ESP Cyclone - home for wayward gazelle throwers

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: ESP Cyclone - home for wayward gazelle throwers

Postby Booter » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:54 pm

I have yet to throw an x cyclone but I stocked up on tp clones and esp's . I'm glad I've gone back to them. Definitely longer than I remember them several yrs ago. Straight as a damn arrow . Easy to shape lines with too
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby EpicLeopard1337 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 3:58 pm

what's a tp clone?
Flash-Valkyrie-Cheetah-Roc-Buzzz-Comet
EpicLeopard1337
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: honky cat

Postby Flipflat » Tue Nov 30, 2010 4:02 pm

Old discraft plastic. Tournamet Pro. Tougher than x, but feels nice in the hand.

About comparing x's and esp's- from my experience the esp's are more stable. x's are money.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby peppermack » Tue Nov 30, 2010 6:32 pm

$75 gift certificate to DGC = 5 new ESP Cyclones!
S PD, Firebird, KC Pro/Champ Gazelle, Buzz, Rhyno, ESP Drone, Ion
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby mattw » Tue Nov 30, 2010 8:33 pm

peppermack wrote:$75 gift certificate to DGC = 5 new ESP Cyclones!

Nice gift and welcome to the party. Great discs and if they dont work out for you they make great trade bait.
mattw
2010 DGR Donator

Postby peppermack » Wed Dec 01, 2010 7:58 am

I have thrown them off and on since the esp's came out, I have decided to just stick with em. I am going to try and stick with a core bag of discs and really learn all of them rather than changing all the time. Especially since I do not get to play that much anymore. Better to stick with discs I know.
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Postby peppermack » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:37 pm

Man, the ESP Cyclones I just got are damn near Z plastic. The yellow one I have is slightly translucent and stiff, and the other 4 are pretty stiff as well. The ones I had before this were much softer.
peppermack
aint no salt in my game!

Postby JHern » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:40 pm

OK folks, now that I'm back in town, I can post a pic of the difference between the 2 ESP Cyclones. This is really interesting, because it seems to defy the basic rules of stability and disc shape that we have mostly come to embrace on this board...

-The green one on the left is a new domey type I procured through discspeed, and the orange one on the right is my older broken-in Cyclone.

-The under side of the rims and flight plates are exactly the same: from the bottom, there is no difference at all between them.

-The parting line heights (PLH) are exactly the same. There is no correlation between PLH and domey-ness between these two discs.

-The top of the flight plates are completely different, the green one with a large dome and wide shoulders, while the orange is much flatter and has significantly more narrow shoulders.

-In flight, the orange one has a ton of LSS and moderate HSS. Great for working all sorts of lines, even flexing out of steep anhyzers.

-In flight, the green one has almost no LSS at all and is very easy to flip over at low (150'-200') power. Like a cross between a Stalker and a Comet.

-OAT can be applied in a controllable way to flip the orange one, and the wobble will bleed off relatively quickly in flight.

-The green one flips uncontrollably with even the slightest OAT (very Comet-like), and the wobble doesn't seem to dissipate at all. Only a very clean throw and release will work with this disc.

The best way I can summarize the way these two discs fly is to say that the orange one flies like a Teebird (good HSS, holds lines extremely well at 350' power) but with lots more fade appearing at low speeds, while the green one flies like a cross between the Stalker (in terms of speed) and a Comet (in terms of HSS/LSS).
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby JHern » Thu Dec 02, 2010 1:42 pm

peppermack wrote:Man, the ESP Cyclones I just got are damn near Z plastic. The yellow one I have is slightly translucent and stiff, and the other 4 are pretty stiff as well. The ones I had before this were much softer.

That yellow one sounds like one of my most favorite ESP Cyclones I ever owned. I lost it on hole 26 at DeLaveaga. :(

Let me know how they fly for you...if they are the out-of-the-box over-stable type, I'd be very interested in a trade.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
JHern

Postby Ryan C » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:14 pm

I have to say that I'm surprised that the green one is less stable. My green ones, which look exactly like the one in that picture, are definitely my most stable and most liked cyclones.
Anode--Fuse--Buzzz--Vector--TD--Teebird--Hurricane--Predator
Ryan C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JHern » Thu Dec 02, 2010 3:30 pm

Ryan C wrote:I have to say that I'm surprised that the green one is less stable. My green ones, which look exactly like the one in that picture, are definitely my most stable and most liked cyclones.

Exactly what I was saying...this goes the opposite way as the usual expectation.

I wonder if I could flatten out the green one using some sort of method (e.g., by stacking stuff on top of it, maybe with a little heat applied), and then see if it flies more similarly to my orange and earlier ESP Cyclones.

One possibility I hadn't considered is that the green one might have a huge air bubble or something hidden inside the rim somewhere, which would cause it to wobble in flight due to uneven mass distribution. I'm groping here, because none of the other explanations seem to make sense.

I got a white ESP Cyclone also from discspeed, which I haven't yet thrown. It is somewhere between these two discs in terms of domey-ness. I'll throw it today along with the others, and see how it flies.
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby BLURR » Sat Dec 11, 2010 7:21 am

So I just picked up an ESP Cyclone for shits and giggles. I had never thrown a Cyclone up until yesterday. Took it out yesterday to Ewing Park. I was quite impressed with its flight. It is very easy to work on various lines 300-350. It's like a comet, but in driver form. I need to toy with it a bit more, but signs point to it going in the winter bag.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby JHern » Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:24 am

BLURR wrote:So I just picked up an ESP Cyclone for shits and giggles. I had never thrown a Cyclone up until yesterday. Took it out yesterday to Ewing Park. I was quite impressed with its flight. It is very easy to work on various lines 300-350. It's like a comet, but in driver form. I need to toy with it a bit more, but signs point to it going in the winter bag.

That sounds like the green domey Cyclone in the picture I posted above. Indeed, it can be very useful if you think of it as a longer Comet. But the more stable ESP Cyclones are much more fun: you can crank on them and get beautiful responses in terms of turn, glide, and fade out to distances of at least 350 ft. Much more if you can get a lot of spin on them.

Either way, I think I might consider the domey Comet-Cyclone as a replacement for my first run Z-Stalker, which is almost too valuable to throw.
Japan bag...
JHern

Postby cfair » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:26 am

JHern you have talked me into it...

It sounds like a combination of flat and domey cyclones would be awesome.
cfair
Tree Magnet

Postby cfair » Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:56 pm

So has anyone tried the water trick on this one.
cfair
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment