Should I be throwing a Sidewinder?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Postby swel304 » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:18 pm

I can throw my roc in the 225 range but I have to throw my brains out to get there with it. Much less effort with the jls/ls. The only other mid I carry is an mrv and its mostly for short turn shots now. Ive been driving with the wiz when I practice but cant get the release right for that kind of distance except maybe downhill. I played another round today and got a -6 blowing away my previous best (yesterday) by 4 strokes. This jls is just kicking arse for me, I think I may be on to something here.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Timko » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:38 pm

swel304 wrote:Ive been driving with the wiz when I practice but cant get the release right for that kind of distance except maybe downhill.

Since the wizard is a slower disc (as are most putters), you have to get it up in the air a bit for any sizeable distance.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:46 pm

Amateur wrote:Fear not Dirty. I am listening to you guys, but everybody is different. And yes my Sabres do fly very nicely still, they just look homely. I need to get some fresh ones soon. Maybe Evolution plastic? You've had both right Dirty? If you read this hook a brother up with a short review?

I definately agree everyones different, and I do encourage everyone to try everything to find what works for them.

for sabres:
E plastic has more fade, and new has more fade than an S of the same weight.
E plastic broken in (after a couple weeks) will have alittle high speed turn, and still a bit of fade. I perfered S because even though it looked trashed, it held its stability longer, and lost its fade, making it very straight.

I have a 176 Evo Proline unthrown if you want to compare for yourself, both are great discs, the E was more versitle (hyzer straight and anny) however was not as straight as the S. If I wanted a versitle control driver I would have thrown cyclones or gazelles, so I stuc to the S plastic for my sabres.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby didihitatree » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:02 am

swel304, I can pipe my MRV 250+ down a 10 foot wide corridor with overhanging trees pretty easily. In fact, there are several holes like that on my course and they're my birdie holes using that disc. Just throw it low and hard and it not only will it not fade, but you'll get a nice straight skip.

Having said that, I can't throw my Roc as far as MRV and it tends to fade a little more on me. I don't use it that quite as much, but if I do it's for touch shots(either direction). Something about larger diameter discs troubles me. My MRV is straighter than my Buzzz, which is supposedly the straightest disc ever. I actually use the Buzzz for short right turn holes.

I also think I get quite a bit more fade out of my sidewinder than I do from a valk; it's just that you get a bit more natural early left movement to compensate. I don't really trust either disc too much on non-open holes.

So yeah, I think it does depend on how a disc feels to you and somewhat on your natural motions. The great players can throw any way they want; we can't. I've found I'm pretty good controlling nose up-down angle down, but weaker at controlling hyzer angle and general height.
didihitatree
Noob

Postby zealot » Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:35 am

"My MRV is straighter than my Buzzz, which is supposedly the straightest disc ever. I actually use the Buzzz for short right turn holes."

that , to me, indicates u have a shit ton of snap. (what im saying is the buzzz is straight,,, just not fer you)
zealot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Pro Rhyno

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:11 am

your problems with larger diameter mids probably has to do with off axis torque. Smaller diamaters mask this tecnique flaw. Also explain why you cant keep a buzzz straight.

I dont think buzzz's are the straightest disc ever, mabey a D buzzz is out of the box straighter than anything else out of the box, but a broken in stable (broken in MRV included) disc usually flies much straighter (w/ a higher tendancy from turn)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby swel304 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:19 am

I can hyzer the mrv a bit and get a nice straight line out of it, but it still turns all the way over somethimes. I also like it for hittin really small windows on mid shots. Other than that I use the roc because it doesnt turn over unless I botch the release, and even then I usualy comes back, none of my mrv's will without lots of height.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby didihitatree » Tue Sep 26, 2006 1:48 pm

lock-off wrote:that , to me, indicates u have a shit ton of snap. (what im saying is the buzzz is straight,,, just not fer you)

Naw, I throw with an anyhzyer. I can't just turn it via snap on a neutral throw.

I like the buzzz or Roc for any shots requiring English (left or right). They just seem to have better touch. They both seem to have just a bit of fade at the end, which is perfect. That means you can fade them left. And if you twant to turn them right, they'll kinda glide out instead of turning harder and harder and maybe even turning into a roller. I can throw both the buzzz and Roc pretty straight, just not quite as far or as good as the MRV.

And yeah, my MRV is pretty beat up compared to my Buzzz and Roc. I can turn it over by accident, with disastrous results (though I usually throw it flat). It's not necessarily the most risk-free disc or the most useful. It's just the one that goes the straightest for me when thrown the right way.
didihitatree
Noob

Previous

Return to Equipment