disc progression

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

disc progression

Postby victorb » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:02 pm

My main driver at this point is a 174 Champion Valk. I have been flipping the disc to flat from a hyzer release and get really good and consistent results with it. Often I flip it over into any moderate headwind though.

My question is this: Is it time to move to a more stable driver? If so, what would you recommend? Or do I just need a slightly more stable driver to throw into a headwind?

Thanks in advance.
Ability is what you're capable of doing. Motivation determines what you do. Attitude determines how well you do it. -Lou Holtz -

*Trespass*PD*Predator*FD*Mace*Comet*Gator*Summit*Judge*
victorb
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby trogdor » Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:22 pm

Keep your consistant driver and add something more overstable for the wind. Throwing into a headwind is not representative of your true disc speed, so keep the disc that performs in no wind as your primary driver. If you start to lose consistancy with the Valk in no wind, you might want to keep it as a downwind driver.
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Sep 26, 2006 3:06 pm

if the valk flies how you like I would reccomend a champ Viking alittle more stable, X avenger tad more stable, Z crush a bit more stable, or Star Starfire more stable. The valk should still make a good max D Driver for you.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Frontman311 » Tue Sep 26, 2006 9:17 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:The valk should still make a good max D Driver for anyone.
Stay positive and love your life.
Frontman311
Tree Magnet

Postby TexasOutlaw » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:01 am

Thatdirtykid wrote:if the valk flies how you like I would reccomend a champ Viking alittle more stable, X avenger tad more stable, Z crush a bit more stable, or Star Starfire more stable. The valk should still make a good max D Driver for you.

I'm starting to think were related, Kid. That was very similar to what I was gonna add and to my own progression.

Though I went xs-->champ viking-->crush (that I traded pretty quick, and now throw avengers.

What I like about x avengers is that they are not so overstable that new players can't throw them, yet have decent resistance to turn.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Thatdirtykid » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:10 am

TexasOutlaw wrote:What I like about x avengers is that they are not so overstable that new players can't throw them, yet have decent resistance to turn.

As long as they arent too heavy, My 174s and 175s are a bit stable, but my 168 really isnt much more stable than a viking. (I have a 175 First run which is almost as stable as my broken in ESP avenger)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Return to Equipment