ESP Cyclone - home for wayward gazelle throwers

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: ESP Cyclone

Postby cmlasley » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:47 pm

Thank you for the review. Sounds like a quality offering from Discraft, and the opening salvo in the fairway driver arms race. The descriptions remind me of some of my old E Sabres. Let the wars begin.
Morgan Lasley
When life gives you lemons, stick them in the freezer for a few hours, then throw them back, 'cause they're like rocks, man.
cmlasley
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: OK Computer

Postby sunspot » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:26 pm

Banzai, you got me interested.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby Banzai » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:24 pm

Sunspot, Dgdave, et al. If you're interested, you should buy one. If you don't like it, trade it to me. :) I'm really interested to hear others' opinions since I haven't ever thrown the TP cyclones.

I went out with this thing again today and was just loving it. But I'm just comparing it to my Gazelles, Teebirds, and one D Cyclone. We need one of you plastic hoarders to review it.
ridge | roc | river | pd
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby domromer » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:27 pm

How is it compared to a Gazelle? Is it a hard run of Esp or the softer more gummy kind?
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Banzai » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:06 pm

Softer run, not stiff. Flexy flight plate, but the rim is solid. Not the super durable stuff, but still more durable than Pro D!

Compared to a new DX gazelle, I'd say slightly less HSS and a tad more LSS. It's larger diameter than a Gazelle, and a deeper rim, so it feels a bit slower... the gazelle is a little longer for me. Basically, it'll turn from a bit of hyzer up to flat, whereas a new Gazelle wouldn't as much.

Compared to a KC Gazelle, it's a whole different world. The KC Gazelles I've thrown (only 3 of them) were really beefy. Think of the difference between a new 11x Ch. Teebird and a Dx Teebird; that's basically what KC Gazelles are like compared to DX Gazelles. The ESP Cyclone is not like that at all.

IMHO, it serves as a great premium plastic disc to complement the same mold in Pro D. At one point or other, I was throwing DX and Ch. Teebird, KC Gazelle and DX Gazelles. This is just much more readily available than the KC Gazelle (and better -- less glideless meathookery!). I find Cyclones more forgiving (and more versatile) than Teebirds.
ridge | roc | river | pd
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Working Stiff » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:15 pm

Banzai wrote:Softer run, not stiff. Flexy flight plate, but the rim is solid. Not the super durable stuff, but still more durable than Pro D!

Compared to a new DX gazelle, I'd say slightly less HSS and a tad more LSS. It's larger diameter than a Gazelle, and a deeper rim, so it feels a bit slower... the gazelle is a little longer for me. Basically, it'll turn from a bit of hyzer up to flat, whereas a new Gazelle wouldn't as much.

Compared to a KC Gazelle, it's a whole different world. The KC Gazelles I've thrown (only 3 of them) were really beefy. Think of the difference between a new 11x Ch. Teebird and a Dx Teebird; that's basically what KC Gazelles are like compared to DX Gazelles. The ESP Cyclone is not like that at all.

IMHO, it serves as a great premium plastic disc to complement the same mold in Pro D. At one point or other, I was throwing DX and Ch. Teebird, KC Gazelle and DX Gazelles. This is just much more readily available than the KC Gazelle (and better -- less glideless meathookery!). I find Cyclones more forgiving (and more versatile) than Teebirds.
Sounds a lot like a TP Cyclone. I HAVE to get some!
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby black udder » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:30 pm

Know how it compares to the ESP XL?
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby eg37167 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:47 pm

Dang! Now I want one and I head out for vacation Wed. Guess they will all be gone by then, they way ordering spikes after a favorable DGR notice... :lol:
eg37167
Tree Magnet

Postby Banzai » Mon Jun 08, 2009 1:50 pm

black udder wrote:Know how it compares to the ESP XL?

Sorry, never thrown one.
ridge | roc | river | pd
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Postby dgdave » Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:21 pm

The more I think about it, the more I think I don't need thid. I like more unversatile discs (teebirds, comets, etc.)
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby Luke » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:13 pm

dgdave wrote:The more I think about it, the more I think I don't need thid. I like more unversatile discs (teebirds, comets, etc.)

That's where I'm at.
Luke
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Banzai » Mon Jun 08, 2009 3:29 pm

Comets are unversatile?
ridge | roc | river | pd
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Postby marmoset » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:11 pm

Banzai wrote:Comets are unversatile?

Compared to other mids, yes.
They like straight, gradual hyzers, gradual anhyzers. The Comet isn't the best for anything that requires it to come out of a steeper anny, an abrupt turn, or harsher fade.
Having said that, I still think they are great discs. I just carry a Roc with me for the shots that I don't think will suit the Comet.
Golf is a lot of walking, broken up by disappointment and bad arithmetic. ~Author Unknown
marmoset
King of Calipers

Postby rusch_bag » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:56 am

My buddy just got an ace on his first throw with his new esp cyclone on the first throw of the day.
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:19 pm

dgdave wrote:The more I think about it, the more I think I don't need thid. I like more unversatile discs (teebirds, comets, etc.)
Good. More for me! :P
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment