Talking bout stalking (stalkers post here)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: a word about the stalker....

Postby some call me...tim? » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:25 am

Any idea how this compares to a Storm?
some call me...tim?
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discspeed » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:31 am

some call me...tim? wrote:Any idea how this compares to a Storm?

It is a driver. The Storm always looked identical to a Cobra to me, and imo it is a long mid. It has a blunt nose and a short rim (1.3cm). As pointed out earlier, the Stalker rim is 1.6, the same as the Gazelle. So the Stalker is faster, more stable, and flies on more of a driver flightpath. It is also much less affected by the wind.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby scoot_er » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:51 pm

I still think I can throw a Storm Farther..........................

I used to love the old X Storms and just for fun threw in a Z-Storm, Z-MRV, and Z-Hawk in the bag. Gotta say the MRV is superior to the Buzzz on many lines and I kinda wish they still made them to fill a niche for certain players who would prefer its feel.

Anyway I am going to work with the Stalker more but as of now it is a more HSS than mas XLs and is almost identical to the flight of my ESP XL. This disc will make it into the bag for this weekend to see if it makes it in for worlds but room is limited if I want to add the ESP Clone,
scoot_er
1000 Rated Poster

Postby SkaBob » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:03 pm

scoot_er wrote:I still think I can throw a Storm Farther..........................

I used to love the old X Storms and just for fun threw in a Z-Storm, Z-MRV, and Z-Hawk in the bag. Gotta say the MRV is superior to the Buzzz on many lines and I kinda wish they still made them to fill a niche for certain players who would prefer its feel.

Anyway I am going to work with the Stalker more but as of now it is a more HSS than mas XLs and is almost identical to the flight of my ESP XL. This disc will make it into the bag for this weekend to see if it makes it in for worlds but room is limited if I want to add the ESP Clone,

heh I said the same thing about the MRV when they killed it...I've got just a silly number of those things!

How MUCH like an ESP XL does the stalker fly at the same weight and power level?

Also, what grip do you throw yours with?
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby discspeed » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:57 am

SkaBob wrote:
How MUCH like an ESP XL does the stalker fly at the same weight and power level?

First of all, I've got three different colors/weights of Stalkers and they fly very similar. ESP XLs are all over the place imo. I had a couple of proto whites that were quite stable when new. I also had a flat red that was even kind of overstable, but I also got domey reds that were REALLY flippy out of the box. My favorites were just some normal white ones that were pretty straight when new.

I find the ESP XL/Z XL to be fundamentally different discs than the Stalker. An XL is an understable mold. It can fly stable, but at some speed not too far from the cruising speed the mold wants to flip. That's how the XL gets its D. The XL also prefers height to fly. You cannot count on XLs to hold a hyzer or fade predictably out of a straight or turned shot. Because of its nature, the XL always favors a hyzer release, no matter what line you're going for.

This Stalker is a fundamentally stable disc. You can throw it with anny and it will fight back. It will also hold a hyzer and fly stable on low line drives. I don't think any Stalkers are going to be flippy out of the box. A good analogy for the XL/Stalker comparison is the Meteor and Buzzz. The XL is like a Meteor, a straight disc designed to flip up and have minimal to zero fade. The Stalker is like a Buzzz, designed to hold its line when thrown hard. I would even add that the Stalker is a bit more HSS than a Buzzz.

Matt-I think you're going to dig the Stalker once you throw it a little more. You can really pinpoint the line and angle of flight in a way I've not been able to do with any of Discraft's other drivers (only Teebirds 8) ).
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby topcide » Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:32 am

The more I throw it, the more I like it. honestly, the stalker may be the straigthest driver I have ever thrown.
topcide
Noob

Postby mzuleger » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:22 am

I can feel the DGR hype kicking in on this disc, I hope the online retailers are prepared!
mzuleger
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: I have issues.

Postby curt » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:25 am

And right after I finally decided to slow down and got my hands on some nice cyclones and am super happy with my bag. Must... Not... Buy... A... Stalker...
curt
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby adamschneider » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:31 am

How is a Stalker different from a Tracker?
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

Postby Jesse B 707 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:33 am

adamschneider wrote:How is a Stalker different from a Tracker?

uhhhh, it has glide, its a good deal less LS and HS stable, for me it is longer
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Jsw » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:44 pm

Whats the difference between this and the ESP Cyclone? Less HSS and slower?

I'm still testing the ESP Cyclone(loving it). So many discs, so little time.
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby Jesse B 707 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:54 pm

Jsw wrote:Whats the difference between this and the ESP Cyclone? Less HSS and slower?

i still have not tossed an ESP clone
http://ufosdg.org/
XXX,PD2,BOSS,KATANA,PD,ROC,VP,RATTLER,MAGNET
Jesse B 707
Rocstar

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby Timko » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:20 pm

Jsw wrote:Whats the difference between this and the ESP Cyclone? Less HSS and slower?

Haven't thrown both but I bet that's the difference.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Jsw » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:21 pm

Cool, kind of what I figured.

Guys, try the ESP Cyclone! Its so glidey and tasty. A work-horse driver for sure - I'm reaching for it off the tee probably 60% of the time. The rest of the time I'm either muscling a roc or I'm hyzer flipping a distance driver. Great 'glue' between mid range and distance driver. Making a strong case to replace my Teebirds, only time will tell.
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby Redisculous » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:51 am

I talked to Discraft sponsored pro Chris Heeren tonight at leagues about the stalker after watching him throw it perfectly straight about 350' (a rough estimate by me, he is always making up "long tee's" at our local course) & he said the description of "longer buzz" pretty much holds true. He also mentioned that of the two he had, one of them was a touch less HSS than the other (I believe his yellow one was the one that was less stable even though it was heavier than his orange one).

I love watching that guy throw, the discs sound like rockets coming out of his hand.
Anode | Comet | Axis |Vector | PPD | SPD | CPD
Redisculous
Fairway Surgeon

Location: Southern Wisconsin, where the best courses are in Illinois!
Favorite Disc: Axis

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment