wind than I was comfortable throwing the Wizard in. What a great mold.

Does the Voodoo fit in your hand better than other molds and do you feel more wight on the rim to nose area both still and throwing like I do? For me the disc sits tighter in the hand due to the shape and feel of mass. Not sure if it's actual mass that makes the feeling or weight distribution closer to the nose than usual due to bluntness and height or what. I have only a few throws with my new soft Voodoo so I can't yet tell how it flies for me on drives. Mine is a soft 175 S plastic.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby black udder » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:20 pm

I've gone on and off on this, but am throwing them again now. I have one for putts outside 30' (I find it flatter longer) and I have one for driving. I still have my wizard as well, but I'm finding that the only thing this doesn't do well for me is flat drives into a head wind. It'll hold a hyzer great into a head wind though. I think some more practice and it'll do even more for me. Have to admit, one of the things I like most is the smooth feeling rim.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby discspeed » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:23 pm

JR wrote:Does the Voodoo fit in your hand better than other molds and do you feel more wight on the rim to nose area both still and throwing like I do? For me the disc sits tighter in the hand due to the shape and feel of mass. Not sure if it's actual mass that makes the feeling or weight distribution closer to the nose than usual due to bluntness and height or what. I have only a few throws with my new soft Voodoo so I can't yet tell how it flies for me on drives. Mine is a soft 175 S plastic.

Yes, I really like the way the Voodoo fits in my hand. The fat, rounded nose really fills my hand and gives a comfortable grip. I also think that the Voodoo has a lot of mass distributed to the outside of the disc making it even more gyroscopic than the Wizard. This helps it hold its spin longer which translates into a longer glide, later fade, and overall straighter flight.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Fri Oct 09, 2009 8:25 pm

black udder wrote:I've gone on and off on this, but am throwing them again now. I have one for putts outside 30' (I find it flatter longer) and I have one for driving. I still have my wizard as well, but I'm finding that the only thing this doesn't do well for me is flat drives into a head wind. It'll hold a hyzer great into a head wind though. I think some more practice and it'll do even more for me. Have to admit, one of the things I like most is the smooth feeling rim.

I had the same problem until I totally committed to the Voodoo. Last weekend I parked a short hole into a headwind coming off a lake with my Voodoo. Its all a matter of starting it with the right amount of hyzer and powering it smooth and clean. My proto is pretty stiff and this helps in the wind as well.
discspeed

Postby black udder » Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:29 pm

see, now what I need is a run of the first run or organic voodoos run with Mark's Mukwanaghoul tourney stamp.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby discspeed » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:11 pm

I'll rekindle this bad boy since someone else brought it up. I'm still loving my Voodoos. I've got 2 in my bag and they are my only putter mold. I have an organic prototype and a white proto that feels exactly like KC pro plastic. The organic is my putter, the other my driver. The driver has gotten softer and grippier with more use, so by the time my putter is too broken in I will probably putt with the proto. I've got one backup proto, 9 backup organics.

I've putted with this now for as long as anything except the wizard. I don't see myself ever switching. It is perfect for my slightly nose up, dead straight, up and down putting style. I've learned to throw it quite well too. I've never putted as well with anything else. I think the thing I like the most about it is the grip/feel. The rounded sides feel so comfortable in my hand and it comes out cleaner than anything else.
discspeed

Postby black udder » Thu Nov 05, 2009 9:27 pm

I've got a white first run and an organic. It's funny, Jimmy Necessary swung by VA for a round and his organic wizard is much softer/grippier than my organic voodoo which feels a lot like a medium or firm to the touch.

I still carry my warlock for short putts (ok, I carry it as a good luck charm) and I drive with the white first run all the time. I agree that it holds up well in wind, it's just figuring out the hyzer. It's not really great at throwing flat because if you put just a skooch of anhyzer on it, it goes that way fast. It's really meant for slight hyzer or heavy hyzer shots and excels at those.

I think the wizard handles that bit of anhyzer with intended flat release better due to it's stability, but I'm not going back to them.

What I need is a run of glow voodoos or organics with the Mukwanaghoul stamp... MarkB???? how about it?
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby discspeed » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:05 am

black udder wrote: I agree that it holds up well in wind, it's just figuring out the hyzer. It's not really great at throwing flat because if you put just a skooch of anhyzer on it, it goes that way fast. It's really meant for slight hyzer or heavy hyzer shots and excels at those.

I think the wizard handles that bit of anhyzer with intended flat release better due to it's stability, but I'm not going back to them.

Why would you put a touch of anny when throwing flat...perhaps because that's what the Wizard teachs you to do. I haven't thrown overstable putters for some time and now I'm much more likely to do the opposite...put a touch of hyzer when I intend flat, which is more forgiving. Anyway, the Voodoo is at its best as an approach disc when broken in so that a touch of hyzer flattens out and glides. It flies on frozen ropes like this, yet slow and with a lot of float. The Voodoo stays slow as it breaks in as well, where Wizards get faster as the bead wears off and the flight plate sinks in. As I shared with a curious person via pm, the Voodoo doesn't seem to clover like Wizards/Warlocks.
Last edited by discspeed on Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
discspeed

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Nov 06, 2009 10:08 am

discspeed wrote:The Voodoo stays slow as it breaks in as well, where Wizards get faster as the bead wears off and the flight plate sinks in. As I shared with a curious person via pm, the Voodoo does seem to clover like Wizards/Warlocks.

I hadn't really thought about this with regards to wizards. I am trying to recall my impressions on the course and want to disagree with you but I am afraid my memories are going to biased. I am pay attention to this when throwing my new wizards vs my beat ones.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby black udder » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:10 pm

discspeed wrote:
black udder wrote: I agree that it holds up well in wind, it's just figuring out the hyzer. It's not really great at throwing flat because if you put just a skooch of anhyzer on it, it goes that way fast. It's really meant for slight hyzer or heavy hyzer shots and excels at those.

Why would you put a touch of anny when throwing flat...

Not intending too... I was saying that was about the only downside. I have shots where I will try and throw it with barely any hyzer and if I'm off, I'll throw it with a touch of anhyzer, or if I try and open my wrist and turn it over a bit... you know? That's when a wizard will hold better, but the voodoo is just gone. It's totally a screw up on my behalf. Doesn't stop me from throwing them, but it does stop me from practicing shots next to a corn field :P
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Postby discspeed » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:35 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:
discspeed wrote:The Voodoo stays slow as it breaks in as well, where Wizards get faster as the bead wears off and the flight plate sinks in. As I shared with a curious person via pm, the Voodoo doesn't seem to clover like Wizards/Warlocks.

I hadn't really thought about this with regards to wizards. I am trying to recall my impressions on the course and want to disagree with you but I am afraid my memories are going to biased. I am pay attention to this when throwing my new wizards vs my beat ones.

Its simply intuitive. Its the same way with Rocs...part of the reason broken in ones glide better.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Wed Nov 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Upon Blake's recommendation I tried some lighter Voodoos and I really like them. I'm now doing most my putting and approaches with a 172 SS Voodoo and my Organics are drivers/long approach discs. It just seems to float much better and gives me extra distance without changing my form. It also gives me more touch on my approach shots. I used to hit the front of the basket a lot from 30', but today I was putting them in like 20 footers.
discspeed

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment