ESP Cyclone - home for wayward gazelle throwers

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: ESP Cyclone - home for wayward gazelle throwers

Postby josser » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:16 pm

So the flat ones are more HSS than the domey ones?
Rattler - Pure - Jokeri || Fuse - Roc || Gazelle - xXx || PD - Pred || Wraith

Often found in the bag as well: ZXS (thumbers), S-TD, QOLF instead of S-PD, Flow (still trying it out)

My trades
josser
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Ryan C » Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:09 pm

My domey ones are quite a bit more stable than my flat ones, but that might vary by run.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby discspeed » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:44 am

Ryan C wrote:My domey ones are quite a bit more stable than my flat ones, but that might vary by run.

I agree. I just got some flat, heavy, and stiff orange ones and they are less stable out of the box than my domey greens.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby JHern » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:04 am

discspeed wrote:
Ryan C wrote:My domey ones are quite a bit more stable than my flat ones, but that might vary by run.

I agree. I just got some flat, heavy, and stiff orange ones and they are less stable out of the box than my domey greens.

However, what you call "flat" is actually extremely domey. What you call "domey" is super-extra domey. Your relative scale of domey-ness is not accounting for some of the older ESP Cyclone molds, whose tops were so flat that they bear absolutely no resemblance to the ESP Cyclones that you are throwing now. Their plastic was more rigid and dense, but also slightly more tacky. We own two of the older ultra-flat Cyclones (one of them is my 1st Ace disc) and they are vastly more stable than the ones I recently got from your store. So stable that when new they could flex out of steep (greater than 45 degrees) anhyzer turn-over shots throw hard with OAT.

I'm now convinced that there has been a change in the top piece of the mold. There is no other explanation for these differences. Somebody should inquire with Discraft about this, because the older ESP Cyclones were $$$$$. I'm not saying I don't like the new mold, but it is an entirely different disc. The differences are similar to the 1st run flat Stalker vs the newer mega-dome Stalkers. The top piece of all molds has a flat section in the middle, and a ramp up from the parting line on the outside. The width of the ramp on the older ones is roughly half as wide as the width of the ramp on the newer ones.

I wish I had my older ESP Cyclone with me to take a picture and post it, so you all can instantly recognize what I'm talking about. I'm away traveling for a couple weeks, and decided to only bring the new domey one with me.

In terms of flight differences, think of adding a lot of predator-like character to the ones you are throwing now, and you'll get closer to the HSS and LSS of older ultra-flats. Relative to the older ultra-flats, the newer ones feel like they have had a heaping spoonful of Comet-like character thrown into the recipe in the way they fly.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby NoLifeLeft » Sat Nov 13, 2010 9:44 am

JHern, does your older have the flight plate tooling and perhaps the new one has the inner rim tooling? I haven't bought and ESP's since they came out. All of my domey-est Cyclones have come from the rim tooled mold.
NoLifeLeft
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: a whole bag of 'em

Postby JHern » Sun Nov 14, 2010 8:19 am

NoLifeLeft wrote:JHern, does your older have the flight plate tooling and perhaps the new one has the inner rim tooling? I haven't bought and ESP's since they came out. All of my domey-est Cyclones have come from the rim tooled mold.

You'll have to describe what you mean by "tooling" and I can certainly answer...
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
JHern

Postby dgdave » Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:14 am

The raised letters on the bottom of the disc.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby JHern » Sun Nov 14, 2010 6:45 pm

dgdave wrote:The raised letters on the bottom of the disc.

Yes, the letters on the bottom of the flight plate are raised. There are no raised letters on the inside of the rim, as in some of the other Discraft molds.
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby EpicLeopard1337 » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:14 pm

how would a Cyclone compare to a Cheetah?

lol I'll never stop looking for a perfect replacement. my first cheetah had a perfect about of HS turn and LSS, but the one I have now is just fliptastic. I'm looking for something that can flip flat and hold nice lines before ending with a nice light fade
Flash-Valkyrie-Cheetah-Roc-Buzzz-Comet
EpicLeopard1337
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: honky cat

Postby discspeed » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:18 pm

I'm getting a bit put off by the amount of variation I've seen in the ESP Cyclones already...Not something I like to see in a mold I'm considering making a permanent addition to my bag...
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Jerrod » Tue Nov 16, 2010 3:55 pm

I have a fairly domey ESP baby blue Cyclone and I am having a hard time telling much of a difference from my Stalkers.
Coyote Point Local
Jerrod
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Nov 16, 2010 5:24 pm

EpicLeopard1337 wrote:how would a Cyclone compare to a Cheetah?

lol I'll never stop looking for a perfect replacement. my first cheetah had a perfect about of HS turn and LSS, but the one I have now is just fliptastic. I'm looking for something that can flip flat and hold nice lines before ending with a nice light fade

There is a chance you are throwing better/harder. Cyclone is pretty comparable to a faster cheetah
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby JHern » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:12 pm

discspeed wrote:I'm getting a bit put off by the amount of variation I've seen in the ESP Cyclones already...Not something I like to see in a mold I'm considering making a permanent addition to my bag...

So I e-mail discraft, and they swore by Allah that there has not been a mold change. Wow, pretty amazing how different a disc can come out of the same mold! And I thought Discraft were the "consistency" guys. Oh well.

My 1st 4 ESP Cyclones were exactly the same, bought at different times and places, with some differences in plastic, and all really great HSS hard-fading discs. I really don't know what has happened, but they are blowing it. Here I was becoming a loyal customer, and they go and screw it all up. Oh well.

But...the stable ones are sooooo money! I need to find some more. My precious!!!

Mike, I hope you get a chance to throw one of these some day, you'll see what I mean.
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby EpicLeopard1337 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:37 pm

how do the X cyclones compare to the ESP cyclones? I see people mentioning Z cyclones, but dgc doesn't carry them and does carry X?
Flash-Valkyrie-Cheetah-Roc-Buzzz-Comet
EpicLeopard1337
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: honky cat

Postby mattw » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:46 pm

I like the Elite X. For me I was able to achieve the same distance as the ESP Cyclones. They seem a tick less stable than the ESP but are a little easier to work straight out of the box than the ESP. Z Cyclones are oop and do not fly anything like the other plastics. More overstable less glide and less distance potential. Nothing like what a cyclone should be. Some people liked them most did not.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment