Innova "proline" plastic and "champion"

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Innova "proline" plastic and "champion"

Postby MR. WICK » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:10 am

Can anyone help me out with what the differences between the two are?
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby garublador » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:30 am

This is kind of a confusing topic. For a while they had "Chamion Edition" plastic (CE) that's the predecessor to the current Champion plastic. For whatever reason, they changed the name to "Pro Line" plastic. Every once in a while you'll find a Pro Line Beast. Monster or Leopard, that's made of Champion plastic. All of the Champion Gremlins were labled "Pro Line" (I'm not sure if there are new ones yet or not). Here's an example of what that looks like:

Now they just call the plastic "Champion" and have been pretty consistant with the naming.

Since they've changed the name to Champion, they came out with Pro plastic, which is the mid grade plastc. The Wraith is a good example of a Pro disc. The plastic is opaque and rubbery. There is a description of it on Innova's site here:

http://www.innovadiscs.com/faq/plastictype.html
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Timko » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:40 am

The Proline and champion plastic are pretty similar. Some people say the proline plastic (like the old 11x pro teebirds) are more stable than the champion counterparts. I've got a freind who's got 3 Proline beasts and doesn't like the champ ones (the old molds).
Personally, I think the plastics are pretty similar, especially the champion type proline plastic. The plastic for the proline gremlins is a bit different, and has some sort of opaque agent added to them. I haven't thrown them, so I can't comment on the difference.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby bigs348 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:18 pm

I used to throw the Proline Beasts -- they were my go to drivers for over 3 years. I never liked the old mold Champ Beasts, and I like the new ones even less. There was something about the pearly, opaque plastic that was so nice. I had a Proline Monster, too, that was the same plastic. In my opinion, those were the best Monsters by far, but I've heard the Star is pretty dang good although I haven't tried them.

I also have a Proline Leopard, but it's not Champion, CE, or Pro plastic. It's feels most like Champion but opaque white and softer.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Equipment