Glow discs?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Glow discs?

Postby some call me...tim? » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:27 pm

I currently live in the Pacific Northwest where the days are getting progressively shorter every day :( , and I was wondering if anyobody had tips about glow discs? I haven't ever used them before, are there any that people recommend or try to avoid? One of my friends broke one out the other day, some sort of old school Roc. It glowed really nicely right when the flashlight was taken away from it, but it dulled almost back to white in a matter of seconds. Is that something they all do, or was that just one that was past its prime? Any advice is much appreciated.
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby trogdor » Thu Sep 28, 2006 4:47 pm

I think LEDs are the way to go. I've never been able to get a glow disc to glow for very long.

http://www.nightdiscgolf.com/disc_lights.html
http://www.discgolfworld.com/product_de ... ct_id=2094
http://www.everythingdiscgolf.com/produ ... 283&page=1

These things really light up a disc, especially candy plastic. Also, because they are basically the guts of fishing lures, they can get wet and still show. I've thrown a disc with one of these LEDs taped to the bottom into a creek and it was very easy to see.

I tape mine to the bottom of the disc and notice just a touch more understability in the disc.
Pred, Wraith, TeeBird, Eagle, Whippet, Cobra, Rhyno, Arrow
trogdor
Tree Magnet

glow discs

Postby twmccoy » Thu Sep 28, 2006 5:04 pm

Glow discs do not work unless you play in absolutely pitch black conditions. Even moonlight is too much light. They lose their glow very quickly. I played around with a glow eagle one night and couldn't see where it went at all.
twmccoy
Plastic Fondler

Postby Granduter » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:03 pm

Eh, I toss a photon glo XL. If you are going to go for glow plastic, get photon glow, it will actually hold a charge compared to innova's or lightnings glow plastic.
I use a photon glo because my course is 45 second walk from my dorm room and sometimes its nice to get a round in at night, I would blow too much on lights. I also know the course extremely well, if I watch a person throw I can tell you almost exactly where it is going to land.
That said if I were to play anywhere else I would probably lose my glow disc, its really not THAT bright.
Go with tape on lights if you play less than 1-2x a week at night, you can use the discs you already know and love, its actually a light so you can see your babies from far away instead of having to nearly walk over them.
Granduter
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:38 pm

gateways glow plastic glows really well. I agree light sticks are a good way to go. you can also check out the "bat" and "owl" ones heavier than the other and ones a mid I think, you dont need a glow putter really. They arent pdga legal but are fun, and thats what glow golf is about. You can find them at marshall street, they accually have replaceable glowsticks inside the disc.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby sleepy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:33 am

I have three glow discs: a Teebird, a Roc, and a Wizard. The Wizard makes the others look like non-glow plastic, but I still think the LED's are the way to go. That way, you can use discs you use everyday, instead of glow discs that you may only use once in a while and aren't really used to.

sleepy
sleepy wrote:I sleepy, do hereby commit to use the Comet as my main midrange disc for a period of no less than one (1) year; commencing 11/24/09 and ending (if I so choose) on 11/24/10.

PDGA#: 29929 My Trade List: Sleepy's Disc-O-Rama!
My bag: Predators, Surges, Teebirds, Wasps, Comets, Challengers and Magics...Oh my!
sleepy
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby superq » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:06 am

we play glow several times a month and I used to have a seperate bag with glow discs and a camera flash... old school

Now I carry a stash mini with 10-15 little chem lights (the snap and shake glow sticks) and a roll of tape - get the plastic waterproof medical tape you can re-tape sticks on different discs until it gets really wet

I also have one LED that can be turned off and on that is always taped to the bottom of one of my minis, this is really handy for those rounds that start in the day but end after dark, dont have to waste a chem light for two holes...
superq
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: FOCUS

Postby presidio hills » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:34 am

i used to use LEDs. go to radioshack, look in those little drawers in the back and find some LEDs... the higher the numbers the brighter they are, and quicker the battery goes (which isn't much of an issue). tape them to watch batteries and you have really cheap small lights you can use on any clear disc. the main issue is taping them on your disc well enough so a tree impact won't knock it off. even easier to find discs than in the day time...
presidio hills
Fairway Surgeon

Postby swel304 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:45 am

I heard radio shack is doing away with the parts drawer section and all that stuff is real cheap at the moment. If your going that route you could probly pick up a large stock of led's even cheaper than usual.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:57 am

all the radioshacks in this area hasnt had much a parts section for a while really sucks too. there was a store called raidoshack.com and they were a parts store it was aswome they had like 9000 different size lightbulbs, on top of led's and all sorts of stuff, they built a best buy there now, so that can give you an idea of how big this radioshack was
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby swel304 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:14 am

I used to work at a radio shack, and this is a bit off topic but... If you want to have some fun while they still have parts, call and ask for a flux capacitor and see how long they look for it! We used to pull that on new people all the time. :lol:
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Granduter » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:35 am

what is radio shack good for besides the parts section. I never need anything else.

I find that glow plastic tends to chip faster than even dx, pro-d or whatever but it feels even better to me than the base plastic
Granduter
Tree Magnet

Postby Thatdirtykid » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:40 am

what is radio shack good for besides the parts section. I never need anything else
cheap rc cars?
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby swel304 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:49 am

radio shack parts are actually pretty high priced, you can find stuff alot cheaper if you look around. In fact everything at RS is freakishly overpriced. You would cry if you saw what the store actually pays for all that junk. As far as rc cars, the xmods are fun to play with, but any real rc car enthusiasts that came in would laugh at the rc stuff.
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Solty » Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:11 am

indeed....my Traxxas T-Maxx 4x4 does a legitament 40mph in real speed. Being it's 1/12 scale...the SOB flies..... Unfortunately, Gas powered RC's is a much more expensive hobby than DG...

mike
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Next

Return to Equipment