understable drivers (for huge long annies)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:57 am

For me there are annies and then there are turnovers. Annies are released anheyser and turnovers are released with heyser and turn themselves over.

I have actually had more luck with true turnover discs. I have had less luck finding a disc that will hold a long anheyser out from the tee for big D. I have discs that can be thrown for bombs anheyser becasue they come back. I suggest the TeeRex or X Predator for this shot.

All the big D throws turnovers (for me) are started from a heyser and thrown high. I have Star Sidewinders but they usually turn very little unless the wind is forcing the nose to the ground. My heavy Sidewinder was really more like throwing a DX Teebird. It would flip , scream straight and fade a bit a the end. My lighter 170 gram will turnover on a low line, but would often NOT turn on a high line.

But for the HIGH turnover bomb, nothing has beaten my X Express. This disc can be turned from a heyser to anheyser at a high peak. It is also the GUARANTEED turnover, it is much less likely to stall and end left than anything I have ever tried. Once I get the high launch turnover right, I plan to BOMB this sucker way past anything (this is more technique than disc, I think). On normal throws my Express is much more predictable than the Sidewinder for turnovers, and is only a few feet short of the distance. This disc gets no respect, for some reason.

I was watching a kid from Oklahoma at the tornament this weekend. He was throwing the type of throw I am describing. A high turnover that did not turn over until it peaked at maybe 80' in the air. He threw a disc further tha anyone I have ever seen. Maybe 550'-600'. He was throwing a beat Scream.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby zealot » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:59 am

gz bigs how beat up is the star wriath?
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby bigs348 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:16 pm

lock-off wrote:gz bigs how beat up is the star wriath?

It's not too beat up, it's all about the angle and the power you put on it. I release with about 40 degrees of anhyzer and a lot of height -- it will keep turning left, hold that line for most of the flight, and then flatten and sit right about as it's getting to the ground. If I give it too much height, it will occasionally fade back too much, or if I give it too much power, it won't flatten at all, and I'll end up with a roller. It's one of the tougher shots to throw, but if you know you're plastic, you can do it with pretty much any disc.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby bigs348 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 12:19 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:I was watching a kid from Oklahoma at the tornament this weekend. He was throwing the type of throw I am describing. A high turnover that did not turn over until it peaked at maybe 80' in the air. He threw a disc further tha anyone I have ever seen. Maybe 550'-600'. He was throwing a beat Scream.

Devan Owens, maybe?
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Rob » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:48 pm

For shorter annys a real beat up roc
For longer ones beat dx leopards and a beat up pro teebird.
Rob
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby Jerry R » Fri Sep 22, 2006 2:53 pm

I've had great results with a broken in X XS. Flies straight for about 2/3 of it's flight, and then fades right when thrown flat (on a 300ft. throw). It broke in pretty quickly, but has not gotten flippy. I'd be lost without it now.
Jerry R
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Q Sentinel

Postby zealot » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:14 pm

yeah i tried beatin the shit out of my champ sidewinder and it seems to have worked. had a few nice long gentle annies with it today. didnt fade back either it just flattened out. :lol:
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

sidewinder

Postby twmccoy » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:28 pm

My best anhyzer or hyzer flip discs are pro starfires and champ sidewinders. Both have a ton of glide and will hold the line you start them on.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby zealot » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:02 am

yeah it does hold a line real well. might just stick with it for a while. its the only champ disc in my bag , i wish i woulda had a * sidewinder from the start.... even th ough i wonder if you can even beat those in enough???
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:05 am

they will beat in and get a bit squirrly
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby zealot » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:10 am

squirrely for straighter shots or for annie?
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:25 am

squirry may have not been the best word, but impredictable would be more accurate. they dont fade predictable and when they break in they loose their high speed stability (which isnt much) so they will flip too far often and they will fade out way too sone pretty often too because they keep their low speed stability.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby disc_golfing_fool » Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:59 am

Jerry R wrote:I've had great results with a broken in X XS. Flies straight for about 2/3 of it's flight, and then fades right when thrown flat (on a 300ft. throw). It broke in pretty quickly, but has not gotten flippy. I'd be lost without it now.

Before switching to teebirds and avengers the X XS was my go to turnover disc. Great for hyzer flips that finish gliding anhyzer! Love that disc.

:D
~~~some rise, some fall, some climb to get to Terrapin~~~
~~peace.love.disc~~

OM
disc_golfing_fool
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:53 pm

x xs is a good disc, is very comparable to a DX valk. I threw one for a while with great results.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby zealot » Sat Sep 23, 2006 3:54 pm

heres a thought.... its just a thought

maybe annies are the hardest thing to throw with consistent level/angle/release so we think discs are squirrely even tho its the toss and the wind...
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment