Voodoo Practitioners?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Voodoo Practitioners?

Postby dgdave » Wed Nov 11, 2009 7:05 pm

I switched to 172g putters earlier this year with the VPs and I really like the switch. I picked up some Magnets and they are max and they drop hard, which is nice sometimes. I have some 170-172 on the way.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Bangrrr Bob » Wed Nov 11, 2009 8:14 pm

I'm lovin' this thread. Just put the voodoo trifecta in the bag (S, SS and Clear Evo with DD dye) and I think I'm gonna make them stick. Still have my Zone for those FH approaches/trick shots/gale force wind shots (required in Kansas.....)
Focus, Meteor, Buzzz, Stalker, Nuke, Pred....
Bangrrr Bob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Soft Focus

Postby discspeed » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:33 pm

discspeed wrote:Upon Blake's recommendation I tried some lighter Voodoos and I really like them. I'm now doing most my putting and approaches with a 172 SS Voodoo and my Organics are drivers/long approach discs. It just seems to float much better and gives me extra distance without changing my form. It also gives me more touch on my approach shots. I used to hit the front of the basket a lot from 30', but today I was putting them in like 20 footers.

After a short time putting with these I was really losing touch, so I've went back to my original putter. This has been the best putter I've ever used and I felt it was just messing me up too much to switch around and make decisions about what to putt with. I'm back to my broken in 174g organic Voodoo for all my putting and short approaching with a fresh 175 organic for longer approaches/drives/wind. If its not broken, don't mess with it...
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby optowesome » Sun Nov 22, 2009 11:14 pm

I have been throwing Voodoos for a year now. I just picked up a CE today and liked it. I also got a dinner plate medium that I plan to beat in(not going anywhere for a while). I like my First Run S for my putting. The putting is fine(mostly me sucking at it), but the driving is fantastic. I throw them on all holes under 280 and many holes up to 300+. They are straight with a little wear, but to not have a hard to control turn when beat. Digging the driving. If only I could putt.
optowesome
Tree Magnet

Postby what'shisname » Mon Nov 23, 2009 11:55 am

I'm fully vested with the Voodoo's now after acquiring a stack of 8 of them in various plastics for practice. I'm still keep one Wizard in the bag but I find I'm going to it less and less as I get comfy driving the Voodoo. I've got a beat up SSS one for putting and a stiff Organic one that I use for drives. Loving them.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby BLURR » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:16 pm

I put my first run soft's back in the bag for my main putter. I had a short stint with my challengers, but the voodoo is just a better fit for me. And I agree with DGDave on the putter weight. 172 seems to be just right.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Jerrod » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:28 pm

Bangrrr Bob wrote:I'm lovin' this thread. Just put the voodoo trifecta in the bag (S, SS and Clear Evo with DD dye) and I think I'm gonna make them stick. Still have my Zone for those FH approaches/trick shots/gale force wind shots (required in Kansas.....)

What are you using the clear Evo for?
Coyote Point Local
Jerrod
Tree Magnet

Postby JHern » Mon Nov 23, 2009 10:24 pm

I just picked up a Soft Voodoo today before a round of 18. Awesome disc. It has a soft feel, but it isn't a floppy disc. Perfect, this is what a "soft" putter should be like. I can see why people love these Gateway putters so much. I can't wait to see how it will fly when beat a little.

The most amazing thing to me was how this disc just floats in the air, even at very low speeds, with no fade. Simply incredible. I threw it on many different lines to test it out. I threw it first 250 ft on a heavily wooded hole and I noticed that it has a tendency to flip flat and track slightly to the right. I birdied the hole. I later threw it straight on a slight downhill grade for about 300 ft. It really has superb glide, and doesn't budge a micron from its track once it hits a line. What I also loved is how well it floats on hyzers, even thrown slow at short ranges. Its like watching a higher speed hyzer throw in slow motion. I tried several turn-over like shots on right-turning fairways, and I quickly learned that I don't need to give it a lot of anhyzer release to get it started on a slow left->right downward glide...just give it altitude and let it turn slightly, and it does the rest. I played with adding OAT, but didn't get any consistent results...probably not important anyways for this disc.

And the best part is how perfect it feels in my hand, almost like it were exclusively designed for perfect rim feel, even though it flies with great beauty.

I got a new putter! Yeah! Now I just need to practice with it more...I feel like this disc alone will get me to 70-80% within the circle.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby what'shisname » Wed Nov 25, 2009 7:11 pm

I got a beat up First Run SSS Black Voodoo from Frank Delicious this week and god damn have I been loving it. Flies like it's on a frozen rope. :mrgreen:
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discspeed » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:50 pm

Today I tested out a pepto bismo pink 174g E Voodoo. It was very nice in the wind and all around longer and more stable than my putters. I like it much better than the CE. I'm not sure if it will end up making the bag, but for now its going to get some more throws.
discspeed

Postby discspeed » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:21 pm

discspeed wrote:Today I tested out a pepto bismo pink 174g E Voodoo. It was very nice in the wind and all around longer and more stable than my putters. I like it much better than the CE. I'm not sure if it will end up making the bag, but for now its going to get some more throws.

I threw this disc some more today and its just kind of meh...I don't think its going to make the bag. It does not really do anything that I can't do with something else I carry. Compared to my S Voodoos is has a higher cruising speed without having enough more HSS to make it worth it.
discspeed

Postby marmoset » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:28 pm

Sooo...
Are you Voodoo-heads using only Voodoos or are you throwing another putter mold in certain situations?
I read that Discspeed is a one putter mold guy and that Black Udder uses a Warlock or Wizard for driving. Anyone else?
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby what'shisname » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:43 pm

I've cut down to just voodoos. I usually carry 3 or 4 of them, 1 stiff, one super beat and another random one or two for practice.

I was carrying a wizard for touch shots and drives, but I started throwing a voodoo as a 2nd funsie shot every time I threw the wiz and found I could get it to do the same thing anyway, so dropped the wizard all together.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Postby black udder » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:10 pm

marmoset wrote:I read that Discspeed is a one putter mold guy and that Black Udder uses a Warlock or Wizard for driving. Anyone else?

I'm down to Voodoos for everything but short approaches or short anhyzers (around 180' or less). For that I use a super soft magnet. A voodoo would work, but I don't have one worn in that much yet.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby discspeed » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:43 pm

Unfortunately I lost my beat putter that I've been using for a year up in some vines last week. I replaced it with a softer one that I'm trying to bend/flex into flipping for me a little. Its not hard to get a Voodoo to hold an anny anyway.
discspeed

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment