understable drivers (for huge long annies)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

understable drivers (for huge long annies)

Postby zealot » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:36 am

whats your favorite as of right now? (please also discuss using understable out of the box and beat in overstable stuff too) currently im using a star leopard for shorter/gentler annie and a champ sidewinder for the long ones. the champs almost beat up enough to feel sweet but im wondering if there's anyting else out there that's just money. im lookin also for a disc that would fade right from a flat release.
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby Solty » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:30 am

fade ride from flat release would be a stingray....which is an understable fairway driver..

for bomber annies....i've seen people use roadrunners....and beat up pro wraiths...

i guess whatever does the job ut the roadrunner is understable outta the box
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby garublador » Fri Sep 22, 2006 6:50 am

I've been using a beat Gazelle recently, but I've had really good luck with a beat Orion LS, too. They seem to hold an anny without coming out and without crashing too early really well.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Glock23 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:21 am

The polaris LS is good for that shot too. I gave mine away to a newb on the course whoe was throwing an ultimate disc. I use a beat DX leopard, but want to try the Roadrunner.
Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death. ~ Hunter Thompson
04 Honda Superhawk 996

Live near Ohio and need a new or used car? Send me a PM!
Glock23
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Beaver

Postby krusen » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:22 am

DX Beast (Old mold)
I finally birdied my nemesis hole a few weeks ago with this disc. Too bad they don't make them anymore. I have two, with a Sidewinder waiting to take their place.
krusen
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Old Mold DX Beast

Postby disc_golfing_fool » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:25 am

beat up DX teebird can be released hyzer and will flip anhyzer and not come back. Anhyzer bombs with a light X Avenger.
~~~some rise, some fall, some climb to get to Terrapin~~~
~~peace.love.disc~~

OM
disc_golfing_fool
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby disc_golfing_fool » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:27 am

beat up DX teebird can be released hyzer and will flip anhyzer and not come back. Longer hyzer flips and anhyzer bombs with a light X Avenger.

:D
~~peace.love.disc~~

OM
disc_golfing_fool
Tree Magnet

Postby adidadg » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:33 am

I used to use the sidewinder but lately ive been using a broken in DX Valkyrie (171g), I find it holds a more consistent turn and will not fade back, the SW would sometimes fade back, sometimes not. For a bit shorter, much more controlled annys I use a 3 yr old Z-XL, once you get it on an anny line it holds it beautifully.
adidadg

Postby Weebl » Fri Sep 22, 2006 7:55 am

I second the broken in X Avenger. I also like beat in Rocs for sky ranching in addition to Wizards if I'm close enough and have some elevation.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby disc_golfing_fool » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:04 am

"sky ranching"?

I like to throw beat wizards for shorter annys as well. Very predictable!

~~peace.love.disc~~

OM
disc_golfing_fool
Tree Magnet

Postby Weebl » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:10 am

disc_golfing_fool wrote:"sky ranching"?

I like to throw beat wizards for shorter annys as well. Very predictable!

It's when one ranches the sky! Thrown very high with a flippy disc released hyzer with wrist roll. It will come gliding down perpendicular to your original trajectory almost and it looks fancy.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frontman311 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:12 am

I love using Champ Valkyries for this shot more than anything. Ironically I don't have any of those in my bag right now...So I'm using the new Pro Valks I have. My two beat up DX ones dive waaaaaay to hard. A TeeRex works well too.
Stay positive and love your life.
Frontman311
Tree Magnet

Postby Timko » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:19 am

I guess my dx valk is more beat up then, that's my annie disc of choice. The roadrunner is a great one too, it just gets a bit squirrley on me sometimes.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby bigs348 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 8:19 am

Either an S Wizard or a D Buzzz for shorter annies in the 200-300 range depending on the line, and a Star Wraith for huge ones.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Sep 22, 2006 9:09 am

It all depends on line, if I want a one w more left to right that accually comes down perpendicular I throw a more stable disc (newer heavier x avenger, or occasional teebird) if I want to hyzerflip one over I use a less stable lighter disc (avenger) if I want to throw one that comes back at the end I throw a newer stable driver (avenger) and If I want one that holds a gradual turn at a lower height I throw a newer light driver (avenger) ;-)

really whatever disc you learn will work. But a broken in more stable driver (preferably one you already throw) will be more predictable, and if it is a disc you already throw you learn it better while breaking it in and you will find yourself knowing that mold (in all stages of wear) better.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Next

Return to Equipment