Talking bout stalking (stalkers post here)

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: a word about the stalker....

Postby Aubin » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:06 pm

just picked one up... nice disc. it's bigger than i thought it would be (both rim size and diameter), and right now seems to fly like my star teebird with a little more glide and a hair less stable.

the best part is that it seems to release just right; my TL's fly very similar but could sometimes rip out of the hand a little off (my fault, not the disc)... the stalker rips out clean on line every time. thumbs up.
ChallengerMagnetCometTeebirdsDestroyersPredator
Aubin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: APX

Postby SkaBob » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:19 pm

OK so I picked one up today...nice, gummy orange one marked 170.

Interesting disc!

I threw it side by side with my workhorse Z Surge SS at a course that's a convered ball golf course. Most of the holes are long, but placement is key above and beyond distance.

The thing that was really surprising me about it is the number of times it was within 10-15 feet of my Surge. I was throwing the Surge on the high percentage lines for the lies I wanted, which usually involved a flip or turnover, to make it around the trees (the course zig zags ACROSS a lot of the ball golf fairways, so there's lots of treelines to cross strategically). I was throwing the Stalker on a bee-line to the pin anywhere I could, and only had to hyzer/anhyzer it on a couple shots.

I seriously thought it'd be shorter than it is. The glide it's got surprised me more than the HSS did, but the HSS is pretty interesting! I put it out 380 or so at least 3 or 4 times.

That said, this was an all out, crush your balls off kind of course. I'm looking forward to tomrorow, when I should be able to take it to both courses at Hudson Mills and see how it likes the woods...
I threw Wizards before they were cool.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 25, 2009 5:06 am

I'm real interested in what you think after your next rounds, SkaBob.
Things that fly, or mostly fly.
Eric
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Smiley Face!

Postby colombo117 » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:18 pm

I just picked up a 170g orange one, but I have not been able to throw it yet. The rim looks like a leopard rim only with a small bead on it. I am hoping to get out tomorrow and give it a toss.
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby Pat » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:33 pm

Can anyone compare the stalker to a Champion Eagle L??
Keep on Chooglin'
Pat
1000 Rated Poster

Postby SkaBob » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:07 pm

OK here's the word after throwing it some more:

Good utility disc. I'm used to throwing an ESP Avenger for this slot, so I'm used to planning some fade into the line I throw. I was off right quite a few times with the Stalker, just trying to adjust. I was turning it a bit more today (I was throwing it harder, and there was a bit more wind). It's still freaky long, and I had quite a few good shots on nice open holes with it.

I threw it quite a few times on shorter holes, and had mixed results. If you make sure you don't put too much hyzer angle on it, it's a nice disc. Too much, and it's sailing off-line.

The way it does that, and the way it flies in general remind me very much of a Z Storm, just longer.

I almost aced with mine today! Threw a nice, shallow hyzer and splashed into the basket, then bounced out because it just had too much juice on it!

It's going to stay in my bag a while, to be sure. I still don't think it will replace my Avenger as my fairway driver, but I think I'll find it VERY useful for placement shots, and long corridors. That said, I didn't throw it on a lot of big hyzers/anhyzers, so I'm still not sure how it fares on those lines.
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby RS39 » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:17 am

Playing after a hog roast, in very gusty weather....

The form that will get a Striker 320 gets a Stalker 290. But the Stalker generally does not flex out it's flight, nor twitch in hard wind shifts like the Striker does. Stalker also holds very nice anny. Stalker seems to require an 8/10 minimum huk to fly right.

I'm looking fwd to some wooded corridors at Massillon and Euclid :)
Jokeri, Wasp, Fuse, Timberwolf, PD, Predator
RS39
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Earthless@Roadburn

Postby dgdave » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:08 pm

Is the ESP going to be ran again or only for the protos?
"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby SkaBob » Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:54 pm

hmm...so I've had the stalker in my bag for a few weeks. 5-6 rounds of golf, I think. Well, more if you count the day josser was in town and we played all over the place heh

I still like the flight, but I'm starting to think more and more it might not be as good a candidate for my workhorse control driver slot as I originally thought. It still feels odd to my hand, so it could well be that I just need more time with it, but I keep pulling it out when it counts (ie- money rounds) and afterwards wish I'd thrown my ESP Avenger. Having thrown it a bunch I've really started trying to work it on a few lines, and it's pretty hard to get into them. If it flipped more, it'd be easier to control...if that makes any sense. So, I figure if the production model is anything like the first runs (it's usually more overstable, if past experience is any indicator), it'll probably be decent when it's really gotten beat in a bit. I don't know how it'll fade at that point, though. Maybe a really light one is more what I'm looking for, but my light one is 170g and is orange (notoriously one of the flippiest colors of elite-Z plastic).

I'll have to see, I guess!
SkaBob
Disc Whore

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:31 pm

I wanted to bring this back since I have been throwing an ESP and a Z Stalker for a few rounds now. I have been using this as a second control driver. For me I can get it out as far as my Eagles but that is not the disc's strong point. I find it excels best at shots that are between rocs and eagles (for me that is 300-330) or shots that have a low ceiling.

This disc is great at being throw at 80% power and flipping up to flat, especially the ESP which I like way more than the Z. It fights low and moderate winds well enough and can be worked on a lot of lines easily.

This has also got me thinking about the fact that there is almost two different types of control drivers. Eagles, Teebirds, and strikers can be longer control drivers while cyclones, JLS, and the stalkerr are shorter. Maybe not shorter, a better way to say it would be that they require more height to get things done.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Anakha » Sun Aug 23, 2009 6:43 pm

How about some updates on Stalker vs. Cyclone?
Anakha
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Rawww!

Postby Flipflat » Sun Aug 23, 2009 7:22 pm

Anakha wrote:How about some updates on Stalker vs. Cyclone?

I think they're pretty different discs, can't really compare them. With my power (330ish' on a good day), I use my elite-x cyclone as a dead straight shot. Turns over a little and just hooks up for me, doesn't fade until the very end. It's my favorite disc. For a stable driver I'm using a nite-glo stalker- I'll throw it flat and it'll go straight for a bit then gracefully fade, nice on long hyzer shots too. Perhaps the stalker is out of my power range, but for me, they're totally different discs.
I would like your X-Wasps, please.
Flipflat
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: buzzz

Postby black udder » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:43 am

For my power right now, in the 300-330' range, I've found the stalker to be a good disc. Tad less overstable than a teebird, tad more overstable than a TL. Thus, I get the long straight of my TL with a predictable fade at the end like a teebird. I pull it out for shots where I don't want to go left (since it doesn't flip over for me) and I want it to fade sooner rather than just dropping off as the power runs out.
black udder
Naturally Athletic

Favorite Disc: The one in my hand

Postby adamschneider » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:46 am

Frank Delicious wrote:This has also got me thinking about the fact that there is almost two different types of control drivers. Eagles, Teebirds, and strikers can be longer control drivers while cyclones, JLS, and the striker are shorter. Maybe not shorter, a better way to say it would be that they require more height to get things done.

You meant "Stalker" in the first group, right?
adamschneider
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: 164g Halo

Postby Timko » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:56 am

I would put the Stalker in the Cyclone/JLS group and the Striker in the Teebizzle/Eagle group. Leopard also goes in the 1st group, as does the Gazelle and the [censored].
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment