What is KC plastic?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

What is KC plastic?

Postby the invisible tree » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:20 pm

It seems that it ranges from very close to dx in texture and apperance (11x Roc), to somewhat opaque and gummy (11x Cheetah), to same as champion (http://www.bearclaws.org/discpix/sweet/7.JPG). Is there such a thing as a KC Teebird in plastic similar to the 11x Roc or Cheetah?
the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby trogdor » Wed Sep 20, 2006 1:46 pm

KC = Ken Climo

In Rocs and Whippets, it's very hard (stiff) compared to DX.
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Re: What is KC plastic?

Postby Fritz » Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:43 pm

the invisible tree wrote:Is there such a thing as a KC Teebird in plastic similar to the 11x Roc or Cheetah?

Yes, I had a KC Pro Teebird but lost it :( It was nice too. Also had a KC Pro Gazelle but it didn't fly as good as the DX version.
It's almost like champion plastic but not as hard.
FRITZ
Team Millennium
Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw MILLENNIUM.
#26702 ♦ CE Omega ♦ Omega SS ♦ QMS ♦ Q Sentinel ♦ CE JLS ♦ Q Polaris ♦ Q Astra ♦ QOLS ♦ QOLF ♦ Q Quasar ♦ CE Exp-1
Fritz
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Terrence » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:34 am

All of the KC versions of discs are slightly different than their DX counterparts. My buddy found a KC Pro Gazelle and it's a weird milky pearlescent kinda Champion plastic. Not at all similar to the rock hard opaque KC Roc & KC Aviar plastic.

I believe they called the Champ Teebird the KC Pro Teebird at first becauce they weren't sure what too call the new Champion line or something like that.
DX Teebird - Star Teebird - Pro Wraith - 4X JK Pro Valkyrie - 150g ESP Flick - DGA Tsunami
1st Run Star Cro - 5 bar stamp DX Rocs - 2004 Champ Roc
3 DX Aviars - KC Pro Aviar
Terrence
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DX Roc

Postby Timko » Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:14 pm

If you go back to some of the 10x plastic, you can find teebirds in a "taffy" blend of CE and SE plastic. Personally, a bit overpriced for me (I sold about 10 of these over the past year), but they're great feeling discs, and the most similar to the KC blend.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby the invisible tree » Thu Sep 21, 2006 3:41 pm

the invisible tree
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: eagle

Postby Jones » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:35 pm

A Teebird in the current KC plastic would be pretty sweet. I'm sure it would fly very similar to a regular DX Teebird with some added durability. I wonder why they haven't run that.
Jones
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Wizard

teebird

Postby twmccoy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:54 pm

Jones wrote:A Teebird in the current KC plastic would be pretty sweet. I'm sure it would fly very similar to a regular DX Teebird with some added durability. I wonder why they haven't run that.

You mean that stuff like whippets and rocs are made of? That plastic seems like DX. I have some 11X KC pro teebirds that are champion plastic.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Timko » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:13 pm

Jones wrote:A Teebird in the current KC plastic would be pretty sweet. I'm sure it would fly very similar to a regular DX Teebird with some added durability. I wonder why they haven't run that.

I don't why they haven't in the past, but Dave has mentioned problems with the current kc material used in rocs and aviars. I'd love to see some sort of enhanced DX for the kc teebirds, as I love the dx teebird.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby swel304 » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:13 pm

My kc roc is grippy like dx but very stiff. I have a kc eagle (champion) that seems like a normal ce on the flight plate but has a very stiff rim, nice disc but I cant seem to get it broke in to save my life.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Jones » Thu Sep 21, 2006 10:43 pm

I have a few of the old pro line/kc pro champion like plastic. Most seem like the first blends champion plastic except an opaque KC Pro Gazelle which isn't as durable as the rest. It resembles more like the 10x discs. I like the newer KC Pro plastic as it does beat in slowly and has a pretty decent grip to it.

I dig the 11x rocs and aviars, mine have lasted a long time with some serious punishment. I don't throw whippets but I would definately stuff my bag full of Teebirds in that material. I might even make some makeshift hubcaps with them.

My hands sweat quite a bit and a lot of time I have trouble gripping Z and champion plastic, so DX like plastic works the best for me. I have an E Sabre that is extremely grippy and tough; too bad all of my discs aren't made of that stuff.
Jones
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby didihitatree » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:12 pm

Are 8x Ken Climo Cheetah's one of those crazily high-priced discs?

I threw a really, really bad shot off the tee last week and as I was looking for it I found this disc. It's really chewed up. I threw it and it turns right like a champ. It's the first disc I've been able to throw a consistent hyzer flip with (and man, is that an awesome shot in a lot of situations!).

Anyway, there's what I think is a phone number but the last two digits are rubbed out. I'm not a hero, man. If a number's on a disc I'll return it, but I'm not going to bug possibly 99 people to get return a disc.... OTOH if this is one of those $30 discs I'll try and at least ask around at the course.

PS. If your name is Rob K____c?____k? I have your disc. You probably know where you lost it, and if you let me know it's all yours.
didihitatree
Noob

Postby Weebl » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:37 am

I like the grip of the 10x KC plastic on Aviars and Rocs and its more durabie than current production 11x. 8x Rocs are the extravegantly priced discs, any disc in 8x plastic when new will probably fetch $20 at least though. Search e-bay to see prices for the 8x cheetahs and check the prices on them. All in all, I'm going to Blake's ideology of not getting attatched to certain plastic/runs unless I can bulk up on them for retail price.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby didihitatree » Sun Sep 24, 2006 1:04 am

I only found one 8x Cheetah on eBay, and it was $30. But it had also never been thrown and was some sort of special run for a tournament or something. So I'm assuming they really aren't that valuable (unless of course it was someone's favorite disc which always sucks to lose).

I agree with the "don't get too attached to plastic" theory, although wasn't part of that school of thought also "if you DO find something you like, buy a dozen of them so you don't have to switch?"

I wouldn't say I'm overly attached to this Cheetah, but it's been quite valuable to me the past two weeks. It's beat up and understable and has really helped me figure out the hyzer flip.

If no one claims it, I think I'll keep it another couple of weeks and hopefully master that shot. Then I'll put it back where I found it and hope Ray K____c___k finds it, or maybe it will help someone will pick it up and it helps them as much as it's helped me.
didihitatree
Noob

Return to Equipment