Recovering Disc Whore?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Recovering Disc Whore?

Postby Bradley Walker » Wed Sep 27, 2006 8:07 pm

I am a recovering disc whore.

I admit it. I have thrown just about every disc out there in one form or another in the last year since returning to disc golf. I have fallen prey to the idea that the "next" disc I get, will be the one to get me that last few "critical" yards of distance...

Alas, as I progress through all the discs, DX, Champion, Star, ESP, Elite X, KC Pros, and even a couple Gateway Wizards, I have discovered that the discs mean very little in the big scheme of things. I have reached a point where my max distance is just that, my MAX distance. I have also learned that scoring has very little to do with distance, up to a point, and much more to do with developing some kind of putter stroke.

This is not to say I have not learned a lot in process. If nothing else, I know that the disc will not save you, but it can hurt you, and I can throw decent scores without any "power" to speak of.

I also threw a big tournament, and this was also a huge eye opening experience. We had to play in conditions that did not allow all out ripping power for mere mortals, and birdies had to be gleaned on the lesser holes. Even throwing pars in these condiions was enough to do well in my class (even though the PRO who won Open was 52 strokes better than me for 84 holes of play). The comments about the record setting rounds played in pro (rain soaked course records) were best described as "insane hot putting" not 500 ft throws. It also came to light that technique is difficult to understand from pictures on the Internet, and nothing beats a little in person exposure.

So, in light of this, I am trying to find a disc that makes the most of my 80% power instead of 110% power. I am not a short thrower if traction is available, but this power leaks away quickly when throwing on slick, wet, muddy teeboxes.

In an effort to glean a little glide from my driver choices I dropeed the Star TeeRex for the Star Starfire as I found I couldachieve great distance, as good as the TeeRex wit hthe Starfire with a little less snap as the disc would complete its glide better at the end of the flight. Sadly, I lost one of my Starfires and I went to get another one, and the local store did not have another one, and my ass ached from the $18 price tag anyway.

So, in protest I said "screw this" and went to a stack of Discraft X plastic. This is actually my favorite plastic for grip. I grabbed two Crushes as a Starfire replacements and two Avengers to compare to the Crushes. I have to say I am very pleased with my choices, and a bit surprised also. I hope i can make this my workhorse driver.

The Crush is indeed very close to Starfire for me, but it has less fade and pretty much longer on average. I have no idea if they will break in poorly, but I do believe I can throw these further because of the added glide, some disc testing proved that I am at my max distance with this disc. I use a hole on my local course to judge and I pushing the limit (over 450'---e3ven though I do not agree with the sign on the hole) of my distance capability wit hthe Crush.

The X Avenger is more like a Star Sidewinder or DX Valk. I did not expect this. I expected a very overstable disc, but surprisingly it is more of a gliding heyser flip disc or anheyser disc. It can be thrown very far with medium power.

If the wind starts blasting I have my Star Monster which is more predictable than the old X Predator, but I may revisit this disc also if I ever find one that really catches my eye. The Monster simply cannot be flipped and is nearly as long as anything I have throw for "standard" distance (not depending on crazy glide).

The crazy thing is I can throw a new DX Aviar or KC Pro Aviar 350' but I can't throw a balls out driver 500'+ (local course sign distances, not my own). This is confusing. I have lots of speed out of the hand, a smooth spinning release, but have not mastered the glide of these new fast drivers. trying to add more UMPH just creates more torque and requires tremendous effort.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby roadkill » Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:34 pm

Don't be ashamed you are among many.

I went through that stage for a few years in the late 80's and early 90's. One of my main sermon's to newbies is to limit the number of molds you throw so you know your plastic. The fewer molds you throw the more committed you will be to your disc and shot selection and this will lead to greater control and consistency.

So many discs are overhyped. Only a small percentage of molds remain popular more than 2-3 years. People assume just because a disc is new that it must be better than what's already on the market.

In the 20 years I've played this sport there have been maybe 120 or so different discs yet only about 10 had any real staying power with most just being a flash in the pan.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Sep 28, 2006 10:55 am

I am really torn, because I probably need to pick ONE driver mold and just stick with that. At least the rim would feel the same, even if I had to progressively go up in plastic for more stability (like using ESP for headwinds).

The Crush is a great disc so far, but the Avenger rim is absolutely the perfect width. My hand just locks onto the rim. The Crush is just a TICK wider. Just enough I have to play with my grip a little more. Nothing I could not get used to, but I was stunned how well the Avenger rim feels. It feels like Cyclone rim or something.

The two X Avengers I bought are red. They seem very domey. The first throws were downright flippy and I had to tune the dome DOWN (something I almost never do), yet people are using Avengers for headwind discs. Is this normal?
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Frank Delicious » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:04 am

When I used Avengers they were quite stable, of course mine were domey, they were quite flat. I definitely could throw then into a headwind without them flipping. Of course our power levels could differ, I was happy the other day when I threw 375" so you might be able to put more snap into them then I could.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby roadkill » Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:40 am

Bradley Walker wrote:I The first throws were downright flippy and I had to tune the dome DOWN (something I almost never do), yet people are using Avengers for headwind discs. Is this normal?

I know you prefer the grip of x plastic, but if you like the avenger mold and want more stability you could go with the z avenger. They are more stable than x avengers and likely more durable.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby Bradley Walker » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:32 pm

Does anyone see the X-Avenger varying from being flat to domey? Is one color better than another?
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Sep 29, 2006 6:32 pm

not enough to make a difference, they differenciate in weight a bit though.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby Rooster » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:42 pm

like TDK said nothing really that noticibly different but i did notice a slight bit that the red ones are a touch less stable than any other color.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Weebl » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:50 pm

Bradley Walker wrote:Does anyone see the X-Avenger varying from being flat to domey? Is one color better than another?
I have a nate doss signature yellow X-Avenger (170-172) and it's flat for 4/5 of it's top.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Rooster » Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:21 am

yeah the avenger and trackers plateau in their dome.
Rooster
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Bradley Walker » Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:09 pm

I agree. Red seems to be the least stable of all the colors.

Anyone know the most stable color? I thought black was very stable, but I won't throw black anymore, too hard to find.

I am liking the Avenger a lot. I just need a bit more stability than the red. The disc is more glidey than the Crush, and seems to be just as long.

I got a Storm in the tourney. It is Z plastic but it is opaque like X plastic. I wish I could get X like that. I hate the clear plastic.
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:19 pm

my most stable is a first run tie dye, but I bet its the most stable because they tweaked the mold after the first runs (the rim of the first runs was alittle sharper, and people complained)
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Return to Equipment