X Predator or X Talon for girl armed thrower?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

X Predator or X Talon for girl armed thrower?

Postby Amateur » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:43 am

Discraft rates both of these discs a 2 for stability. Blake's chart has the Talon as a 4 for power requirement where the Predator is a 5. I have a X Predator already and I like it's flight path. I'm just wondering if a Talon would give me more distance with a similar flight path as the chart says it will. Maybe a Tsunami would work too as it is a retooled, less stable Predator. It is a 5 for power though.

I'm looking for a disc to fill spot #4 and/or #5.

I'm open to any other suggestions as well. Just not any Innova discs. There's nothing wrong with them except everyone around here uses them and I like to be different :wink: .
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby didihitatree » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:33 pm

Unless your desired flight path is "hard left turn" then you could probably throw an XL or XS farther than either of those two discs AND in whatever path you want.

I'm a fan of the Tracker, but I don't see too many other people throwing them.
didihitatree
Noob

Postby Amateur » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:45 pm

My desired flight path is hard left turn, sometimes with a hard left skip at the end. That's why I am looking at overstable drivers, not stable/understable drivers. Not trying to confuse anyone.

Spot #4 is a moderately overstable disc, and Spot #5 is a very overstable disc.
Amateur

Postby presidio hills » Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:51 pm

my guess is that since Z preds are more popular than X preds, blake's chart is based on that... so maybe your X pred is the right stability for you. seems like a good disc for that "slot" in your bag, too. you may want to try some Z plastic action, too, and see what you like better for those shots.
i used to throw the X xtras, but now i like the Zs better (slice through the wind better, bigger skip, more overstable).
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:42 pm

blakes chart is usually an average of all plastics.

The pred generally flies a very stable straight line with alot of fade while the talon tends to hook the whole way. A broken in X pred is a beautiful disc (I am still considering switching to X preds instead of teebirds, they have similar flights)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:54 pm

Both of those discs will turn left. The predator turns harder (hope I'm describing correctly). The talon is more of a subtle fade.

My x talon broke into very straight in a year, but I replaced it with avengers. My z predator about 4-5 years old now is starting to get straight.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby cschwab » Mon Sep 25, 2006 3:42 pm

I use an X pred for slot 4 and a Z one for slot 5.

The X one is much more useful for me for long hyzers and headwind D. The Z one gets most of its use as a utility disc or in extreme wind.

I've seen some LONG s curves thrown w/a beat in x pred as well.
cschwab
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Sep 25, 2006 4:51 pm

x preds are great, I am considering replacing teebirds with them (already said that in this thread)

I think a Firebird or Champ Banshee, Z reaper, or mabey even a Z cyclone could be an option for this slot for a weaker arm.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Amateur » Mon Sep 25, 2006 10:07 pm

I was crushing my x predator today. It's really fast for being so stable. And very straight too, till it loses steam.

I might not be as big a sissy as I think I am?

EDIT:What is the lightest weight X Preds are available in? The lowest I've seen is 168g.
Amateur

Postby didihitatree » Mon Sep 25, 2006 11:40 pm

ah, sorry I missed the part about where you slotted them in your bag.

The two guys I know who carry X Predators don't really use them for big hyzer shots. It seems to be more of a #4 or pure distance driver for big arms rather than the overstable club. That's not to say it couldn't be used that way.

My choice is still to get the less-stable, less power disc and get more turn via hyzer. I think control over amount and when you fade is more important than raw D here. But I hardly ever have to worry about wind here.

There's no shortage of overstable Discraft drivers, so just find what you like. I'd say if you're a little worried about your arm strength, use an X-Avenger for your #4 and a Pred for #5. If you like the Pred, get one in X and one in Z. I think my friend's X-Predator that I threw was either 166 or 167,
didihitatree
Noob

Return to Equipment