understable drivers (for huge long annies)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby bigs348 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:26 pm

I agree with you that anhyzers are one of the hardest shots to throw, but I found Sidewinders to be squirrely on both hyzer and flat releases. Could never really tell when it was going to flip or fade, or if it wanted to at all.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby zealot » Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:40 pm

maybe your level of release follow through or snap arent consistent...
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby bigs348 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 7:59 pm

You can defend Sidewinders all you want, but if other people with good releases with other discs (including Blake) tend to see this trend, then maybe you should accept that it could possibly be true.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby all_thumbs » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:52 pm

My best anhyser discs right now are my S Wizard, beat dx roc, beat 2nd run CE TL (purchased used, cheap and perfectly beat in for this purpose) and when thrown right my SB Orc. The pure anhyser throw, as mentioned, is something that takes good technique. I agree that something more stable than a super understable turnover/roller disc works best. The combination of angle and speed are easy for me to get wrong lately but when the shot works right, its beautiful to behold, ain't it?

I agree that this is a different shot than a turnover released from hyser. For that I have Wizards again (best multipurpose P&A disc on the market?), Coyotes and a beat DX Teebird. Also playing around with a broken in Champ Leopard for this shot because by DX TB seems to be getting squirrelly.

The other thing that's good for Anhyser shots is a good forehard shot! I'm finally learning forehand after 2 years of play and I can tell already just from emergency use how much it will help my game.
Ken H...formerly the user 'gwailo'.
Wizards, 1080 Radius & Warlock twins, Wasp ,Hornet, Buzzz, Demon, Firebird, Leopards, CE TL, Orcs, and Predator.
Bag in flux - rebuilding my game after long layoff including learning forehands hence the schizo nature of what I carry.
all_thumbs
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: DEMON!

Postby Amateur » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:39 pm

For long annies I only throw my beat up 174 S Sabre. I just pick the point in the sky where I want it to turn right and it will glide that way the whole time. No fade, no S, just anhyzer. 8)

As much as I suck at long D, I can put a disc anywhere I want to within my range 90% of the time.
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby didihitatree » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:55 pm

Granted I don't have the biggest arm or the best technique but it's really hard for me to get a nice anhyzer from almost any new disc-- especially premium plastic.

I don't mean I can't get them to turn right; I think almost any disc will turn if you put enough angle on it. But there's just no touch. A tad too little and you get that late fade. A tad too much and you shank it. It just seems like you're fighting the disc to get it to do what you want.

Even Stingrays are kinda tough straight out of the box. They fly much more consistently when they are beat up. After a few outings, you just throw them regularly and they turn right on their own. And I suppose after that you can hyzer flip them get them to turn earlier or later to control amount of turn. I just wish I had a better hyzer flip is all.
didihitatree
Noob

Postby Weebl » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:47 am

A DX Stingray is good for 7 airshots, then it becomes devoted roller status. It was difficult for me to release anhyzer for a long time, because i tried to strong arm it and not let my body act as a coil to whip my arm around, along with wrist roll problems. On flat ground, I'll use a stable-overstable driver such as Gazelle, Teebird, Starfire-x, Tsunami with anhyzer release as I am able to control when it flattens/fades more predictably. If I'm going uphill, stable-understable driver or sidearm. Downhill, midrange or flippy driver (Roc, Beast, Leopard). The Sidewinder is very inconsistant for me; if throwing an anny, and trying to replicate the flight twice, I'm much more consistantly able to reproduce the same line with other discs.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Previous

Return to Equipment