polaris/orion/j-ls?

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

polaris/orion/j-ls?

Postby swel304 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:57 am

So I have been using a jls as my primary driver lately with much success. I also have a polaris ls and my friend just got an orion ls. My question is, whats the big difference in all these discs? They all feel pretty much the same, seem to have similar or identical flight characteristics, and even the descriptions on the mellenium website seem to indicate that they are all pretty much the same disc. Long, straight, minimum fade, durable material, effective for most any skill level. Is it just some marketing ploy to keep people buying more discs?
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby bigs348 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:43 am

The Polaris LS was the original long, straight driver from Millenium. The JLS came out after and was supposed to be a more durable version of the LS (hence the J, whatever that stands for.) The Orion LS is relatively new, and is supposed to have the same great, straight flight as the Polaris LS and the JLS, but is supposed to be noticeably longer. Where the Polaris LS and the JLS are more fairway drivers similar to Eagles and Teebirds, but straight, the Orion's distance is just shy of Wraiths, maybe more like Sidewinders and Orcs. I like JLSs -- I don't throw them but I liken them to TLs and they make great straight fairway drivers. I haven't thrown the Orion LS, but I throw the Orion LF (long fade instead of long straight, just a bit more stable), and it's as long as my Wraiths and TeeRexes and very controllable.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby bigs348 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:50 am

As for marketing ploys, all companies (disc or otherwise) are guilty of that, because it's business. You're trying to sell discs. I think Millenium is much better off that other companies though because of their small selection that covers the whole spectrum of golf shots. Their motto is Play Smart. Keep it Simple. Throw Millenium. and I think they're really allowing their customers to do that with the selection that they have. The JLS is an improved Polaris LS, and the Orion LS is a longer Polaris LS. Are they all similar discs? Yes, and there's overlap, but it's not any different from Innova offering a Pro Teebird-L, a Star TL, and a Sidewinder.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby adamschneider » Fri Sep 29, 2006 12:40 pm

So how do other people find the JLS to be compared to, say, a Champ Teebird? I throw both of them pretty darn straight.
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

Postby roadkill » Fri Sep 29, 2006 1:05 pm

Champion teebird is more low speed overstable.

Then again there are many, many different runs of the JLS so I believe there is a range of stability and durability between them. There's often a number printed on the hotstamp running from 1.1 to 1.10 (which is kind of stupid to me since I would think the next number after 1.9 would be 2.0)

Most people I know that throw JLSs today use them as turnover or roller discs. I threw them for awhlie but found them to be squirrely in the wind (elevator action).
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby swel304 » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:50 pm

I had a few dx tee birds I found and never really liked them. I recently found an 11x kc/ce teebird, Its a little better but I still cant throw it as straight as the mellenium plastic, definitly alot more low speed fade. as far as using them for a turnover drive, they must be the perfect speed for my current throw power because I cant turn them with a flat throw, maybe slightly on a good throw but they s right back. They are super straight for me, and probly the longest control driver I can throw properly. I find them to hold a line really well in the wind, is there any disc that doesnt "elevator" from up/down wind?
swel304
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: X Buzzz

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sat Sep 30, 2006 3:16 pm

adamschneider wrote:So how do other people find the JLS to be compared to, say, a Champ Teebird? I throw both of them pretty darn straight.

teebirds are stable, while qjls is speed stable, if you can rip a jls it will be a great anny disc. similar to a CE tl
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby adamschneider » Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:17 pm

Thatdirtykid wrote:teebirds are stable, while qjls is speed stable

What's the difference between "stable" and "speed stable"?
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

Postby Thatdirtykid » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:51 am

some discs fly stable because they are so fast. like can you imagine turning over a wraith your first day out, however the wraith mold isnt stable.

its all about cruise speed, the speed a disc needs to reach for ideal flight. wraiths reach their cruise speed they will turn a while before coming back. If you cant throw the disc fast enough it wont turn over even if its high speed understable.

then theres the teebirds, rocs, predators, wizards ect. that no matter how hard they are thrown, if done so with good form up to most any speed should remain flying stable because the mold of the disc has a stable flight.

Im sure therer are more in depth answers somewhere around here, and I bet they were written by a more articulate person than me, especially at this hour in the morning (Im going to bed this was the last unread topic anyway ;-) )
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:42 am

One of the discs I started with was a polaris; I tried the JLS when it came out but preferred the polaris which seemed more controllable to me.

I do have a SOLF which I think is great. It seems to me less overstable than a wraith. I have more trouble getting it to come back if I turn it over. But I have thrown some of my longest throws with it.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Equipment