Powerball Question

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Powerball Question

Postby schla104 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 11:26 am

Hey guys.
Long time since I was here last. er well about 3 months. well anyways I bought one of those powerball things to work with and I am having a problem getting the thing going properly. Could anyone maybe post a video or something about how they do it? I can get it started with the cord but then if i try to rotate it, it just slows down eventually.

Oh and Blake if you read this, do you still work and GGGT?
~Pred~Wraith~SOLF~XL~Roc~Warlock~Wizard
First Ace
4/4/06
schla104
Tree Magnet

Postby roadkill » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:50 pm

Practice, my friend, practice.

Think fluid, smooth circles. Most people have muscle imbalances which make it challenging to do a smooth circuliar motion.
The most common mistake I've seen new users do is trying to go too fast right from the get go. After getting a good rip with the string go into smooth slower circles and try to feel the resistance of the spinning rotor. Once you're in synch with the rotor very gradually and smoothly increase the speed and decrease the size of your wrist circles.

I hope this makes sense and helps. If you practice 10-15 minutes a day, you should get it within 4-5 days.

PS. Had you purchased your gyro from me you would've received a CD rom video which demostrates various techniques and exercises.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby discmonkey42 » Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:06 pm

Roadkill,

Been using mine for a while and it's really cool. I just got to 11101 about a week ago, which is the highest yet. Did I read somewhere that there are guys making this thing go 13-14,000 rpm??? I just can't see being able to make this thing go that much faster than I already am. If so, what's the trick to get that fast?
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby schla104 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:32 am

ah you were right about the practice thing. it just took me some time. and i did get the cd but i just couldn't get it going, now i can every time. I just had to slow down like you said. this thing is sweet
~Pred~Wraith~SOLF~XL~Roc~Warlock~Wizard
First Ace
4/4/06
schla104
Tree Magnet

Postby roadkill » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:48 am

discmonkey42 wrote:Roadkill,

Did I read somewhere that there are guys making this thing go 13-14,000 rpm??? I just can't see being able to make this thing go that much faster than I already am. If so, what's the trick to get that fast?

The current videotaped world record is 16317 rpms
Here's the scoreboard from the powerballs site
http://www.powerballs.com/scoreboard.php

If you peruse the site there are video links that'll show these freaks going at it and recording these amazing speeds. To answer how do they get it going so fast it's the same as answering how do distance throwers throw a golf disc over 700 feet. Lots of practice, experimenting with different grips and techniques and finally some people are just gifted with a certain amount of fast twitch muscle fibers and unique coordination that makes it possible.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discmonkey42 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 12:51 am

The video of the first guy is insane. I can't believe he gets it going so fast.
discmonkey42
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby roadkill » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:07 pm

Akis is the Ken Climo of powerball. He has all the PB records: 250hz, 350hz metal, dual handed and 90 second scores.
He broke 15k when the other top PBers were barely hitting 14k. Now there are several elite users breaking 15 and he's well past 16k.
They only list your highest score. Truth be told Akis has recorded 16k scores on numerous occassions and can record 15k+ scores with either hand.

Jeff Ash (disc golfer from AR) use to be like number 6 or 7 on the list, but the increased competition in recent years has dropped his ranking down to 32.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby swel304 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 6:30 pm

roadkill, Ive been thinking of getting one of these things, probly from your site. what is the differences between the expensive and cheap ones?
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby roadkill » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:26 pm

The best exercise gyros are manufactured by NSD (Nanosecond). They are packaged with either the Dynaflex or Powerball brand names.

The difference between NSD gyros and all others are:

1. Potential for higher speeds (and therefore greater resistance)
2. Quality - smoothness (less vibration/rattle)
3. Quality- as in longevity and ability to hold up to daily workouts
4. Speedmeter compatible- If you are serious about gyro training you'll eventually want a speedmeter to guage your progress and make your workouts more fun.

From my home page just hit products and it will take you to my eBay store. My gyros are priced significantly less than both the Powerball's site as well as the Dynaflex site. Or I'll give you $3 off my eBay price if you want to PM me here with which model you want and paypal me the funds.

And to anticipate the most common question I get:
The orange powerball model is identical in performance to the pro plus model but has red led lights that brighten in proportion to the speed of its rotor (basicly an added cool factor).
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby swel304 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 7:40 pm

so i should probly just buy the one with the speedometer already included or I'll have to pay more for it later when I want to know if Im actually improving?
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby roadkill » Mon Sep 25, 2006 9:39 am

Yes, I would highly reccommend getting one with the speedmeter.

I assume you want to achieve strength and coordination gains through gyro training and being able to see your rpm scores is an excellent motivation to keep you progressing.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Postby DRDYE » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:24 pm

Go with one with the speedmeter. I got one a few months back with the speedmeter. Its fun to see how much you better you get as you go, with the speedmeter it will also hold you high scores!!!

In the first couple days I was hitting 10k, but after a few weeks of working with it for about 10-15 min a day. I was maxing out around 11k. Now I just cant seem to get above 12339. I did drop it a once and some friends have dropped it a couple times too, so maybe that has an effect?? Or maybe that is just where I am going to max out at.

Oh and you got to check out the dual video with the top speed(on the powerball website). How the hell is he starting them both one handed??? It looks like it has some flick of the thumb to get each started in each hand at the same time, mad skills!!!
DRDYE
Noob

Return to Equipment