Talking bout stalking (stalkers post here)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: a word about the stalker....

Postby Hoey » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:34 am

mzuleger wrote:I can feel the DGR hype kicking in on this disc, I hope the online retailers are prepared!

I don't even think Discraft was prepared. They were sold out after only a very short time.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby Jsw » Sat Jul 18, 2009 5:01 pm

Hey discspeed, can you give me any word on this disc VS. ESP Cyclone?

Somebody on my card today was trying out the Stalker and bitching that it was too stable compared to what he had in mind. I really wanted to give it a few rips since I love stable. Anyway - I'm loving the ESP cyclone - but I can see I might need something a TAD faster and more stable(the Cyclone is a laser on hard rips, but I'm scared its going to get understable too soon).

Sounds like the Stalker MIGHT be a good alternative. But I'll probably just end up cycling(pun intended) Cyclones.
Jsw
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: DGR's Night-Owl

Postby scoot_er » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:29 pm

Stable as is in has HSS and doesn't want to flip over. I would assume unless you have 350ft power you would need to give this disc a little anhyzer to get the preferred flight. I am also liking this disc because you can throw it turned over and get a straight flight.
scoot_er
1000 Rated Poster

Postby discspeed » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:16 am

Jsw wrote:Hey discspeed, can you give me any word on this disc VS. ESP Cyclone?

Somebody on my card today was trying out the Stalker and bitching that it was too stable compared to what he had in mind. I really wanted to give it a few rips since I love stable. Anyway - I'm loving the ESP cyclone - but I can see I might need something a TAD faster and more stable(the Cyclone is a laser on hard rips, but I'm scared its going to get understable too soon).

Sounds like the Stalker MIGHT be a good alternative. But I'll probably just end up cycling(pun intended) Cyclones.

I haven't thrown an ESP Cyclone, but I know how Cyclones fly, and it seems from all the talk on here that they fly pretty true to Cyclone form. So I'll speculate...

The Stalker is kind of a power disc like a Teebird or Buzzz. On a weak throw these discs tank, but give them some speed and rpms and they seem to glide beautifully for days. These discs excel at low line drive and direct shots.

The Cyclone is more a touch disc like a Comet. It is a bit slower, but with a smaller amount of power it will fly longer. It looks prettiest on touch shots and is weak when overpowered.

Stability-wise the two discs are fundamentally different. The cyclone is designed to turn itself over and then stable out. The Stalker is designed to fly straight without turning or fading, and it is the easiest driver I've thrown to do this with.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby discspeed » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:27 am

I've been testing the Stalker rigorously. Yesterday I played a mini tourney in an old quarry, so I got to see how elevation, wind, and unfortunately rain would affect the Stalker.

First thing I learned is that the Stalker is BARELY overstable. Like a new Buzzz, you could take a new (and heavy) Stalker out on a no wind day and think it was pretty overstable. A little headwind will teach you that the Stalker is a STRAIGHT disc. The wind has not turned and burned my Stalker (at least not without my help :roll: ), but it has really straightened out shots that I wanted to hold hyzer. SO...the Stalker is even more like a Buzzz than I initially thought, and I'm keeping an overstable Teebird in the bag for windy days.

My Stalker is starting to break in for sure. It has lost its brand new overstableness and now requires a touch of hyzer if I'm trying to throw farther than 330'. It does not really S in flight, but rather turns slightly and holds it to the ground. This disc is almost exactly where I want it to be (between a TB and a TL) now, so I'm hoping I'm into the sweet spot and that it won't change much more for a long time. This disc also is starting to surprise me with the distance it can get, especially with a tailwind. If you get it turned it holds it forever.
discspeed

Postby Banzai » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:32 am

discspeed wrote:I haven't thrown an ESP Cyclone, but I know how Cyclones fly, and it seems from all the talk on here that they fly pretty true to Cyclone form. So I'll speculate...

The Stalker is kind of a power disc like a Teebird or Buzzz. On a weak throw these discs tank, but give them some speed and rpms and they seem to glide beautifully for days. These discs excel at low line drive and direct shots.

The Cyclone is more a touch disc like a Comet. It is a bit slower, but with a smaller amount of power it will fly longer. It looks prettiest on touch shots and is weak when overpowered.

Stability-wise the two discs are fundamentally different. The cyclone is designed to turn itself over and then stable out. The Stalker is designed to fly straight without turning or fading, and it is the easiest driver I've thrown to do this with.

Having thrown both, this is exactly my experience. I wouldn't say "weak when overpowered" probably because I haven't ever thrown it over 360' :oops: . Another thing: Cyclone requires much more height to fly far, whereas the stalker can be thrown like a distance driver. That's cool because the ESP Cyclone is pretty nose angle *insensitive*, whereas the stalker will stall on you.
ridge | roc | river | pd
Banzai
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Ridge

Postby J-Man » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:27 pm

sounds like a disc to try, now finding one at 170 in blue or white, that's going to be the tough part.
Team Oregon Ambassador@Large
J-Man
1000 Rated Poster

Postby dgdave » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:30 pm

The blue Z stalker plastic is the shit. I wish I had all mt drivers in that plastic.
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby erb » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:01 pm

just had a few throws with the Stalker today. Was a yellow at 172. I'm just getting over my tennis elbow so I'm not getting the snap and as good as form as i normally have. But first impression in a word, GLIDE! Didn't seem to drop an inch during the flight till the very end then it hyzered out. I think when I get my full snap back I will be able to really get the disc to hyzer with more forward penetration. When I threw it it almost didn't want to do any thing less than 400 it just wants to glide. It was very effortless disc to throw. But again that was with 3 throws and I'm still at 85% so that's all the further i can talk about it, but i think I'm going to get one.
erb
Tree Magnet

Postby erb » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:48 pm

discspeed wrote: if you
Like throwing Buzzzes and trying to stretching them out. it's for you
Are sponsered by Discraft...every one of their guys WILL be throwing this, mark my words.

(i edited your words), but this man speaks the truth.
erb
Tree Magnet

Postby scoot_er » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:34 pm

erb wrote:
discspeed wrote: if you
Like throwing Buzzzes and trying to stretching them out. it's for you
Are sponsered by Discraft...every one of their guys WILL be throwing this, mark my words.

(i edited your words), but this man speaks the truth.

How much do your words cost? If its $20 I can find a way to keep it out. :P :P

Nah this disc is pretty solid and so far it gets a 8.5 on my scale which is higher than most discs that come out these days.
scoot_er
1000 Rated Poster

Postby domromer » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:34 pm

How is compare to a JLS? Longer, slower, more stable, more /less glide?
If all you ever do is all you've ever done, then all you'll ever get is all you've ever got

http://www.dustybootsphotography.com
domromer
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: JLS....Bitches!

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:46 am

Compared to a dx TeeBird, does the z Stalker have more, less, about the same glide do you think?

People I talk to are saying it has less glide, but I am not convinced. What do you guys think?
Things that fly, or mostly fly.
Eric
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Smiley Face!

Postby BLURR » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:47 am

I had a chance to throw one this past weekend and I would say that it has probably a notch less glide than the dx teebird. After throwing it, I now want an X-Stalker...that thing would be pimp.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby discspeed » Tue Jul 21, 2009 5:55 am

domromer wrote:How is compare to a JLS? Longer, slower, more stable, more /less glide?

Comparable speed, more glide, similar distance, more stability. However, when I say similar distance the JLS would be doing an S curve and the Stalker would be straight the whole way. The Stalker will fly farther on a lower line as well and the JLS is better with some height.
discspeed

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment