Trident from Latitude 64°

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Trident from Latitude 64°

Postby Timko » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:08 pm

I think there's a bit of a revolution in Disc Golf right now with the speed 8-10 drivers. They're becoming straighter while still giving the thrower good control over a wide range of velocities. Discmania's CD and PD also fall into this category, as well as Gateway's new fairway driver offerings. I've been referring to these as "hybrids," since they offer good control with lots of distance potential.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby JKP » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:09 pm

like the striker :!:
Omega ss-Kc Aviar-Comet-Roc-Vision-Pd-Firebird-Katana
JKP
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: vision

Postby coldy13 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:51 pm

Banzai wrote:Latitude 64 Striker
Tumpsi says the nose is beefy, so perhaps that's why it flies a little slower than the striker. (Pure guess/conjecture: Striker bottom with XXX top?). Sounds like a good mod. overstable driver for lower power players... Still seems too fast to be considered a fairway driver though.

EDIT: must be a new top; the XXX is 21.5cm in diameter.

The Striker and XXX are the same bottom, the top on the XXX is what changes the nose thickness and stability. I'm guessing the Trident is also the same bottom with a top/nose thickness in between the other two.
coldy13
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: striker

Postby keltik » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:30 pm

Furthur wrote:I think there's a bit of a revolution in Disc Golf right now with the speed 8-10 drivers. They're becoming straighter while still giving the thrower good control over a wide range of velocities. Discmania's CD and PD also fall into this category, as well as Gateway's new fairway driver offerings. I've been referring to these as "hybrids," since they offer good control with lots of distance potential.

i agree with the lion's share of what you said but i would say the PD is beefy but not ricockulous....and the CD seems by the numbers (including the tech standards number) to be a tweaked/rehashed viking which came out 6 years ago.....and you could even include discs like the Starfire/L 2005/07 and the Avenger 2005 even the XS 2000, the Crush 2003....these discs were largely over looked i imagine because of what came out at the same time or shortly after (Wraith 2005, Surge 2006, and the ridiculousness out now)....and also maybe some manufacturing inconsistencies

no i didn't include Gateway/Quest stuff either because i'm not too swooft on them
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby keltik » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:54 pm

oh and here is something scintillating i found reading the tech standards......the striker is almost identical to the.....AVENGER-SS.....okay before you guys have a melt down the difference is the height.....the A-SS is 0.2cm taller than the striker and the rim configuration (wetf that is) is a difference of 0.25.....but yeah it seems we've all fallen in love with an Avenger-SS......priceless

but then again i'm not a 990 rated player
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Timko » Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:41 pm

keltik wrote:
Furthur wrote:I think there's a bit of a revolution in Disc Golf right now with the speed 8-10 drivers. They're becoming straighter while still giving the thrower good control over a wide range of velocities. Discmania's CD and PD also fall into this category, as well as Gateway's new fairway driver offerings. I've been referring to these as "hybrids," since they offer good control with lots of distance potential.

i agree with the lion's share of what you said but i would say the PD is beefy but not ricockulous....and the CD seems by the numbers (including the tech standards number) to be a tweaked/rehashed viking which came out 6 years ago.....and you could even include discs like the Starfire/L 2005/07 and the Avenger 2005 even the XS 2000, the Crush 2003....these discs were largely over looked i imagine because of what came out at the same time or shortly after (Wraith 2005, Surge 2006, and the ridiculousness out now)....and also maybe some manufacturing inconsistencies

no i didn't include Gateway/Quest stuff either because i'm not too swooft on them

Keep in mind when the discs you mentioned came out they were the fastest things on the market. I'm just happy the manufacturers are going back to improve on this speed range of discs. Obviously, Latitude figure this out pretty quickly, since they've introduced a hit in that range.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:49 am

Max Weight: 177.6
Diameter: 21.4
Height:1.6
Rim Depth: 1.2
Rim Thickness: 1.9

Latitude 64 Trident
Height:1.4
Rim Depth: 1.1

From the numbers, it looks as though the Trident will not really be significantly slower than the Striker. The rim thickness is identical. It's also lower profile. Tumpsi says the nose is beefy, so perhaps that's why it flies a little slower than the striker. (Pure guess/conjecture: Striker bottom with XXX top?). Sounds like a good mod. overstable driver for lower power players... Still seems too fast to be considered a fairway driver though.

i just realized that these are probly the numbers from the original Trident mold that was scrapped due to being too similar to the XXX, Tomas said they would most likely make a new one from scratch so the new mold may actually have a smaller rim

regarding the trident:
Latitude 64 wrote:Today it seems like we are going to drop that one. Even if it´s good disc, we belive it´s to close to XXX (now when XXX is a little bit less overstable than the proto) We have a few hundred of it but if you have to throw away atleast 50% of the batches there is no point producing it. Yes we could retool it but the cost is almost the same as making a new mold, a mold that fit better in our growing series of discs./Tomas
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Hoey » Tue Jun 16, 2009 6:20 am

that makes sense.

So that makes it... new disc in the works, not coming out, let's try it anyway, not coming out.

Looking forward to the next new disc at any rate.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby Banzai » Tue Jun 16, 2009 7:50 am

Jesse B 707 wrote:
Height:1.6
Rim Depth: 1.2

Latitude 64 Trident
Height:1.4
Rim Depth: 1.1

From the numbers, it looks as though the Trident will not really be significantly slower than the Striker. The rim thickness is identical. It's also lower profile. Tumpsi says the nose is beefy, so perhaps that's why it flies a little slower than the striker. (Pure guess/conjecture: Striker bottom with XXX top?). Sounds like a good mod. overstable driver for lower power players... Still seems too fast to be considered a fairway driver though.

i just realized that these are probly the numbers from the original Trident mold that was scrapped due to being too similar to the XXX, Tomas said they would most likely make a new one from scratch so the new mold may actually have a smaller rim

regarding the trident:
Latitude 64 wrote:Today it seems like we are going to drop that one. Even if it´s good disc, we belive it´s to close to XXX (now when XXX is a little bit less overstable than the proto) We have a few hundred of it but if you have to throw away atleast 50% of the batches there is no point producing it. Yes we could retool it but the cost is almost the same as making a new mold, a mold that fit better in our growing series of discs./Tomas

This makes sense. I'd like to see the updated numbers in that case.
ridge | roc | river | pd
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby sunspot » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:17 pm

Who wants Trident? I do, I do.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby Jeronimo » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:28 pm

keltik wrote:oh and here is something scintillating i found reading the tech standards......the striker is almost identical to the.....AVENGER-SS.....okay before you guys have a melt down the difference is the height.....the A-SS is 0.2cm taller than the striker and the rim configuration (wetf that is) is a difference of 0.25.....but yeah it seems we've all fallen in love with an Avenger-SS......priceless

but then again i'm not a 990 rated player

Hmmmmmm... nah its definitely no Avenger SS...
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Jesse B 707 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 1:47 pm

Hoey wrote:that makes sense.

So that makes it... new disc in the works, not coming out, let's try it anyway, not coming out.

Looking forward to the next new disc at any rate.

no, its coming out, this quote is from a few months back when he decided to scrap the original
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby mejlholm » Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:40 pm

Found a pic of the trident with a view of the underside of the disc

And oh yeah, discsport.se is already selling them :-)
PDGA | Bag | Drives

Wizard | Roc | Eagle-X | Sword | Giant
mejlholm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby RoomTenONine » Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:23 pm

mejlholm wrote:Found a pic of the trident with a view of the underside of the disc

And oh yeah, discsport.se is already selling them :-)

Check out the image on the Vision chameleon at the bottom right of this page: http://www.discsport.se/shopping/index.php?marke=8

Gotta love international translation faux pas!
RoomTenONine
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Sanny Q-Sentinel

Postby Latitude 64 » Tue Jun 16, 2009 4:36 pm

quote]Check out the image on the Vision chameleon at the bottom right of this page: http://www.discsport.se/shopping/index.php?marke=8

Gotta love international translation faux pas![/quote]

LOL, that was funny! :D Slut... means, out of stock

I´ve read this thread and will comment later this week about Trident.

Today I can tell you that it is much slower than the Striker. It´s like an old working horse, reliable and probably a good friend for a long time. (if you like it).

/Tomas, Latitude 64°
Latitude 64
sweet ass swede

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment